From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Roanoke College Receives a $3-Million Gift

From NEWS <NEWS@elca.org>
Date 16 Oct 1998 13:32:05

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 16, 1998

ROANOKE COLLEGE RECEIVES A $3-MILLION GIFT
98-36-211-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Roanoke College, Salem, Va., received a $3-million
gift for its endowment fund last month from Francis T. West of
Martinsville, Va.  Roanoke is one of 28 colleges and universities of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
     In recognition of the gift Roanoke's Courthouse Academic Building
will now be known as the Francis T. West Hall.  The hall houses the
academic departments of history, public affairs, religion and philosophy,
business administration and economics.
     "Each of these fields has been important in my life and I cherish the
opportunity to share these connections with Roanoke students today," said
West.
     The building also houses the Henry H. Fowler Public Policy Program,
the Center for Church and Society, the Center for Community Research and
The Management Institute.
     West is president of Franklin Finance Company, Rocky Mount, Va., and
director of the Virginia Financial Services Association.  In 1986 West
received the Roanoke College Medal for Distinguished Service and
Professional Achievement.  The college named West one of its
Sesquicentennial Distinguished Alumni in 1992, and in 1994 gave him an
honorary doctor of law degree.
     "My relationship with Roanoke College is one that is very important
to me, and I am fortunate to be in a position where I can help the college
achieve its goals," said West.  "Roanoke is a place where students are
encouraged to work hard and to serve their communities.  I like that."
     "Throughout his successful business career, Mr. West never forgot to
give back to his community," said David M. Gring, president of the college.
"Perhaps closest to our hearts here at Roanoke College is his commitment to
education."
     Roanoke also received a $40,000 grant last month to support its cell
and cancer research.  The money came from the Oliver S. and Jennie R.
Donaldson Charitable Trust, a New York-based foundation that helps finance
cancer research conducted in hospitals, universities and liberal arts
colleges.
     Gardner's research concentrates on embryonic cellular differentiation
and levels of cell adhesion in cancer.  The grant will help fund intensive
summer research for Gardner and students, and will also help pay for new
and upgraded microscopes and other equipment.
     In a separate announcement, Judith Nelson, vice president of resource
development, said the "Roanoke Fund" earned a record amount of $1.67
million during the 1997-1998 fiscal year.  The college's annual fund-
raising program received a $33,000 contribution from the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America; $26,800 from the Lutheran Brotherhood
Foundation, Minneapolis; and $7,300 from Aid Association for Lutherans,
Appleton, Wis.

For information contact:
Frank Imhoff, Assoc. Director (773) 380-2955 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html