From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Alvin Jackson installed at National City Church

From "Curt Miller"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 09 Oct 1998 12:05:51

Date: October 9, 1998
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Curt Miller
Email: CMiller@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

98a-63

	WASHINGTON, D.C. (DNS) -- National City Christian Church here was
filled to capacity as the Rev. Alvin O'Neal Jackson was installed
Oct. 4 as senior pastor of a historic church sometimes referred to as
the Disciples' "national cathedral."

	More than two dozen members of Mississippi Boulevard Christian
Church honored their former pastor at the installation attended by
more than 900 persons. During Jackson's 17-year ministry at the
Memphis, Tenn., congregation, membership swelled from 340 to more
than 8,000, making it the largest congregation in the Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ).

	Jackson preached his first sermon at National City Church Palm
Sunday. Among the early visions Jackson shared with his new
congregation was growth in membership — tripling or quadrupling the
size of the present 462-member congregation within five years.

	But the new pastor elevates a mission that goes far beyond filling
pews with warm bodies. "I see a diverse, multi-cultural congregation
of white, black, brown, primarily middle class, but also rich and
poor people of God. A national church with an international flavor. A
denominational church with an inter-denominational spirit. An inner
city church with a suburban appeal,"  he wrote to his new
congregation.

	"Alvin Jackson is the right man at the right place at the right
time," said the Rev. Joan Brown Campbell, general secretary of the
National Council of Churches of Christ in the USA, at a
pre-installation banquet. Jackson, she said, is called to serve in a
church "in a city with tremendous challenges — to bear witness to a
nation that needs models of inclusiveness."

	Hundreds of persons from Disciples congregations, regions, general
ministries and Disciples institutions of higher education filled the
sanctuary. The Rev. Chris Hobgood, Capital Area regional minister,
pointed out there are 26 Disciples congregations in and around
Washington, D.C. "National City Christian Church is not the only
Disciples witness in the nation's capital," he said. But "this should
be the flagship church of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)—
through example, through being a teaching church, as a prophetic
national pulpit, as a model of inclusive ministry. …The opportunity
for National City is unparalleled. It stands at a remarkable moment
of potential for our larger church, not only in this region but
across the nation and world," Hobgood said.

	National City Christian Church is unique among the nearly 3,900
congregations of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Established in 1926, it is the church that Disciples forbear
Alexander Campbell envisioned when he wrote, "We ought to have the
largest meeting house in Washington City, and there … stand in the
presence of kings and earth's nobility, and proclaim the gospel. …"

	National City is supported, in part, by Basic Mission Finance, the
"family treasury" of the denomination. The congregation's local
affairs and programs are managed by the pastors and conventional
church board. The National City Christian Church Corporation, a
separate body representing the whole church, owns the property and
manages resources for the maintenance of the historic sanctuary, its
related buildings and property.

	The Rev. James A. Forbes, Jr., pastor of Riverside Church, New York
City, preached the installation sermon. "We have to do the work that
God sent Jesus to do. Jesus' work — what is it? It's liberation. Oh,
we know the litany: it is life, it is light, it is to seek, to see,
to heal, to save, to relieve, to charge, to focus, to also express a
kind of outrage at blindness that's willful, ignorance that insists
on its way and arrogance," Forbes exhorted.

	Forbes, referring to a new pastor's challenge to lead a congregation
in new directions, looked about the capacious sanctuary and quipped,
"This is a mighty ark here — and it takes a lot to turn — I mean, I'm
talking about an ocean liner and this is an ocean liner. And it takes
a long time to turn an ocean liner around."

	Forbes, addressing members of the National City congregation, said
growth would rely on the talents and resources of veteran and new
members. "If the old-timers and the newcomers can figure out the
significance of being here is that they all were sent, then you can
get on with the work," Forbes said.

	Jackson's longtime friend and colleague, the Rev. T. Garrott
Benjamin, Jr., Indianapolis, admonished all of those present that
Jackson could not approach the future alone. "This … is a mutual
commitment, and all of us share in that commitment. This church
belongs to us all."  Benjamin predicted that Jackson would declare
war on the "demons of homelessness, hopelessness, demons of violence,
racism and greed. …"

	Benjamin, pastor of Light of the World Christian Church, called for
support from the whole church for his friend and former associate,
"We should not expect any more from Alvin O'Neal Jackson than we are
willing to do. He is fragile, he is finite, he is one person, and our
expectations are off of the map. If it is going to work, all of us
are going to have to share the burden and the blessing. … We are in
covenant. Our job as a church is to pray — for him, for National City
Church, for the city of Washington, for the National City Corporation
— to pray that God's will will be done."

	-- 30 --

{Note to editors: A photo of Rev. Jackson will be mailed.)

Disciples News Service releases
are available at http://www.disciples.org/dns/index.htm