From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Council of Evangelical Churches of Nicaragua Issues Letter

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 11 Nov 1998 20:03:37

98369

    Council of Evangelical Churches of Nicaragua Issues
    Pastoral Letter on Crisis

    by Alexa Smith

Editor's Note: The Council of Evangelical Churches of Nicaragua (CEPAD)
issued the following pastoral letter to the people of Nicaragua, the
churches, the government of the Republic of Nicaragua and the international
community Nov. 5. - Alexa Smith

    Joined together in a special session of the General Assembly to discern
the Word of God in this difficult hour for Nicaragua and other countries of
Central America, and facing the consequences of Hurricane Mitch, we find in
God's Word expressions of consolation and hope.  Psalm 46: 1: "God is our
shelter and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble."  Isaiah
40: 1: "Comfort my people," says our God. "Comfort them!"

    1.  Motivated by this reflection and testimonies of brothers and
sisters during this assembly, we feel with profound pain the human losses
in Posoltega, Le¢n, Chinandega, Esteli, Jinotega, Matagalpa, Villanueva and
other towns and villages of the country.  We want to express words of
consolation to all those who have suffered and continue to suffer the
consequences of Hurricane Mitch, those who have lost members of their
families as well as those who have lost some or all of their belongings,
fruits of their lifelong labor.

    2.  We call on the people of Nicaragua to join in active solidarity
with all victims, reminding one another that we are a poor people and these
are not moments to take advantage of the situation by increasing the prices
of products that are necessary for survival.

      We see with hope the generosity of Nicaraguans who have given away
personal possessions in the midst of the poverty that overwhelms us in
order to share with those hardest hit by this natural phenomenon.

    During our CEPAD General Assembly, we heard testimonies from different
churches that have responded and given consolation to the victims.  More
than 400 committees from the departments of pastoral ministry, women's
concerns and youth ministry in all regions of the country and the 17
different CEPAD offices throughout the country have been mobilized,
participating actively in the great effort to determine the most immediate
needs of the affected population.  These committees have established links
and channels of communication, coordinating with local authorities in order
to give effective help to the affected communities.

    3.  All of us have been deeply moved by this tragedy.  We are praying
that the President of Nicaragua and his ministers will be illuminated by
God's wisdom in order to be truly sensitive and objective in responding
adequately to the national situation.  We call on our government officials
to reconsider the application of the Structural Adjustment Program during
this time of disaster and to take advantage of the rich experience of civil
organizations who have historically given valuable support in moments of
crisis.

    4.  The system of poverty that exists in Nicaragua which can be seen in
the high unemployment and illiteracy will become worse with the effects of
the hurricane.  For this reason we request from the international community
and church organizations immediate aid in order to meet the human needs in
a comprehensive manner.

    5.  We call on the people of Nicaragua, and particularly the churches,
to:

    a.  Maintain an attitude of permanent solidarity as we face the tasks
of reconstruction and restoration.
    b.  Pray steadily for God's intercession.
    c.  Take this as an opportunity to recognize the violence and abuse
that we have committed against nature through indiscriminate deforestation
that to some extent has worsened the consequences of this natural
phenomenon.

    On behalf of the General Assembly of CEPAD and the Board of Directors,

Dr. Gustavo A. Paraj¢n, President
The Rev. Hedley Wilson, Secretary