From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Central American Church Leaders Urge Pardon of Debts

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 12 Nov 1998 20:06:14

98375

    Central American Church Leaders Urge Pardon of Debts
    in Wake of Disaster

    by Paul Jeffrey
    Ecumenical News International

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras-Central American church leaders have appealed to
international lenders to forgive the foreign debt of Honduras and
Nicaragua, two poor countries that have
been devastated by Hurricane Mitch.

    "If we're going to survive and rebuild, we've got to start off with
complete forgiveness of the debt," said Noemi Espinoza, executive president
of the Christian Commission for Development in Honduras.

    "It makes no sense to receive massive amounts of international aid and
then turn around and send money out of the country to pay the interest on
the debt," Espinoza told ENI.  "We want to keep our resources at home to
rebuild our country. We still need help from our friends around the world,
but we can make our own contribution [to reconstruction].  Canceling the
debt will make that possible.  Otherwise we'll never recover from the
hurricane."

    Honduras owes $4.2 billion and Nicaragua owes $6 billion, mainly to
international lending agencies.  Both governments spend more than 50 per
cent of their income on servicing the debt.

    After Haiti, the two countries are the poorest in the western
hemisphere.  Hurricane Mitch, described by some as "the worst disaster in
modern history," has left them in even worse shape.  In Honduras alone,
6,000 people are dead and an equal number missing.  Sixty per cent of the
country's infrastructure has been severely damaged or washed away.  Seventy
per cent of  crops have been destroyed.

    The situation is almost as bad in neighboring Nicaragua.  Without
massive international assistance, both countries face years of famine,
epidemic illness, and strife.

    Following a meeting of Central American presidents in San Salvador on
Nov. 9, Honduran President Carlos Flores declared his country's debt
"unpayable."

    "In 72 hours, we lost what we had built, little by little, in 50
years," President Flores declared.

    Espinoza, whose organization is the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
partner agency in Honduras and is also linked to the Geneva-based Action by
Churches Together (ACT), described her country's debt as "immoral," an
"obstacle to development and democratization before the storm, and, after
Hurricane Mitch, it must be cancelled ... if we're to have any hope for the
future."

    The Roman Catholic Archbishop of Tegucigalpa, Oscar Andres Rodriguez,
joined Espinoza in calling for the complete forgiveness of Honduras' and
Nicaragua's debt.  "It may not be economically possible, nor politically
possible, but it has to be humanly possible," he said Nov. 8.
On the same day the leader of Nicaragua's Roman Catholics called for the
cancellation of the debt as "a gesture of solidarity" with the victims of
Hurricane Mitch.

    "We were poor before, yet our situation is even worse now," said
Cardinal Miguel Obando y Bravo, Archbishop of Managua.  "The peasants live
from their corn, their beans, from their pigs and their chickens.  But all
that was lost in the rains ... The international community should have
compassion on us and the rest of Central America."

    The executive director of the Nicaraguan Council of Evangelical
Churches, Gilberto Aguirre, told ENI that his country's foreign debt "has a
highly negative impact on the quality of life, raising unemployment while
lowering the availability of education and health services."

    Aguirre called Nicaragua's debt "the biggest obstacle to development of
the country."

    A coalition of international church workers in Nicaragua has accused
international lending agencies of pressuring the Nicaraguan government "to
prioritize paying debts ahead of caring for its citizens."

    In a letter made public last week, the Ecumenical Committee of
International Church Personnel in Nicaragua pointed out that last year the
Nicaraguan government spent 2.5 times more on debt service than on health
and education combined.

    "In the wake of Hurricane Mitch, the outrage of debt bondage has never
been more obvious," the committee stated.