From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventists to Launch Largest-Ever Global Satellite Outreach

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 26 Sep 1998 09:20:50

September 26, 1998
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
98/SEPT/07

ADVENTIST CHURCH TO LAUNCH LARGEST-EVER GLOBAL
SATELLITE OUTREACH

Silver Spring, Maryland/USA, 27.09.1998  [ANN/APD] Net '98,
the largest-ever global satellite outreach program of the
Seventh-day Adventist Church, launches October 9. The series
of broadcasts will be down-linked to over 4,600 locations
around the world, with an additional 3,000 participating on a
delayed basis using video tapes.

"We estimate between 100 - 200 persons attending per
location," says Brad Thorp, director for the Adventist Global
Communication Network, which is co-ordinating the
broadcasts world-wide. "That means with 7,600 locations we
would have between 750,000 to 1.5 million per session
attending, and I would not be surprised that it will go higher
than this."

Net '98 is unquestionably the largest such outreach program
ever attempted by the Seventh-day Adventist Church, and in
terms of total sites, duration, and numbers world-wide, may
be the largest ever undertaken by a religious organisation.

"Overall, with the total series and adding all the people every
night who attend, we could have between 35-40 million
people as a cumulative total who see and hear these
messages of the gospel," Thorp continues. "This does not
count the many people who  will be blessed through the
repetition of the program through future broadcasts or VHS
tapes being reused. This is a thrilling and really awesome
possibility."

More than 200 countries are expected to participate, and the
live transmissions of evangelist Dwight Nelson from
Michigan/USA will feature simultaneous translation into more
than 40 languages. 98/SEPT/07