From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

World peace meeting proves timely for religious leaders

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 14 Sep 1998 13:45:05

Sept. 14, 1998	Contact: Linda Bloom*(212) 870-3803*New York
10-71B{525}

By United Methodist News Service

In a period of bombings and terrorist threats, an international peace
meeting bringing together leaders of various religions "seemed
especially timely," according to the president of the  World Methodist
Council.

Frances Alguire of New Buffalo, Mich., was among the participants of the
12th International Meeting of People and Religions, Aug. 30-Sept. 1, in
Bucharest, Romania. With the theme, "Peace is the Name of God: God,
Mankind and Peoples," the event was organized by the Community of St.
Egidio, with assistance from the Orthodox and Catholic communities in
Romania.

The event offers an opportunity for dialogue among Muslims, Orthodox,
Catholic, Protestant, Jewish and other religious groups, said Alguire,
who also attended the 1996 and 1997 meetings. In Bucharest, she added,
"it was historic from the standpoint that Catholic and Orthodox had
never in the history of Romania worshipped together before."

The laywoman noted that her participation in the meetings has
demonstrated to leaders from the Catholic and Orthodox traditions, which
do not ordain women, that "Methodists believe in women assuming
leadership roles."

"At least I'm paving the way so that future ordained women will be
accepted," Alguire said. "They'll know that women can participate and
women can lead."

In a panel discussion, "The Ecumenical Movement in the Third
Millennium," Alguire told participants that "ecumenical dialogues are an
ongoing outreach of world Methodists."

She noted that bilateral dialogues between Methodists and Roman
Catholics, Lutherans, the Reformed Churches, Anglicans and the Orthodox
either have recently occurred or are scheduled to take place.

"Bilateral and multilateral dialogues are important," Alguire said.
"Deep gratitude is due theological scholars who share a oneness of faith
in Jesus Christ and a willingness to spend countless hours studying
doctrinal differences."

Besides Christian unity and cooperation, ecumenism "can also mean
restoration of the whole inhabited earth," she added.

"The kingdom of God is in our midst: our neighbors are all of
humankind," Alguire said. "Our measure of success is when the ecumenical
spirit of unity becomes universal and each human being is provided an
opportunity to participate in life to the fullest."

The meeting's participants issued an appeal for peace. "In these days,
God has made us more conscious of the sacred value of peace...The
Almighty is, by his own nature, the God of peace; therefore religions
never justify hatred, violence and war."

While the religious leaders admitted they have "neither material power
nor instruments of force... we are convinced that, from the depth of our
religious traditions, a 'weak strength' which can change the world wells
up. This is the strength of religion - faith and love."

Alguire was called on for a more somber duty during the conference.
Someone came to the meeting seeking a Methodist who could conduct a
memorial service for a young United Methodist man from Texas who had
been killed in a car accident in Romania.

Alguire said she found two Romanian clergy members, one Anglican and one
Catholic, who agreed to help her. "Through an interpreter, we put a
service together."