From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Message to Middle East Peace Talks

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 16 Oct 1998 14:35:37

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Contact: NCC News: 212-870-2252
Internet: carolf@ncccusa.org; Website:
http://www.ncccusa.org

105NCC10/16/98
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NATIONAL COUNCIL OF CHURCHES GENERAL SECRETARY'S MESSAGE
TO PRESIDENTS CLINTON & ARAFAT, PRIME MINISTER NETANYAHU

  NEW YORK, N.Y., Oct. 16 ---- The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown
Campbell, General Secretary of the National Council of
Churches, conveyed this message today to President Clinton,
Prime Minister Netanyahu and President Arafat:

*  *  *  *

I greet you in the name of the God of peace, who desires
peace among all peoples, the one God, compassionate and
merciful, who out of infinite love has created the universe
and founded it upon justice and righteousness.

The National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
represents a constituency that has supported efforts to
achieve a just peace between Israel and the Palestinians
for many years.  In this we have been joined by Jews,
Muslims and other people of faith in the U.S. and
worldwide.  We are heartened that together you have
undertaken once again the difficult task of negotiations to
bring all of our hopes for peace closer to fulfillment.

Hope has been sorely tried and tested  in the last two
years by setbacks and obstacles to  the implementation of
the 1993 Declaration on Principles and the 1995 Interim
Agreement which established a framework for security and
self-determination.  Many believe that the process begun at
Oslo has failed.

Bombings and other acts of violence against Israeli
civilians have terrorized the population and given strength
to repeated Israeli demands for security.  At the same
time, Palestinians find themselves vulnerable to and
victimized by Israeli policies and by some of its citizens
in numerous ways: shootings, arrests and beatings; the
confiscation of land and demolition of homes and olive
groves, the seizure of identity cards and termination of
residency rights, and the relentless expansion of
settlements.

After generations of strife and years of slow negotiation,
Palestinians and Israelis need a renewed vision of their
future as inseparable neighbors.  Both peoples need renewed
confidence in the direction and viability of the peace
process.  And both need a grounding in security: Security
for one is dependent upon security for both, and security
measures must be grounded in an appropriate regard for
human rights and respect for international law.

In addition, the Palestinian people need to be assured that
their recognition of the State of Israel is reciprocated by
a recognition of their own right to self-determination,
including the possibility of an independent sovereign
Palestinian state.  Similarly, Israelis need to be assured
that their recognition of Palestinian self-determination
and their compliance with UN Security Council Resolution
242 requiring the withdrawal of their forces from the West
Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem is consistent with their
right "to live within secure and recognized boundaries free
from threats or acts of force."   All parties in the region
need a clear and practicable vision of a future with peace,
prosperity, accountable governance, and respect for
diversity.

Among the most contentious issues that still lie ahead is
the status of Jerusalem.  Jerusalem is a place of great
significance to all three Abrahamic religions, a venerated
place and  destination of pilgrimage.  As the NCCCUSA has
acknowledged in its document, "City of Holiness and Hope: A
Message on Jerusalem," the city of Jerusalem is home to
three religions and is claimed as capital by two peoples
for two states.  A final resolution of the contested status
of Jerusalem must recognize and accommodate, in new and
creative patterns of sovereignty and conviviality, the
claims of all of these.  We will be constant in prayer that
our political leadership will find a way for Jerusalem to
be shared inclusively by all, rather than be held
exclusively by one.

As the three of you gather with other members of your
governments, we pray that God will guide your thoughts and
hearts in the ways that lead to peace.

Yours

(Rev. Dr.) Joan Brown Campbell
General Secretary