From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Space-Bound John Glenn Receives "Prayers and Gratitude" From PC(USA)

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 23 Oct 1998 20:04:08

Leaders
23-October-1998

98347   SPACE-BOUND JOHN GLENN RECEIVES
    "PRAYERS AND GRATITUDE" FROM PC(USA) LEADERS

    by Jerry L. Van Marter and Claude Brock

Editor's Note: As U.S. Senator, Presbyterian elder and astronaut prepares
for his second flight into space next week, leaders of the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) - General Assembly moderator the Rev. Douglas W. Oldenburg,
General Assembly stated clerk the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick and General
Assembly Council executive director John J. Detterick -  have sent him the
following letter, issued in cooperation with the denomination's Office of
Church and Public Relations in Louisville.  The full text of the letter:

October 22, 1998

    To Elder John Glenn, Our Brother in Christ

Dear John,

    We send our prayers and gratitude on behalf of the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) as you continue your public service through research in space.

     As you prepare for your historic flight we are reminded of the words
of Psalm 19, "The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament
proclaims his handiwork."

    We hope Psalm 116:12-14 will reinforce your service commitment to
humankind and to Christ as you fly into the space above this earth:

    "What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me?  I will lift
up the
      cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord, I will pay my vows
      the Lord in the presence of all his people."

    Our message to you is being relayed to Presbyterians everywhere via the
denomination's computer communication system.  We ask our 2.6 million
Presbyterian brothers and sisters to pray for the productivity and safety
of your space flight.  We also send prayers and best wishes to the entire
NASA team, astronauts and scientists who continue to make space exploration
and research a marvelous part of progress on earth.

    John, your church is grateful for the service you continue to share
with millions of Americans and citizens of the world.  May the peace of
Jesus Christ be with you and your colleagues on this flight. Prayers from
those of us in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) will certainly be there.

        "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be
          acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer."  Psalm
19:14.

    Serving for Jesus Christ,

Clifton Kirkpatrick         Douglas Oldenburg       John Detterick
Stated Clerk                Moderator           Executive Director
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)    210th General Assembly  General Assembly
Council