From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Relief Workers Scramble to Get Aid to Victims of Hurricane Mitch

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 06 Nov 1998 20:06:42

98368

    Relief Workers Scramble to Get Aid
    to Victims of Hurricane Mitch

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Over the telephone, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
missionary the Rev. Ken Brown in Managua, Nicaragua, sounded tired.

    He had just gotten back from a city called Leon, about 70 miles outside
Managua, where he was part of a relief crew that hauled supplies from the
Inter-Church Center for Theological and Social Studies (CIEETS) to the
storm-ravaged town.

    It wasn't easy to get there.  After about an hour's wait in a still
light drizzle, they were flagged ahead to cross a provisional bridge put in
place by the army just minutes before.  Fifteen more kilometers up the road
- with another bridge gone - the car  plugged across the muddy river, with
water lapping up over the hood.

    Nor was it easy to be in Leon once they arrived.  One hundred
twenty-six people are dead, 132,000 more are homeless.  A neighboring
community, San Jacinto, is destroyed -- its 25 houses swept away, as are
Las Conlinas and San Lucas. "It is," said Brown, "a tremendous emotional
blow, just devastating.  The major problem is that we can't get to people.
So many roads are cut, so many bridges are washed away.

    "And that's impeding rescue and relief efforts."

    New figures are coming out daily.  The latest information sheet from
CIEETS estimates that more than a half-million people are officially
"damnificados," which is Spanish for "homeless."  More than 60 percent of
the agricultural export crops - bananas, melons - are gone and losses of
the basic grains that Nicaraguans eat - beans and rice - are much higher.
Officials estimate that 70 bridges are either damaged or destroyed and that
approximately 13,000 kilometers of highway are ruined.  Helicopters are in
short supply to deliver aid, to airlift stranded and sickening survivors of
the flooding or to transport rotting corpses

    In short, as Managua-based the Rev. Veronica Argueda of the Council of
Evangelical Churches of Nicaragua (CEPAD), puts it: "People are dead.  And
there are not enough resources to get to the different places at once."

    In Nicaragua, those places include the regions of Chinandega, Leon,
Matagalpa and Esteli.  "We witnessed hundreds of people marching south
toward Managua with only a plastic bag or two," said Brown, "Whole
communities leaving in search of food and water.  The sight and stench of
rotting dead cows, horses and chickens brought us closer to the horrible
reality."

    The story is the same in Honduras but the scope is much bigger.  As of
Nov. 5, the government was reporting 6,420 people dead, 5,807 disappeared,
10,114 injured and 1,411,462 homeless.  There are 812,000 people still
living in emergency shelters and, according to the Christian Commission on
Development (CCD) in Tegucigalpa, officials are apparently giving up on
ever getting accurate statistics on the numbers of victims of the flooding.

    "We're running out of basic foods," said PC(USA) missionary Tim Wheeler
in the CCD Office in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, which is part of a massive
effort between government and nongovernmental agencies to both rescue
survivors and get relief to them.  "We're hoping to get emergency relief
from churches in the U.S. through Church World Service (CWS).  But right
now there's a whole lot of difficulty just buying food for distribution.

    "Our resources are being depleted very quickly."

    Flights from governments and nongovernmental agencies, such as
churches, are getting into Honduras now and more are scheduled.  The
government of Mexico sent 700 tons of food, 11 tons of medicine, 16
helicopters and four rescue planes, as well as 445 rescue personnel to
Honduras Nov. 4.  The Cuban government dispatched a team of physicians to
the Moskitia, a hard-hit coastal area.  And Church World Service - the
relief arm of the National Council of Churches (NCC) in New York City - is
preparing shipments of more than $2.5 million in food and medicines to
Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador, much of it donated bulk materials.
(Fifty-five thousand dollars was given from PC(USA) One Great Hour of
Sharing funds.)

    CWS already has sent $40,000 in Blanket Fund monies directly to CCD,
while the PC(USA) has sent smaller sums to partners - such as CCD and CEPAD
- to help support their relief efforts.  According to Susan Ryan, director
of Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA), the denomination has already
earmarked $100,000 for relief work in 1998 and another $100,000 for
recovery work in 1999.

    Ryan said updates and liturgies are available now on PDA's Web site at
http://www.pcusa.org/pda

    The account number for Tropical Storm Relief is #9-2000139.  Checks may
be mailed to Central Receiving Service, 100 Witherspoon St., Louisville, KY
40202.  Credit cards gifts may be telephoned into PresbyTel at
1-800-UP-2-DATE (1-800-872-3283).  Nearly $22,000 has been donated over the
PresbyTel lines in the past two days, with $20,000 of that given by one
donor.

    Though the CWS Director's Advance Fund sent $20,000 to CIEETS earlier
this week, CWS is waiting for further proposals from Nicaragua before
sending more aid.  Nicaraguan relief workers say that coordination there
has been hard because the Nicaraguan government has failed to develop a
clear-cut national plan.  Protestant organizations - while dispensing aid
to some churches - have so far been left out of what coordinated relief the
government has authorized through the Roman Catholic Church.

    It was not clear at press time whether taxes would be leveled on relief
goods coming into Nicaragua's ports -  an almost unheard of problem - and
the president, Arnoldo Aleman, was being criticized widely for either
politicizing the tragedy or ignoring its depths. "The New York Times"
reported Nov. 4 that the president was greeted by jeers and catcalls in
Leon itself on an inspection trip.  "We don't need an inspection, we need
food," and "Where is the aid?" were repeated questions hurled from the
crowd.

    PC(USA) missionary Emerson Wilson in northern Esteli - just three hours
from the Honduran border - saw government workers handing out candy to
children and asked, "Where are the beans and rice and water?" He was told,
"We don't have any."  As PC(USA) mission worker David Gist in Managua put
it: "The coordination [that seems to be happening in Honduras] is not the
case here.  The lack of government response - and the response specifically
of this president [I've heard Nicaraguans say] - has been an abomination."

    In Nicaragua, CEPAD is laying out a two-pronged approach to the
disaster: trying to save lives with available material support and
providing a pastoral presence.  "We feel weak," Argueda told the
Presbyterian News Service Nov. 5.   "There is a constant state of emergency
 ... but though we feel helpless, we just can't sit here without doing
anything.  We know as Christians we have to do something.

    "So the feeling of response - of wanting to do something - overrides
the helplessness."

     There are all kinds of helplessness in this disaster.

    Joaquin Mejia of Tegucigalpa - who served as a reconciliation and
mission volunteer last year in First Presbyterian Church in Santa Ana -
knows that the six members of his immediate family survived the flood, as
did their house.  "We didn't sleep for three or four days," he told the
Presbyterian News Service.  "It was horrible; I thought the whole city was
going to be flooded.

    "We just listened to the radio," he said, noting that after seven of
the city's 10 bridges flooded, there was no way to leave.

    But the family is still waiting to hear from his father's sister, her
seven children and her 14 grandchildren, who lived in the mountains where
there were massive mud slides.

    "The whole country is almost destroyed," he said.  "There are houses in
the river, people in the streets and a lot of water in houses.  It is
horrible."