From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Thiel College Reduces Tuition By 27 Percent

From NEWS <NEWS@elca.org>
Date 12 Oct 1998 16:15:32

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 12, 1998

THIEL COLLEGE REDUCES TUITION BY 27 PERCENT
98-207-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- In response to public concern about rising
education costs, Thiel College, Greenville, Pa., will reduce its tuition by
27 percent for new students entering the college in the fall of 1999.
Thiel is one of 28 college and universities of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America.
     "We want the public to know that we hear their concerns and we're
doing something about it," said Dr. C. Carlyle Haaland, president of the
college.  "Our goal is to make Thiel's quality education affordable to all
students."
     Thiel's tuition price will drop from $13,676 to $9,990, making it
"one of the most affordable liberal arts colleges in the nation," according
to Haaland.
     Stephen Eidson, Thiel's executive director for enrollment management,
said the college "is bringing its advertised price in line with real costs.
Families will be better informed about actual costs much earlier in the
college application process."
     The decision to implement the tuition reduction plan is in response
to a recent survey conducted by the American Council on Education, an
association of colleges and universities in the United States.  Survey
results indicate that "the cost of a college education is among Americans'
top five list of worries about their children."
     "About 64 percent of Americans worry about financing a college
education for their children more than they worry about their children
being a victim of a crime," said the survey.
     Thiel's tuition plan will be introduced on an incremental basis
beginning with new students entering in the fall of 1999.  Current students
will be subject to the former tuition rate but will continue to receive
Thiel's grants as part of their financial aid package.  Current students
who do not qualify for need-based financial aid will receive special Thiel
grants during this transition.
     "Thiel is in a position of strength to implement such a plan," said
Haaland.  "Together with a history of solid enrollment, a successful
capital campaign and a continued commitment to improving Thiel's programs
and facilities, the tuition reduction is part of a strategic plan for the
college's growth in the next millennium.
     "We're proud to be one of the first colleges in northwestern
Pennsylvania to offer such an innovative financial discount to students,"
Haaland said.

For information contact:
Frank Imhoff, Assoc. Director (773) 380-2955 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html