From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Family, Friends of Hurricane Mitch Desperately Await Word

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 11 Nov 1998 20:05:39

98370

    Family, Friends of Hurricane Mitch Desperately
    Await Word, Search for Hope

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -Floricel Enriques knows now that her father and mother are
alive.

      Last week, after Hurricane Mitch dumped more than four feet of rain
on Honduras, she couldn't be sure. With telephone lines down and circuits
jammed she got only busy signals for four days, as she tried to get through
to the Honduran town of. Talonga from Rosewell, N.M.

    The only thing left to do was cry.

    "I felt like the most useless person in the world, seeing all this
happening and I'm not able to do anything," Enriques , 24, said of watching
newcasts of the wind, the water and the death back home. Enriques, who is
serving as one of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)'s Reconciliation &
Mission (R&M) partners in Roswell's Westminster Presbyterian Church, said,
"I suffered ... anxiety attacks trying to get information, but I couldn't
find out anything."

    Now she knows, her parents, Isidro and Ramona, are alive.  But there is
sitting on a patch of high ground that didn't slide when the rivers flooded
below.   The bridge that connects Talonga to Tegucigalpa, Honduras'
battered capital, is down.  It is one of seven obliterated bridges that
tied that city to the rest of the country.

    Enriques' father is not only cut-off from work - in a country without
insurance or government assistance, he is also without a paycheck.  And
since the disaster destroyed homes, businesses, crops and roadways - nobody
knows for how long.

    "My family is fine," Enriques said. "But they are worried.  The
economic situation is bad."

    The emotional situation is equally bad for families here still awaiting
word on family there.  With the death toll now hovering around 10,000,
Hondurans and Nicaraguans, Guatemalans and El Salvadorans living in the
United States wait for and worry about information coming from back home.

    But even if good news comes, it is most often not the final word. Each
day seems to bring new complications to recovery efforts.

    That the worst isn't over is not a hard scenario to picture in
countries where dead and bloated cows and decaying human bodies lay out in
the open and put entire regions at risk for disease. The infrastructure is
so destroyed that getting relief supplies to survivors who are still alive
but stranded is difficult and, in some areas, impossible.  In Nicaragua -
as if things are not bad enough - Reuters News Service reported that heavy
flooding has loosened and scattered some 75,000 landmines planted during
the wars of the 1980s.

    "The pictures you see on the news just flash on," said Amy Shubitz in
Tucson, Ariz., who has been sitting with Honduran and Guatemalan immigrants
at the Southside Presbyterian Church there, which has long tied its
ministries to the needs of Central American refugees.  "And you can see
people staring to see whether or not the people on the television are
family members or friends in the mud and the water ... People just feel so
helpless, so far away."

    So churches with Honduran, Nicaraguan and Guatemalan members are doing
what anyone might expect: packing up as much medicine, non-perishable food
and clothing as they can and shipping it south.  The Task Force on Central
America, which is housed in the Southside church, has packed up 60 boxes of
supplies for a Pastors for Peace caravan to Chiapas, Mexico, and Nicaragua.
A worship service in response to the tragedy was held at the bilingual
Mission Presbyterian Church in San Francisco last Sunday, with the offering
earmarked to Presbyterian Disaster Assistance. The Canto Esperanza
congregation - a Hispanic new church development outside Chicago - is
taking up special offerings and funneling them to Honduras through the
Honduran Embassy.

    "We've got one woman who thinks she lost her sister," said the Rev.
Jose Casal, pastor of Canto Esperanza. He said Tegucigalpa is so
incapacitated by the water that relatives outside the city cannot get in to
check on friends and relatives there.  Phone service is unpredictable, some
lines are still down.  "What she knows is where her sister lived in the
city ... everybody is dead," Casal said. "The river came up and everybody
is gone, so she thinks that maybe her sister is dead ... we're trying to
show her our solidarity and support."

    Central Americans have traditionally drawn together in the face of
overwhelming odds, whether it is war, an earthquake, or like now, a flood.

    "Part of what overwhelms me about this whole situation is that [Central
Americans] have already suffered so much," said Anne Dunlap of Santa Fe,
N.M., who coordinates the R&M program, which places Central American
volunteers in U.S. churches and vice versa. "We're talking about folks that
lived through war, torture and disappearances.  Now, what little bit they
have is gone, especially in Honduras."

    Dunlap described how the Rev. Jennifer Parker of Chicago, a PC(USA) R&M
worker in Managua, desperately thumbs through her Spanish dictionary to
find the pastoral words she needs when talking with displaced Nicaraguans
in the city's shelters and barrios. "There are tremendous material needs
right now for food and clothing, but at least as great is the need for
pastoral care," she said.

      "That was true before," Dunlap added describing the emotional trauma
that is a legacy of the brutal wars of the 1980s that killed and tortured
hundreds of thousands of Central Americans. "It is even more true now."

     According to the denomination's Hispanic Congregational Enhancement
Office, most of the Presbyterian churches that have Central American
members are located in California, usually in San Francisco or Los Angeles.
The majority of those people are Guatemalan, since the National Evangelical
Presbyterian Church of Guatemala is a sizeable denomination. There are
fewer Presbyterians in Honduras, Nicaragua or El Salvador.

    Communidad Christiana - an Hispanic congregation that is nestled within
the Canoga Park Presbyterian Church in Canoga Park., Calif.,  has held a
special worship to offer "comfort and courage (in the aftermath of
Hurricane Mitch,)" as the Rev. Daniel Beteta said.  The church's women's
group is pulling together food, clothing and medicine for shipment and the
deacons have been sending cards to the 12 or so families waiting on
information about families in Honduras and Guatemala.

     "It is really hard," said Beteta.

    Nicaraguan Elena Juarez of Miami's First Spanish Presbyterian Church
agrees.  Along with her parents, Juarez waited nearly one week for word
about her grandparents whose rural home was in the province of Chinandega,
one of the areas hardest hit by Mitch.  When rescue teams got into the
area, her grandmother used a cell phone to contact a son in Managua who
then called Juarez here.  She assumes her grandparents' straw house is gone
and that their two horses are probably gone too.

    "We thought the worst," she said of the days she spent just waiting.
"My uncles tried to go to the area, but couldn't.  There were no bridges.
We are happy with the fact that they are okay, but we're worried about
them.  I heard a few days ago that food was to be delivered.  But there are
just a few helicopters available for transport.  So we're wondering, `Are
they getting enough food?'

    "We know they're okay.  They're alive.  But we're worried," Juarez
said.

    Nancy Rosas of Santa Fe, N.M.., a member of First Presbyterian Church
there,  knows just how that feels.

      Rosas waited in the United States for news from her parents and a
brother who live in Honduras.  Her brothers and sisters in Guatemala waited
as well, hoping for the best but preparing for the worst as the rain kept
coming down and the newsreports became more horrific.

    When she learned that her parents, Domingo and Yolanda, are alive and
well, with a dry house, she was elated. Rosas was soon overcome, however,
by their tales of roadways clogged with displaced Hondurans begging for
clean water, food and medicine. Struggling to find hope in the tragedy, she
wrote a poem titled "Mitch: A Challenge for a New Genesis"

    "Hearing again my parent's voice on the phone
        the feeling of resurrection became real,
        a sign of life after so much death and destruction.

    A familiar voice reminding me
    the duality of life in Central America
    life-death, death-life
    the constant challenge to rise again

    The awaited waters of life
        brought back the forgotten chaos
        to challenge my people for a new Genesis

    Like a baptism,
        my people have been submerged in the waters of death
        to experience the power of resurrection

    Arise and shine Centroamerica
    Your light will glow as the dawn,
    Friday will end
    and Sunday will come with the good news of resurrection!