From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Hungarian Church Leaders Outline Challenges of New Era

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 23 Sep 1998 20:04:01

98310

    Hungarian Church Leaders
    Outline Challenges of New Era

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-When the Soviet Union collapsed and the Iron Curtain fell
in 1989, the people of Central and Eastern Europe breathed the air of
freedom for the first time in more than 40 years.

    With that freedom came unprecedented opportunities - and daunting
challenges - for the churches in former communist countries.  For the
Reformed Church in Hungary, founded in 1567 and now comprising 21 percent
of the country's population, much is expected.  The fledgling Hungarian
government, struggling to learn the ways of democracy, has come to rely on
the church for many health, welfare and educational services.

    One constant for the Reformed Church in Hungary throughout its recent
history has been the support of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).  And so
the recent visit by two leaders of the Hungarian Church - Bishop Gusztav
Bolcskei and chief ecumenical officer Bertalan Tamas - was equal parts
thanksgiving and a search for more help.

    "Our relations with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is important, so
this visit is important," Bolcskei told the Presbyterian News Service in a
Sept. 15 interview.  "We have the possibility to build a new relationship
since the changes [in 1989] and there are many challenges which we have
never faced."

    Bolcskei said Hungary is dealing with a multicultural society - borders
that were once closed are now open and Hungarian minorities live in
numerous surrounding countries.  In addition, the Hungarian economy, which
is relatively strong compared to that of some its neighbors, is attracting
workers from nearby countries.

    In addition, the newly open society has given the church much greater
visibility, though in an increasingly secular culture.  How to carve out a
role for itself in a free society is a task the current generation of
church leaders has not faced before.  There is no more persecution or
oppression of the church in Hungary, but neither is there yet a clear-cut
identity for a church that witnessed in the shadows of the Iron Curtain.

    "The churches are expected to do a lot more," said Tamas.  "Hungarian
church life was more traditional before, but now we need evangelization and
social ministry.  We can learn from your experience."

    "We cannot avoid these challenges," Bolcskei added.  Noting recent
efforts by the church to develop ministry to disabled children, the
elderly, drug addicts, the homeless and children of working parents,
Bolcskei said, "These challenges all came up rapidly and simultaneously and
the government just can't handle it all."

    Unique church/government partnerships are developing, as well as
cooperation between the Reformed Church in Hungary and the Roman Catholic
Church.  "Some of these programs are partly financed by the state," Tamas
explained.  "If the church takes over a function, we all agree that the
state should help support it."

    And despite their different historical approaches - the Roman Catholic
Church appealed more to the "cultural elite" while the Reformed Church drew
primarily from the working class - "there are now many common goals and
elements to the ministry of our churches," said Bolsckei.  "So there is a
cooperative relationship, which is a new and positive experience for us."

    This new way of being the church in Hungary has taxed the church's
educational system.  "We would like to preserve the old tradition of
classical education," Tamas said, "but we must increase our training."
Specialized ministry is becoming an increasing focus of theological
training in Hungary's four seminaries.  "The big question," Bolcskei noted,
"is how to guide candidates into the pastoral work for which they are best
suited."

    The church is also placing a higher priority on elder training, and in
Debrecen, the religious "capital" of Hungary's Reformed Christians, "there
is good cooperation between the Reformed College and the state university
in such areas as teacher training and clinical pastoral education," Tamas
said.

    Both leaders expressed gratitude for the relationship between their
church and the PC(USA).  "Your church maintained its relationship with us
even during the difficult communist days and found ways to help," Bolcskei
said.  "Now this is a new day - the church is more visible and questions
and problems can be discussed openly and more cooperatively."

    And though the issues are tough ones for the Reformed Church in Hungary
and its partners such as the PC(USA), Bolcskei and Tamas remain, as always,
indomitable.  "We've come to discuss where we go from here with all the
political changes that have affected us," Bolcskei said, "but the end of
all this is safely in the hands of God."