From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Hosts Mr. Arafat in New York

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 26 Sep 1998 18:53:22

National Council of the Churches of Christ USA
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

NCC9/26/98             FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MR. ARAFAT'S FIRST STOP IN NEW YORK SEPTEMBER 26 -
A RECEPTION HOSTED BY THE (U.S.) NATIONAL COUNCIL OF
CHURCHES

 NEW YORK, Sept. 26 ---- Over the past 20 years,
Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has hosted many
official delegations and study groups from the
(U.S.) National Council of Churches and its member
denominations, all long-time advocates for
Palestinian self-determination as a requirement for
real peace in the Middle East.

This afternoon, the NCC had the opportunity to
return the favor.  A reception at the New York City
apartment of the NCC's General Secretary, the Rev.
Dr. Joan Campbell, was Mr. Arafat's first
appointment upon arrival from Europe to participate
in the United Nations General Assembly.

Dr. Campbell and the 40 or so others on hand
rehearsed the protocol of such a visit, designating
the bishops to greet the guest of honor first.  Dr.
Campbell brought out a Palestinian shawl that Mr.
Arafat had given her on one of her visits to the
Middle East and draped it across the back of the
chair where Mr. Arafat was to sit.

In the midst of tight security, Mr. Arafat was
greeted formally in the apartment house lobby by Dr.
Campbell; Metropolitan Philip Saliba of the
Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese; Mr. Gabriel Habib,
NCC consultant on international affairs and former
General Secretary of the Middle East Council of
Churches, and Mr. David Weaver, NCC Middle East
Secretary.

But from the moment he arrived at the apartment
itself, Mr. Arafat set his own course.  He plunged -
democratically, one might say - into the living room
crowd, shaking hands left and right.

One of the first persons he singled out to
greet was the cook.  Along the way, he exchanged a
soul handshake with a teenaged boy, fed a meatball
hors d'oeuvre to a three-year-old, posed for dozens
of pictures -- including one with Dr. Campbell's
Jewish houseguests -- and embraced the Lebanese-
American doorman, who came to the reception to thank
Mr. Arafat for saving his aunt's life during the
civil war in Lebanon.  (She was part of a group of
nuns taken hostage, then released following Mr.
Arafat's intervention.)

Mr. Arafat never made it to his designated
chair, but he did stand still long enough to
exchange formal greetings with Dr. Campbell and to
take a few questions.

Dr. Campbell commented that those assembled
included bishops and mission agency executives of
the NCC's member communions, along with senior NCC
staff.  She recalled her first meeting with Mr.
Arafat in 1979, arranged by Mr. Habib.

Mr. Arafat gave a brief update on the peace
process, noting that he would meet with U.S.
Secretary of State Madeline Albright that same
evening and with President Clinton on Tuesday.

"President Clinton says he wishes for progress
because it will have a beneficial impact on the
whole of the Middle East, as the Palestinian problem
is the central one in the Middle East," said Mr.
Arafat, who is Chairman of the Palestine Liberation
Organization's Executive Committee and President of
the Palestine National Authority.

Awaiting formal response from the Israeli
government is a U.S. proposal for the second phase
of the Israeli withdrawal from the occupied West
Bank, that would transfer 13 percent of the land to
the Palestine National Authority, reserving three
percent as a restricted nature preserve for the
interim period.

"We accepted the Americans' initiative eight
months ago," Mr. Arafat said, "but we are still
waiting for a comparable yes from the Israelis.
We've got to continue to be optimistic.  The last
poll found that 64 percent of Israelis support the
peace process and the American initiative.  It's our
reason for hope."

Dr. Dale L. Bishop, General Secretary of the
United Church of Christ Board for World Ministries
and former Middle East Secretary for the NCC, the
UCC and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ),
thanked Mr. Arafat for his leadership in the
Palestine National Authority to create an
environment in which all religious traditions are
respected and for his "special care to make the
Christian community feel secure."

"We are proud as Palestinians," Mr. Arafat
replied, "that our relationship with our Christian
community is a very, very strong one."  He
introduced two Christian members of his entourage,
and encouraged those present to "come to Bethlehem"
to join Bethlehem 2000, the official interfaith
celebrations of the millennium, recognizing it's
"not just a Palestinian occasion and not just a
Christian occasion.  It's really a Christian, a
Muslim and an international occasion and even some
Jewish groups will be participating."

Dr. Campbell encouraged Mr. Arafat to mention
to Mrs. Albright that he had just been hosted by the
NCC, "and that a strong group of U.S. Christians
wants the peace process carried out.  Bring her our
greetings and tell her lots of Americans are
watching."

Thirty-four Protestant, Orthodox and Anglican
denominations (communions) with, in turn, 52 million
congregants, work together as members in the
National Council of Churches, the nation's leading
ecumenical organization.

-end-
 -0-