From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Orthodox Recommit to NCC, Recommend Changes

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 13 Nov 1998 12:49:46

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252
Internet: news@ncccusa.org; Web: http://www.ncccusa.org

NCC11/13/98                     FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ORTHODOX RECOMMIT THEMSELVES TO NCC, RECOMMEND CHANGES

	CHICAGO, Nov. 13, 1998 ---- In a report to the
National Council of Churches (NCC) annual General
Assembly about a special consultation held in October,
the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox members of the NCC
recommitted themselves to the NCC and recommended
several changes to increase and improve their
involvement.

	"Many of you know that among the Eastern and
Oriental Orthodox, there have been some questions about
our participation in the ecumenical movement and in the
NCC," said Bishop Dimitrios of the Greek Orthodox
Archdiocese of America, who presented the report from
the Inter-Orthodox Consultation to the NCC General
Assembly.  The consultation was held October 5-6 and
brought 32 participants from the nine Eastern and
Oriental Orthodox member communions to discuss Orthodox
concerns and to deliberately investigate solutions for
them.

	The consultation and its outcome are particularly
important on the eve of the World Council of Churches
Assembly in Harare, to which some Orthodox churches,
including the Russian Orthodox, have deliberately
chosen to reduce or possibly even not send their
delegations.

	Bishop Dimitrios said that thanks to the
consultation, initiated by the Rev. Dr. Joan Brown
Campbell, NCC General Secretary and the Rev. Gabriel
Habib, NCC Consultant in International Affairs, the
Orthodox recommitted themselves to the NCC and the
ecumenical movement.  "We realized that our
participation in the ecumenical movement is a divine
imperative," Bishop Dimitrios said.  "We cannot choose
to not be a part of this movement."

	As part of that recommitment, the participants
"affirmed our need to be more responsible," he said.
"We benefit morally, spiritually and materially" from
the ecumenical movement, but "our churches do not
contribute as much as we receive."

	"We cannot continue to talk as if we are not
participants," Bishop Dimitrios said, using "us" and
"them" language.  "'They' are `us'!" he said.  "We must
become more and more familiar with the NCC" to be
better involved, he added.

	"This consultation was needed not only because the
Orthodox Churches have been raising questions about
their involvement in the ecumenical movement for
several years, but because there is an ecumenical
crisis worldwide," said Rev. Habib.  "This crisis is
not due to the `Orthodox attitude,' as is sometimes
suggested, but to a decrease in confidence of all
churches in the ecumenical ideal.  We thought it was
appropriate that the Orthodox churches in America come
together to reflect on this."

	"The most important thing to come out is their
commitment to continue more effectively in the NCC and
the ecumenical movement," said Dr. Campbell.  "Through
this kind of participation and their common witness in
America and `Western culture', the American Orthodox
have a unique contribution to make toward Orthodoxy
worldwide," he explained.

	These points were made in the "affirmations"
section of the document, which is followed by two sets
of specific recommendations.  One set of
recommendations is addressed to the Orthodox Churches
and the other to the NCC.

	Among the recommendations made to the NCC are:
  The NCC should encourage its member Churches to
participate fully in the week of prayer for
Christian Unity.
  An annual meeting, similar to the Inter-
Orthodox Consultation, should be facilitated by
the NCC.
  The Orthodox member churches should be given
the opportunity to participate actively in
setting the agenda of the General Assembly and
other important NCC events.
  More emphasis should be placed upon ecumenical
training.
  Meetings between the Eastern and Oriental
Orthodox churches should be encouraged and, if
need be, facilitated to help foster Orthodox
unity as an important stage towards Christian
unity.
  The hiring of Orthodox staff in various Council
programs.
  A liaison committee of representatives of the
Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches should
be created to help address the following
concerns:
1. Secure a constructive style of
relationships between the Orthodox Churches
and NCC.
2. Secure Orthodox participation in the
formulation of the ecumenical agenda.
3. Secure Orthodox churches
representation on NCC committees.
4. Interpret the issue of
"minority/majority" style of decision making
and seek new ways of ecumenical discernment.
5. Facilitate regular contributions by
Orthodox member churches to the NCC budget.

"I hope the consultation will be followed up on
properly from both sides and not be only a one-time
event," Rev. Habib cautioned.  "There has already been
an encouraging sign.  I was told that the leadership of
the Oriental Orthodox churches visited the chair of the
Eastern Orthodox Standing Committee, Archbishop
Spyridon, to promote unity."

"I don't know if you realize how much you have
promoted unity among the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox
church bodies," Bishop Dimitrios told the NCC.

One year away from the NCC's 50th anniversary, the
recommitment was welcomed by vigorous applause from the
delegates, who voted to receive the recommendations
"with gratitude."

-end-