From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist Church to Pass 10 Million Member Mark

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 16 Sep 1998 11:48:51

September 16, 1998
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
98/SEPT/03

SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH TO PASS 10 MILLION
MEMBER MARK THIS MONTH

Basel, Switzerland, 15.09.1998  [APD/ANN] The Seventh-day
Adventist Church, a worldwide Protestant Free Church, is
expected to pass the ten-million member mark this month,
according to projections based on current net growth rates.

"Assuming the growth rates we have recorded this year, we
anticipate gaining our ten-millionth member this month,"
says Charles Taylor, statistician for the Church's Global
Mission office. "The statistics indicate that we will pass ten
million on September 24, though of course this date is based
on averages and projected increases rather than final reports."

"This is great good news," responds Robert S. Folkenberg,
world president for the Adventist Church. "More than
numbers and data, we see God's hand in bringing so many
to a better understanding of His gospel of salvation; people
changed and now dedicated to true Christian living. As we
pass this milestone in our experience, we give God the glory
for all He has done."

On September 24, Adventist Church leaders from around the
world will be meeting in Brazil to develop plans reaching into
the new millennium, says Folkenberg.

"The consciousness of the ten million member number will
undoubtedly bring great encouragement as we plan together
for the future, knowing it is God who leads," Folkenberg
concluded.

Some 25 million Christians, in over 200 countries regard the
Seventh-day Adventist Church as their spiritual home,
including the ten million adult baptised church member.
They practise believer's baptism by immersion and include
foot washing as part of the communion service
(Lord's supper).

Though the Adventist Church is not a member of the World
Council of Churches (WCC), it recognises those church
agencies that lift up Christ as a part of the divine plan for
the evangelisation of the world and holds in high esteem
fellow Christians in other Christian communities who
are engaged in winning souls for Christ.

The Adventist Church is regularly represented through
observers or advisers at WCC and other church meetings.
Since 1968 the General Conference of Seventh-day
Adventists has been represented at the annual conferences
of secretaries of the Christian World Communions (CWC).