From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodist bishops urged to support same-sex unions

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 12 Oct 1998 14:33:50

Oct. 12, 1998 Contact: Thomas S. McAnally*(615)742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.
{587}

NOTE:  The full, unedited text of the letter and a list of the signers
is at the close of this story.

By United Methodist News Service

An open letter, signed by 363 United Methodists, has been sent to all
bishops of the church urging them to "move beyond silence and inaction"
regarding the denomination's prohibition against the celebration of
homosexual unions.

In August, the church's nine-member Judicial Council ruled that a
statement on same-sex unions adopted by the 1996 General Conference has
the force of church law. "Ceremonies that celebrate homosexual unions
shall not be conducted by our ministers and shall not be conducted in
our churches," according to the statement, included in the church's
Social Principles.

"Our church is adrift," the open letter states, "buffeted by forces that
seek to steer our course away from the prophetic, just and compassionate
course of Christ."  In a press release issued Oct. 11, the letter is
described as a "grassroots appeal" representing both lay and clergy
members.

Listed as contact person on the news release is the Rev. Jimmy Creech of
Raleigh, N.C., who was narrowly acquitted in a church trial in March for
performing a service of union for two women while he was pastor of First
United Methodist church in Omaha, Neb. It was after that trial that the
Judicial Council was asked to rule on the legal status of the statement
in the Social Principles.

The letter calls on the bishops to:

* "receive the forgiveness of Christ" for "sins of omission" and "having
remained silent";
* teach the church so "misunderstandings about the nature of scriptural
authority can be addressed" and members can learn "how a non-condemning
acceptance of homosexuality is a legitimate position within our Wesleyan
tradition";
* celebrate "holy unions."

Regarding the last point, the letter explains that some clergy will be
performing holy unions "directly and unapologetically, following the
example of integrity set by Jimmy Creech."

Others, the letter says, will celebrate such unions "outside the context
of the appointment system and outside the role of 'minister' in the
United Methodist Church. Still others will do so within the letter of
the law but in such a way as to be a clear witness to the exclusive
stance of the church." As an example, the letter says laity will
"celebrate unions on church yards" and clergy will "stand in honor as
non-ministers read certain words within a ritual."

In conclusion, the letter observes that the recommendations are "radical
and risky steps" that "require the full measure of forgiveness to know
that Christ enables us all, even those in the episcopacy of the United
Methodist Church, to move beyond silence and inaction. . . . As bishops
. . . you possess unique responsibility coupled with exclusive authority
to make a powerful witness for Christ's love."

Contacted by United Methodist News Service, Bishop George Bashore of
Pittsburgh, president of the Council of Bishops, said: "I think the
council must stand by the pastoral statement we issued at our last
meeting in April, in which we said we would uphold the Book of
Discipline. That's our calling as bishops, and I think we pounded out an
agreement, a covenant.  That holds."

Aside from his role as president of the Council of Bishops, Bashore
said, "I have been one who has championed the current position of the
church on homosexuality. I've made it known in my area that anyone who
performs a same-sex union will be processed immediately if charges are
brought. I can't do otherwise."

#  #  #

412 South Boylan Avenue
Raleigh, North Carolina  27603-1910
October 6, 1998

An Open Letter to the Bishops of the United Methodist Church:

Fallout from the announcement of Judicial Council Decision 833 has only
begun. Constituencies around the denomination are lining up for the
power struggle that this decision precipitates. These are dark days for
our church and for those who seek to embody the prophetic justice of our
Christian tradition. We write to you now, imploring you to listen deeply
to this call for your guidance and leadership to help see us through
these days.

Even as we write, though, we are filled with trepidation that this call
may go unheard, because by and large we have missed your guidance and
leadership through the days leading to this moment. Our church is
adrift, buffeted by forces that seek to steer our course away from the
prophetic, just, and compassionate course of Christ. Our church is
inundated with a cacophony of voices that seek to make literal the
writings of John Wesley and use them as weapons, even as they do the
same with the living witness of our scripture.

Still, we write with hope that the Divine Spirit may speak through our
words, to your hearts, and that you will claim the authority of the
office you occupy.

In this spirit of hope and covenant, we call out:

1) Receive the forgiveness of Christ!
Many of you are celebrating the opportunity this decision gives you to
exercise your episcopal power in authoritarian, punitive ways. Many more
of you are saddened and grieving over what this decision means for your
office and our denomination. You realize, all too late, that your
silence over this matter has made you complicit with the cynicism and
hopelessness expressed by Bishop Blake when he said, "The key to our
connection is authority, not agreement." (Dallas Morning News, 8/11/98)
This complicity will mean that theological exploration can no longer be
carried out with the civility of honest disagreement, for the specter of
legal action will loom over all our discussions. No longer can we be
true to our theological task which states, "we test various expressions
of faith...." We will become a denomination of "winners" and "losers"
where authority will be determined by the judgement of ecclesiastical
trial.

Yet we celebrate, with you, the reality of forgiveness in Christ! Sins
of omission are never easily acknowledged because they are so easily
overlooked and their consequences seem so far removed. But we are
certain that many of you are already striving earnestly with your
consciences over having remained silent. We, too, acknowledge that we
have done too little and left too much unsaid. We celebrate, though, the
power of Christ's forgiveness to free us from despair over our sins and
to empower us to redress the consequences of our sins. As we claim the
power of Christ to forgive for our failings and as we celebrate with you
your acknowledgement of Christ's forgiveness we can begin to move
forward, together.

2) Teach your church!
There is a crisis of authority in the United Methodist Church. Forces at
work in the church seek to supplant the Wesleyan understanding of a
dynamic sense of authority, in which scripture is primary but not
exclusive. These forces seek to impose a static understanding of
authority as wholly contained within the past through the decisions of
the seven ecumenical councils, the ancient creeds and the consensual
writings of the patristic period. They even go so far as to claim that
these "authorities" themselves developed under the guidance of the Holy
Spirit and are therefore free from error!

These forces want to use their non-Wesleyan understanding of "authority"
to straightjacket the church into a uniform way of reading and
understanding scripture. The current debate over the nature of
sexuality, then, is less a debate over the nature of sexuality as it is
a debate over the nature of authority.

Our denomination needs your teaching office to clarify the spectrum of
views on authority that are legitimately held within an authentic
understanding of the Wesleyan tradition. We need you to establish
"teaching days" where misunderstandings about the nature of scriptural
authority can be addressed and where both clergy and laity can learn how
a non-condemning acceptance of homosexuality is a legitimate position
within our Wesleyan tradition.

But we implore you, do not refer this action to a sub-committee. Do not
ask for a "study" at the next General Conference. Do not defer your
involvement in this issue to your colleagues. Take the initiative of
your own office to gather those who can speak intelligently and
knowledgeably about these issues. Use the resources that currently exist
to create teaching opportunities for your areas and our entire
denomination. Use this opportunity to help our denomination return to a
common understanding of the broad boundaries of authority within the
church. Reclaim the teaching office of Bishop to help our church reclaim
a dynamic understanding of the power and authority of scripture as it
continues to speak today.

3) Claim your full authority!
It is commonly assumed that if episcopal power is exercised, it must be
exercised in a punitive manner. The context of Bishop Talbert's
statement that, "we have to hold people accountable," (UMNS 8/14/98)
seems to imply that the process of accountability is inherently negative
and adversarial. This is not the case. History provides more than enough
examples of civil disobedience within legal boundaries to enable a broad
range of options. Guide the steps that precede trials, searching for
processes that open up dialogue and are less adversarial than using
formal grievances or complaints. Develop fair hearings that lead local
United Methodists toward greater understanding of and appreciation for
our faith and procedures.

Work with the defendants to turn the trials into "teachable moments"
where the world can listen as the case for a broad, accepting view of
honest sexuality can be made. Do not call on your colleagues who you
know to hold narrow, condemnatory views on these matters, to assist in
the trial process. Let the potential jurors in your areas know that
there are no prescribed "sentencing guidelines" and they are free to
decide that the trouble and expense that the defendant has already
endured is sufficient "punishment" for the "crime." Let them know that
you believe such a decision is not only allowable but appropriate. Use
the power of the episcopacy to meet the bare minimum requirements of the
law, while opposing the unjust, non-Wesleyan, un-Christ-like spirit of
the law.

4) Celebrate holy unions!
The newest phrase that has caused such pain in our church reads,
"Ceremonies that celebrate homosexual unions shall not be conducted by
our ministers and shall not be conducted in our churches." Many UM
clergy have pledged to celebrate such unions and we know that some will
do so directly and unapologetically, following the example of integrity
set by Jimmy Creech. Others will do so outside the context of the
appointment system and outside the role of "minister" in the United
Methodist Church.  Still others will do so within the letter of the law
but in such a way as to be a clear witness to the exclusive stance of
the church. Laity will celebrate unions on church yards. Clergy will
stand in honor as "non-ministers" read certain words within a ritual.
Clergy colleagues will stand together, supporting one another, in the
celebration of these unions.

We urge you to become aware of where and when such unions are being
celebrated, within the letter of the church law, and to join the
celebration of those unions. Stand with those who will witness to the
church that the current state of our church law is condemnatory and
exclusionary. Be a witness, with us, to the God who comes to us in the
integrity of a particular human relationship and is celebrated within
the integrity of human relationships. Let the world know that those who
lead the United Methodist Church are as courageously caring as those who
worship within it.

These are radical and risky steps. They require the full measure of
forgiveness to know that Christ enables us all, even those in the
episcopacy of the United Methodist Church, to move beyond silence and
inaction. We know that all of you will not be able or willing to engage
in each of these actions. Just as we are on our own journeys of faith,
so are you. However we expect that some of you will show, through the
exercise of your episcopal authority, evidence of having claimed
Christ's forgiveness and power in this most difficult time of our
denomination's history. Many UM clergy have taken a radical, risky step
by committing to celebrate "homosexual unions" within a context of
condemnation and judgment. We expect that our leaders will find the
courage to take similarly risky steps. As Bishops within the United
Methodist Church you possess unique responsibility coupled with
exclusive authority to make a powerful witness for Christ's love. We
celebrate the positive potential of that unique responsibility and look
forward to celebrating the more faith-full, loving denomination that you
will lead.

In Christ's Peace,

363 signers whose names appear on the accompanying list

Alaska
    Patricia Dobbins - Juneau
    Bill Hurr - Juneau
Arizona
    Cassandra E. Fraley - Tucson
    Robert D. Fraley - Show Low
    Ruth S. Fraley - Show Low
    Richard E. Lyddon - Phoenix
California
    Tom Atkin - San Rafael
    Jacob Auer - San Rafael
    Jeffery Auer - San Rafael
    John Auer - San Rafael
    Julie Auer - San Rafael
    Patti Bartlebaugh - Brentwood
    Diana Bethel - Santa Rosa
    David Braaten - San Francisco
    Barb Braithwaite - San Rafael
    Charlene Bunas - Santa Rosa
    Linda Carroll - Santa Rosa
    Shirley Claire - Santa Rosa
    Ona Coburn - San Rafael
    Rolfe Conrad - Petaluma
    Kristine Crawford - Santa Rosa
    Dirk & Carol Damonte - Los Altos
    John Davenport - Santa Rosa
    Donna Morrow DeCamp - San Jose
    Dolores Fitz - Santa Rosa
    Kent Fossgreen - Santa Rosa
    Jane Fossgreen - Santa Rosa
    Myra Gaiser - Santa Rosa
    Alice Ann Glenn - Monterey
    Jeff Gunderson - San Rafael
    Geneva Sansom Hadley - Santa Rosa
    David Hansen - San Rafael
    Sharyn Hansen - San Rafael
    Carol L. Hasenick - Santa Rosa
    Louis Nilsson - Santa Rosa
    Margo Hoagland - Santa Rosa
    Douglas G. Hogin - San Francisco
    Cara Vincent Houck - Santa Rosa
    Rebecca J. Irelan - Oakland
    Alice Jann - Santa Rosa
    R. Loren Jenks - Brentwood
    Allen B. Jones - Santa Rosa
    Rose Marie Leonard - Santa Rosa
    Cheryl Longinotti - San Rafael
    Susan Shipley Mason - Santa Rosa
    Marilyn Mauck - San Rafael
    I. Lee McClendon, Sr. - Yorba Linda
    Olive McGinnis - San Rafael
    R. J. Moriconi - Modesto
    Esther Leatherwood - San Rafael
    David Leeper Moss - Chester
    Meg Linden - San Rafael
    J. Lawrence Pearson - Napa
    Linda Pearson - San Rafael
    Bruce D. Pettit - San Francisco
    Gayle Pickrell - Santa Rosa
    Jessica Powell - San Rafael
    Nancy Jim Poxon - Sacramento
    Delia Pratt - Santa Rosa
    John Reynolds - San Rafael
    Sterling Rainey - San Rafael
    Ellen Randall - San Rafael
    Jo Anne Sanders - San Rafael
    Rick Sapp - San Rafael
    Richard A. Schlosser - Berkeley
    Jim Scurlock - Albany
    Judy Simpson - Santa Rosa
    Carol Summers - San Rafael
    Ginger Sylla-Egan - San Rafael
    Else Tamayo - San Rafael
    Elaine Walter - Santa Rosa
    Joseph Waters - Santa Rosa
    Glo Wellman - Santa Rosa
    Joy Winters - San Rafael
    Judy Wismer - Santa Rosa
Colorado
    Riley S. Grant - Lakewood
    Jeanne Hoeft - Arvada
    Bill Kirton - Denver
    Ben Roe - Denver
    Denise Whitesel - Denver
    Sandy Young - Lakewood
Florida
    Martha Rutland-Wallis
    Robert & Rose Thomason
Georgia
    Carrie LaGree - Atlanta
    Cliff Richards - Atlanta
Illinois
    Eileen Barthel - Urbana
    Deirdre Breeding - Champaign
    Randy Estes - Chicago
    Miriam Foster - Urbana
    Bruce Gladstone - Champaign
    Arne Gullerud - Urbana
    Ernest Gullerud - Champaign
    Lois Gullerud - Champaign
    Kerry B. Heimann - Champaign
    Mary C. Hruska - Monticello
    Diane Jeffers - Urbana
    Linda A. Linke - Champaign
    Tim Lowe - Chicago
    Lynette L. Marshall - Champaign
    Jean Peters - Champaign
    Eric A. Stone - Champaign
    Pat Tymchyshyn - Champaign
    Barbara Zachow - Urbana
    Bev Zollinger - Champaign
Indiana
    Linda Van Horn - South Bend
Iowa
    Mike Buckman - Cedar Rapids
    John Cairns - Cedar Rapids
    Robert Crandall - Des Moines
    Chester Gunn - Des Moines
    Allan B. Jones
    Linda L. McGrew - Cedar Rapids
    Mary Lou McGrew - Cedar Rapids
    Ashley Super - Cedar Rapids
Kansas
    Joseph H. Coachman - Lyndon
Kentucky
    Gilbert Schroerlucke - Louisville
Maine
    S. Graham DeCoster
    Liz Vernon - Easton
Maryland
    Magon Boykin - Silver Spring
    Harry C. Kiely - Silver Spring
    Thomas Starnes - Gaithersburg
Massachusetts
    Bruce Angus - Lawrence
    Arlene Bodge - Edgartown
    Judy Jenkins Kohatsu - Andover
    Sharon L. Link - Amesbury
Michigan
    Kenneth Dunstone - Hermansville
    Jonathan Gardner - Dearborn
    Carol C. Godwin - Farmington Hills
    Doug Little - Novi
    Steven M. Smith - Mt. Pleasant
Minnesota
    Jean Beck - Minneapolis
    Kenn Beck - Minneapolis
    Faith M. Buss - Minneapolis
    Ray W. Cabaniss - Golden Valley
    Mae Belle Doty - Minneapolis
    Vera Engle - Minneapolis
    Gayle Englund - Minneapolis
    Sara M. Evans - Minneapolis
    Marjorie Chan Goebel - Minneapolis
    Jack Fithian - Minneapolis
    Marylee Fithian - Minneapolis
    Morris Floyd - Minneapolis
    Fred Husky - Minneapolis
    Phyllis Husky - Minneapolis
    Walter Lockhart - St. Paul
    Larry Nielsen - Minneapolis
    Mary Ellen Nielsen - Minneapolis
    Clarence Schadegg - Minneapolis
    Steve Schultz - Minneapolis
    Mark Sobotka - Woodbury
    Janet M. Westlee - Minneapolis
    Judith J. Westlee - Minneapolis
Missouri
    J. Philip Cox-Johnson - Columbia
    Gerald Heckel - Kansas City
    Russ & Helma Hawkins - Kansas City
Montana
    Winifred B. Keefer - Billings
Nebraska
    Carol Beaty - Omaha
    Richard & Phyllis Burroughs - Omaha
    Roberta Coss - Omaha
    Tom & Donna Dobson - Omaha
    Betty Dorr - Omaha
    Dave & Kathy England - Omaha
    Ray & Sally Farqhur - Omaha
    Tim Fickenscher - Omaha
    R. Benjamin Garrison
    J. Michael Herrington - Omaha
    William Jenks - Omaha
    Diane & Larry Jensen - Omaha
    Don & Eileen Johnson - Omaha
    Mark Kemling - Lincoln
    Dwight W. Kemling - Lincoln
    Ruthie Lees - Omaha
    Elna Peirce - Omaha
    Ivan D. Richardson - Omaha
    Sue Rood - Omaha
    Alice Rushton - Omaha
    Orv & Arlene Sherman - Omaha
    Judy Torrens - Omaha
    Douglas J. Williamson - Omaha
    Emily Joan Zetterman - Omaha
Nevada
    Richard W. Smith - Boulder City
New Hampshire
    Mark Henderson - Sandwich
New Jersey
    Anne Carey - Lawrenceville
    Lisanne Finston - Monmouth Jct.
    Frieda Hamer - Haddonfield
    Kirk Kinkade - Jersey City
    Mary-Edna Krutchkoff - Fair Lawn
    Claudia Perry - Jersey City
    David Roberts - Jersey City
    Duncan Smythe - Westfield
    Jeffrey R. Spelman
    Tim Tyler - Morristown
New York
    Crystal Minugh Brutsch - Waverly
    Peggy R. Gaylord - Windsor
    Amy Gregory
    Bob Hitchcock - Binghampton
    Donald Robert Hoff
    Elsie Lewis - Oneonta
    Charlotte Patton - New York
    Brian Rotach - Amherst
    Tom Schmid - New York
    William W. Schnippert - Elmira
North Carolina
    James F. Allen - Flat Rock
    Jimmy Creech - Raleigh
    David J. Irvine - Henderson
    Nancy Mamlin - Boone
Ohio
    Mary Ann Carlson - Cleveland
    David A. Kappenhagen - Cleveland
    Jan Kappenhagen - Cleveland
    Jean Kappenhagen - Cleveland
    Sherri Kinkade - Cleveland
    Jessica Lee - Cleveland
    Bonnie K. McMahon
    Mark Poole
    Robert Robinette - Cincinnati
    Walter G. Schlosser - Cleveland
    Rick & Dr. Kandi Stinson - Cincinnati
    Marge Townsend - Windsor
Oklahoma
    Robin Anderson - Oklahoma City
    Karen L. Beard - Oklahoma City
    Robert C. Bjorklund - Oklahoma City
    Kathy Brown - Norman
    John R. Calhoun - Oklahoma City
    Jeni Markham Clewell - Edmond
    Donna Cloud - Norman
    Bob Danielson - Oklahoma City
    Alan Dobbs - Oklahoma City
    Russell Dyer - Brookline
    Tim Fields - Oklahoma City
    Tony Francis - Oklahoma City
    Valerie Gutherie - Oklahoma City
    Charla B. Gwartney - Oklahoma City
    Kurt Gwartney - Oklahoma City
    Howard Harris - Oklahoma City
    Shelly E. Hart - Tulsa
    Sue Hill - Oklahoma City
    Jim Houk - Oklahoma City
    Bill James - Edmond
    Monte Kesterson - Moore
    Eursey Lenoir - Bethany
    Linda Malcolm - Oklahoma City
    Beatrice Martin - Oklahoma City
    William Martin - Oklahoma City
    Ron Miser - Oklahoma City
    Barbara Mitchell - Oklahoma City
    Marla Olson - Oklahoma City
    Edgar Rueda - Oklahoma City
    Ralph Shafer - Oklahoma City
    Harold Swink - Oklahoma City
    Kent Taylor - Oklahoma City
    Wendell Vandever - Oklahoma City
    Eddie Walker - Oklahoma City
    Kem Norman Wallace - Oklahoma City
    Jerry Watson - Oklahoma City
    Randall Yates - Oklahoma City
    Carla Young - Oklahoma City
Oregon
    Richard Burdon
    Don Frueh - Portland
    Paul & Ruth LaRue - Salem
    Larry Monk - Oregon City
    Mary Ann Sanford - Portland
Pennsylvania
    R. Craig Bennett - Pittsburgh
    Arthur Brandenburg
    J. Howard Cherry - Pittsburgh
    Robert G. Coombe - Havertown
    Jean Kozul - Jermyn
    Jim Palmquist - Allentown
    Laura Montgomery Rutt
    Pat Williams - Lancaster
    Mary Ann Williard - Mifflinburg
Rhode Island
    Nancy C. Hetherington
South Carolina
    Elizabeth Collier
Tennessee
    Margery Mayer - Brentwood
    Charles H. Lippy - Chattanooga
Texas
    M. Michael Bledsoe
    Bob Fisher - Houston
    L. Annette Jones - Houston
    Kathy Massey - Denton
    Lynn McCreary - Denton
    Julie Murphy - Arlington
    Margaret Nunley - Coleman
    Gary M. Shephard
Vermont
    Deborah Robinson - Essex Junction
    Wesley Sheffield - Hubbardton
Virginia
    Chip Aldridge - Alexandria
    Richard Hilshman - Woodbridge
    Scott Hopping - Arlington
    Randy S. Shannon - Vienna
    Richard Wager - Falls Church
Washington
    Dorothy Baker - Edmonds
    Paul Binneboese - Seattle
    William Blake - Seattle
    Marlene A. Boone - Seattle
    Nellie Briggs - Seattle
    Linda K. Condit - Seattle
    Stephen H. Condit - Shoreline
    Helen Finch - Seattle
    Lewis Finch - Seattle
    Linda Gasparovic - Seattle
    Charles R. & Dora M. Haight - Ellensburg
    Sonja J. Ingebritsen - Seattle
    Larry & Betty Lowther - Ellensburg
    Deborah L. Martin - Seattle
    Kathleen M. MCowan - Seattle