From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Hispanic/Latina Presbyterian Women Hold Second "Encuentro"

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 28 Sep 1998 20:08:05

98309

    Hispanic/Latina Presbyterian Women
    Hold Second "Encuentro"

    by Yolanda Hernandez

SAN ANTONIO, Texas-Gathered under the theme "Open my eyes and I will see
the wonderful truths of your Word," more than 400 Hispanic/Latina
Presbyterian women from all over the United States and Puerto Rico
celebrated the Second National Encuentro ("encounter") at Trinity
University here in mid-July.

    "If believing in the rights of women and defending them makes me a
feminist, then I am a feminist," said keynote speaker the Rev. Daisy
Machado, program director for the Hispanic Theological Initiative at Emory
University in Atlanta.  "But more than I am a feminist I am a Christian,
and it is my faith that encourages me to demand equality for all of God's
creatures.

    "Jesus healed the blind man at Bethsaida and opened the eyes of his
disciples.  But what about our eyes?" Machado asked.  "Are we blind to the
abuses that in the name of our cultural heritage and our faith are
committed against women?"

    The triennial conference - designed as an opportunity for spiritual
growth and professional development of Spanish-speaking women - also
featured Bible study led by Ana Ines Braulio-Corchado, who is a retired
executive for the Synod of Puerto Rico.  She invited Encuentro participants
to "read the scriptures through the eyes of women, unearthing from the text
all the women who were protagonists in the history of Israel, in the
ministry of Jesus and in the beginnings of the church, and who are - or
should be - our models for ministry."

    The Bible study used a methodology developed by Lois M. Wilson of the
United Church of Canada in her book "Telling Her Story: Theology Out of
Women's Struggles."  The Spanish version of the book was published by
Bridge Resources of the Curriculum Publishing Program Area (CPPA) in
Louisville to coincide with the Encuentro.  The Rev. Jaime Delgado,
associate for curriculum development for CPPA presented the book, saying,
"With this book we thank women, who are the backbone of Sunday schools in
our denomination, and we invite the entire church to renew its educational
ministry."

    Also present at the event were five international guests from sister
churches in Colombia, Guatemala, Mexico and Nicaragua, as well as
representatives from various PC(USA) offices around the country.  "I've
been waiting for this day for a whole year," said the Rev. Barbara Dua,
associate director for women's ministries in the National Ministries
Division in Louisville. "You, the Hispanic women, are a marvelous gift to
the Presbyterian Church."

    Following a mandate from the First Encuentro, which was held in April
1995 in Albuquerque, N.M., the Second Encuentro served as a platform for
the organization of the National Association of Presbyterian
Hispanic/Latina Women.  Newly elected officers of the Association are elder
Rosy Aja-Munoz from the Synod of South Atlantic, moderator; elder Florence
Vargas of the Synod of Puerto Rico, vice moderator; elder Hilda Cuadra,
Synod of Southern California and Hawaii, secretary; elder Hagar Ben¡tez of
the Synod of Southern California and Hawaii, treasurer; and the Rev. Aleida
Jernigan of the Synod of the Northeast, spiritual coordinator.

    The Encuentro program continues to expand.  The Second National
Encuentro served as a springboard for regional Encuentros in 1999, which
will be organized and led by leaders and participants from each synod.