From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Women of the Lutheran Communion in Western Africa meet

From FRANK_IMHOFF.parti@ecunet.org (FRANK IMHOFF)
Date 06 Nov 1998 08:43:55

A call for women's education to become a priority

GENEVA, 2 November 1998 (lwi) - The second women's conference of the
Lutheran Communion in Western Africa (LUCWA) took place in Jos, Nigeria,
from 12 to 17 September.

As reported by Pierre Baba Moussa, LWI correspondent, the first resolution
voted was a reflection of the situations the conference was convened to
deal with: "In recognition of the low level of education of women in our
churches, the 40 percent ratio power sharing cannot be achieved and is not
feasible even in the near future. Be it resolved that the LWF and our
partner churches make women's education a priority area in all aspects of
our churches and communities."

Rt. Rev. David L. Windibiziri, bishop of the Lutheran Church of Christ in
Nigeria and LUCWA chairperson, referring to a similar resolution from the
first conference, held in June 1996, drew attention to this in his opening
address. "With the economic crisis that we find in many of our African
countries," he commented, "it is still a fact that you have to make more
effort to get education if you are a girl and not a boy."

He cited as an example the Women's Leadership Development program set up by
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, which provides a two-year
program of studies for women who do not meet the required level for
international scholarships for graduate studies. "This," he reminded the
delegates, "is one way in which we can help women to take up leadership
responsibilities."

Another resolution, Baba Moussa reported, called for the appointment of
three women to raise funds and advocate for education, health and justice
for women. The resolution noted that the contributions of member churches
of the LUCWA will be "grossly inadequate" for the task at hand.

Alluding to the question of women's ordination, "a big contention for some
churches," the gathering resolved to be "in prayer, consultation and
solidarity for this all important matter." Although women have been
ordained in both Nigeria and Sierra Leone, in the other churches it has yet
to happen. Windibiziri exhorted the delegates to "see that your church will
provide this right for women to serve as ministers of the Word and the
Sacraments. ... So, if your sisters have received their theological
training and they know they are called to serve as pastors, we have to help
them to fulfill their calling."

Other issues discussed were female circumcision, violence by men against
women, and AIDS.

Lutheran World Information
Editorial Assistant: Janet Bond-Nash
E-mail: jbn@lutheranworld.org