From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Masters Named President of Thiel College

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 22 Oct 1998 10:20:18

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 22, 1998

MASTERS NAMED PRESIDENT OF THIEL COLLEGE
98-37-217-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Lance A. Masters, 51, El Cerrito, Calif., was
appointed the 17th president of Thiel College, Greenville, Pa., effective
Jan. 1, 1999.  Thiel is one of 28 colleges and universities of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
     "In today's competitive college market I will strive to distinguish
Thiel College from other academic institutions while strengthening Thiel's
reputation for academic excellence locally, regionally and globally," said
Masters.  "While I recognize the role of a college president as demanding
and intense, my cumulative life experiences have prepared me for the
challenges and rewards that lie ahead.  I am eager to serve Thiel College
and its diverse constituents."
     Masters chairs the department of marketing and entrepreneurship at
California State University at Hayward, Calif.  From 1981 to 1994 he served
as a professor in business administration at California State University,
San Bernardino, Calif.  Masters also held the position of associate dean
for the School of Business and Public Administration from 1989 to 1990, and
chaired the department of marketing, management science and information
management from 1985 to 1989.
     Masters earned a doctorate from The Peter F. Drucker Graduate
Management School of The Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, Calif.,
in 1987.  He earned a master of arts degree in executive management from
The Claremont Graduate University, a master of business administration
degree in finance and marketing from California State University at San
Bernardino, Calif., and a bachelor of arts degree in economics from the
University of California at Riverside, Calif.
     "Masters' commitment to Lutheran education, understanding of
educational issues, experience in strategic planning endeavors and his
financial planning background make him a strong leader for Thiel College,"
said Ronald Doerr, chair of Thiel's board of trustees and co-chair of the
presidential search committee.  "Dr. Masters brings a wealth of experience
to Thiel College at both the academic and administrative levels of higher
education, as well as from industry."
     Masters has traveled to Russia, Hong Kong and New Zealand as a
visiting professor.  He and his wife, Dr. Brenda Ponsford-Masters, served
as senior technical advisors for the privatization of state industry
through a United Nations development grant for the State Commission on
Science and Technology for Development of the People's Republic of China in
Beijing.
     "My extensive experience in international programs and teaching
opportunities abroad, as well as working with hundreds of international
students, has provided me with the knowledge and ability to create and lead
such programs for Thiel," Masters said from Moscow, where he is teaching at
the Institute of Business and Economics of the Academy of National Economy
through the end of November.
     Before working in higher education, Masters was a regional controller
for Ryder Systems, Inc., Riverside Calif., from 1972 to 1974; a marketing
planning manager for Fleetwood Enterprises, Inc., Riverside, from 1974 to
1977; and a corporate director of marketing at Butcher Boy Food Products,
Inc., from 1977 to 1981.

For information contact:
Frank Imhoff, Assoc. Director 1-773-380-2955 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html