From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop Calls for Prayer

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 24 Sep 1998 14:15:58

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 24, 1998

ELCA PRESIDING BISHOP CALLS FOR PRAYER
98-34-195-BW

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), issued the following
statment on Thursday, Sept. 24:
     "In the midst of the current crisis in the presidency, I join with
other leaders of faith communities in calling for a time of prayer.  Our
elected representatives who now face important decisions deserve our
support and our insistence upon a fair and bipartisan deliberative process.
To our president the Church extends the promise of God's forgiveness.
Forgiveness of sin, however, does not repair the damage that has been done.
Personal vows and a sacred public trust have been broken.  In the weeks to
come, our constitutional process will need to determine the president's
continuing fitness to serve.  Let us pray for wisdom and courage, both for
our leaders and for ourselves."

For information contact:
Frank Imhoff, Assoc. Director 1-773-380-2955 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html