From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC/Religious freedom bill supported

From "Barb Powell"<powellb@ucc.org>
Date 22 Oct 1998 14:09:28

Office of Communication
United Church of Christ
October 22, 1998
In Washington, D.C., contact:
The Rev. Jay Lintner, (202) 543-1517
In Cleveland, contact:
Laurie Bartels, (216) 736-2213
On the World Wide Web:
http://www.ucc.org
For immediate release:

Religious leaders support religious freedom bill
as 'principled and flexible' compromise

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A coalition of religious leaders,
representing public policy offices for seven U.S. churches and
the National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.,
recently signed an open statement supporting the "International
Religious Freedom Act."
     The bill, sponsored by Sen. Don Nickles, R-Okla., and
Sen. Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn., originally contained 16
sanctions -- 8 mandated diplomatic actions and 8 economic
sanctions -- to be used to respond to countries violating religious
freedom.  The final bill, which was unanimously passed by
Congress and which President Clinton has said he will sign, has
"omitted the most troubling sanction, blocking economic trade,"
said the Rev. Jay Lintner, who works on legislative matters in
the Washington office of  the United Church of Christ's Office
for Church in Society.  "And a broad Presidential waiver has
been included so that these sanctions should not be used if it is
discovered that they will do more harm than good to those being
persecuted.  This provides the flexibility needed," Lintner
added.
     The statement by the religious leaders, the full text of
which is attached, praises the legislation as a step in the right
direction but still advises caution in its implementation.
"While this legislation offers the hope of a significant step
forward for religious liberty around the globe, its
implementation is critical.  We are mindful that reports of
terrible acts of persecution could pressure our government to
react in ways that cause more harm than good, particularly in
the imposition of economic sanctions . . . As always, it is
important to remain focused on the goal of helping those who
suffer because of their faith, not domestic concerns."
     The United Church of Christ, with national offices in
Cleveland, has 1.4 million members and more than 6,000 local
churches in the United States and Puerto Rico.  Its Office for
Church in Society and other national agencies carry out policies
of the UCC's General Synod, which speaks to, but not for, the
denomination's members and local churches.  The UCC is a
member of the National Council of Churches.

 #   #   #

[EDITORS: Here is the full text of the open statement signed by
seven representatives of U.S. churches and a leader of the
National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. on passage
of the International Religious Freedom Act.]

"The United States Congress last week passed unanimously the
"International Religious Freedom Act" and the President has
indicated his support and intention to sign the bill into law.
In this 50th anniversary year of the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights, we, the public policy offices for several U.S.
churches, support this action in defense of fundamental human
rights, including the freedom to believe and worship according
to one's conscience.  We believe that the final compromise bill
effectively calls attention to this problem for people of all
religions while avoiding many potential problems with earlier
alternative bills.

"The House-passed bill, "Wolf-Specter," would have imposed
several economic sanctions on countries that engage in severe
forms of religious persecution.  We made clear our concerns that
this "one-size-fits-all" approach was not sensitive to the
particular situations in which religious minorities find
themselves, noting especially the fears of some overseas
partners that such legislation might cause a backlash against
them for having "caused" the sanctions.  Also, we recognized
the limited scope of the Wolf-Specter bill, which would have
addressed only the most severe cases of persecution, not the
more prevalent restrictions on religious belief experienced in
many countries and addressed by international human rights
agreements.

"The Senate-passed bill, "Nickles-Lieberman," which the House
accepted and the President will soon sign, addressed these
concerns by giving wide latitude to the Administration about
how to respond to each country violating religious freedom.
The Administration may take one of a broad range of options
currently available under U.S. law -- from private diplomatic
protest to limited and targeted economic sanctions -- to respond
to governments that violate religious freedom.  For particularly
severe violators, the Administration must choose at least one
targeted economic sanction, excluding humanitarian assistance,
or waive the action.  The President may waive action for either
national interest reasons or if the action would do more harm
than good to religious liberty.  We believe this approach is both
principled and flexible, strengthening the U.S. in its opposition
to religious persecution abroad, and providing the U.S.
government the flexibility it needs to carry out policy that
maximizes the possibility of alleviating persecution rather than
increasing it.

"The final bill has other positive features:

          *It uses a broad, internationally accepted definition of
religious freedom.

          *It provides a meaningful structure for monitoring and
reporting religious persecution through a new office at the State
Department, an advisory commission, and an annual report on
international religious freedom.

          *It requires, prior to any U.S. action, consultation with
religious communities here and abroad to ensure that the U.S.
response will help, not harm, those suffering persecution.

          *It requires training of U.S. foreign service officers and
immigration officials to increase sensitivity and support to
victims of religious persecution.

          *It requires the President, before imposing sanctions, to
consult with other governments to achieve a coordinated,
multilateral response.  This supports our view that a multilateral
response is most effective.

"While this legislation offers the hope of a significant step
forward for religious liberty around the globe, its
implementation is critical.  We are mindful that reports of
terrible acts of persecution could pressure our government to
react in ways that cause more harm than good, particularly in
the imposition of economic sanctions.  We are mindful of the
possibility that the new annual report could be used in a
politically charged manner here in the U.S., to embarrass one
side or another domestically, rather than used as an effective
tool for deciding a helpful response by the United States as the
bill intends.  We will continue to urge respect for religious
liberty as we seek to preserve it.  As always, it is important to
remain focused on the goal of helping those who suffer because
of their faith, not domestic concerns.

"This new law will open a new door of consultation and
collaboration between religious communities and the U.S.
government's foreign policy structures.  We bear the important
responsibility of sharing our experiences and the experiences of
our partners overseas in protecting religious liberty.  We will
rely on the participation of our overseas partners and look to
their guidance as to the most helpful U.S. response.  We look
forward to bringing to the table the voices of people who suffer
because of their faith and who will live with decisions taken by
the Unites States on their behalf."

Curtis Ramsey-Lucas
Director of Legislative Advocacy
National Ministries
American Baptist Churches USA

The Rev. Dr. William Chris Hobgood
Regional Minister, Capital Area
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

Thomas H. Hart
Director of Government Relations
The Episcopal Church

The Rev. Russell O. Siler
Director
Lutheran Office for Governmental Affairs
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

The Rev. Dr. Albert M. Pennybacker
Associate General Secretary for Public Policy
National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.

The Rev. Elenora Giddings Ivory
Director, Washington Office
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)

The Rev. Jay Lintner