From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Adopts "Interfaith Relations" Draft

From FRANK_IMHOFF.parti@ecunet.org (FRANK IMHOFF)
Date 13 Nov 1998 07:50:55

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: NCCCUSA News, 212-870-2227
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

CHICAGO, Nov. 12, 1998 --- At its General Assembly meeting here, held Nov
11-13, members of the National Council of Churches (NCC) unanimously gave
preliminary approval to a proposed policy statement on interfaith
relations.  The document will be circulated for study and review, with
final action set for the November 1999 General Assembly.

The statement "Interfaith Relations and the Churches," was written "to
encourage ecumenical participation in interfaith relations and to encourage
ecumenical consultation in the Christian theology and practice of
interfaith relations."

It is also intended to "provide a policy base for the NCC in those areas of
its program which involve relating to our working with men and women of
other religions," according to a document prepared by the Interfaith
Relations Commission.

The draft is the product of wide consultation with member communions and
NCC program units.  Members of several delegations, including United
Methodist, United Church of Christ and Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America, and from state ecumenical/interfaith agencies, expressed
particular appreciation for the proposed policy and said they planned to
begin using it even though final approval is a year away.

The Rev. Margaret O. Thomas, chair of the Commission, told the Assembly
"the Council has learned about and engaged in relationships with people of
other faiths.  An early task of the Commission has been the development of
a first policy statement that would provide a base for this work."

Thomas continued, "Our need for policy is heightened by current realities,
today we find ourselves as Christians in the United States in direct
relationships with Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, Native American traditionalist
and others who are parts of various religious traditions and who are our
neighbors."

"Christians need to be able to reflect theologically and be free to relate
socially and politically in our life together in this nation and around the
world.  We need to assess the effects of religion upon our common social
and political life," she said.

"We have a document "that is written by Christians for Christians, but
reflects some understandings of others about us [Christians] and is written
in a way that they would be able to read as well to learn what we as
Christians think about this concern," Thomas said.

"This statement is both a statement of the churches and statement to
encourage continued discussion and action among and between the churches.
It invites affirmation of the Trinitarian theological understanding of
Christian faithfulness as including faithful relations with people of other
religious traditions.  It invites an engagement with people of other
religious traditions in addressing many of the social concerns and justice
issues that have already been agreed upon by this body," Thomas told the
assembly.

During discussion on the proposed policy Barbara Thompson, a member of the
delegation from the United Methodist Church, suggested that wording
regarding diversity be changed to read "that cultural and ethnic makeup of
our communities and churches has increased the religious diversity."  The
current text reads "... increased religious diversity has changed the
cultural and ethnic makeup of our communities and churches."

Another United Methodist voiced concern regarding language that condemns
"bias and other forms of sinful bigotry that turn religious differences
into excuses for defamation, stereotyping and violence and defend their
victims," asked the body to consider adding a stronger comment about Native
American peoples religious practices.

"The issue of religious freedom among Native peoples in the United States
is unparalleled in modern times as to the destruction of sacred sites," he
said.

Elaine Huszagh, Nehalem, Ore., a member of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese
of America, referring to a section of the document that speaks to religious
persecution of other faiths, suggested "a section be devoted to the
anti-Christian movements that are occurring all over the world as a part of
the world's intolerance.  Whatever the dominate faith tradition as we move
forward we are going to find ourselves increasingly looking at Christian
persecutions and wishing that people of other faiths will comment about
that persecution."

A section of the draft policy statement titled "Marks of Faithfulness"
states, "When we approach others with an open heart, it is possible that we
may be hurt.  When we encounter others with an open mind, we may have to
change our positions or give up certainty, but we may gain new insights.
Prompted to ask new questions, we will search the Scriptures and be
attentive to the Spirit in new ways to mature in Christ and in love and
service to others."

-end-