From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Assembly on Iraq Crisis; Other Business

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 13 Nov 1998 12:50:07

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2252
Internet: news@ncccusa.org; Web: http://www.ncccusa.org

NCC ASSEMBLY ASKS CLINTON'S "RESTRAINT" IN DEALING WITH
IRAQ
Report of Other Business During Nov. 11-13 Annual
Meeting Follows

CHICAGO, Nov. 13 -- The General Assembly of the
National Council of Churches has agreed unanimously to
send a letter to President Clinton asking for restraint
in dealing with Iraq.  The letter asks Clinton to
pursue non-military solutions to Iraq's non-compliance
with United Nations resolutions while lifting current
sanctions against the Middle East nation.

	Earlier in its meeting, Nov. 11-13, the Assembly
received a report clarifying the NCC's understanding of
sanctions.  The report from Church World Service
commended World Council of Churches guidelines for
evaluating the ethical use of economic sanctions,
including that humanitarian exemptions be made for
food, medicine, basic school supplies and agricultural
needs.

	The team that drafted the letter corresponded with
the Middle East Council of Churches and consulted
another document of the Assembly that listed seven
"pillars of peace" that supported the work of the
United Nations to ensure "peace rooted in justice."

	The text of the letter follows:

November 13, 1998

Dear Mr. President,

The General Assembly of the National Council of
Churches of Christ in the U.S.A., meeting in Chicago
November 11-13, has heard with apprehension the reports
of the escalating crisis between Iraq and the United
Nations and of the threat of the use of U.S. military
force against Iraq.  We call upon you to seek every way
to avoid the use of force and to resolve the matter of
this conflict by peaceful means.  In doing so, we join
our voices with those of our brothers and sisters in
the churches of the Middle East, who through our sister
organization, the Middle East Council of Churches, have
stated their opposition to the use of military force
against Iraq.

As in previous confrontations between Iraq and the
United States, this one involves the issue of United
Nations weapons inspections and the continuation of
sanctions against Iraq.  The NCCCUSA has called upon
and still calls upon Iraq to comply fully with United
Nations resolutions and cooperate with United Nations
weapons inspection teams.  At the same time, we are
acutely aware of the immorally massive level of
suffering that the economic sanctions have imposed upon
the people of Iraq, especially the most vulnerable
among them, including children, women, the elderly and
the sick.  According to the United Nations and other
studies, in the past eight years, as many as 1 million
people have died as a result of these sanctions.  Many
more have experienced severe deprivation and disruption
of their lives.  In partnership with the churches in
the region, the NCCCUSA has provided humanitarian
relief to alleviate their suffering.  During Holy Week
this year, members of our body have visited Iraq and
seen first hand the human devastation that the
sanctions have wrought.  Having seen such visions, the
depiction of Iraqis in the media as enemies is
repugnant to us.

Last February, when military conflict then seemed
imminent, the NCCCUSA and its member churches called
upon you not to attack Iraq, but instead to seek a new
policy that would end economic sanctions against Iraq,
end the unconscionable and fruitless suffering of the
Iraqi people, and seek new ways to return Iraq to the
community of nations.  We repeat that call now.  Seek
peace, and pursue it.

AMBASSADOR YOUNG BRINGS CHINA DELEGATION REPORT

	The Honorable Andrew Young, president-elect of the
National Council of Churches of the USA (NCC), shared
reflections of a recent trip to China with delegates of
the General Assembly meeting here Nov. 11-13.  Young
was a part of an NCC delegation that visited China
earlier this year.

	"Just listening to the news and thinking of myself
as fairly well informed, I thought I was going into a
rather hostile and dangerous situation, going to China
as a Christian minister, representing the National
Council of Churches of Christ.  I was filled with fears
even though I had gone to China on two other separate
occasions," said Young.

	"My fears about the religious situation in China
were shaped by the conventional wisdom of the United
States.  I was shocked to find that I was invited to
preach and some 4,000 people showed up," he said.

	"Once we finished preaching and the music stopped,
the other preachers came down we knelt in prayers and
in tears, spoke with the kind of authenticity that I
did not expect to see.  I felt very much at home in
that church.  It was a post-denominational church, and
I do not know what the heritage and history was, but
they came together and represented a vibrant spiritual
force that was truly a resurrection church," Young
said.

	"Prior to the cultural revolution there were less
than a million Christians in China. The people's spirit
sought to curtail a radical old relentlessness that not
only sought to destroy the church but sought to destroy
anything modern and visionary," he said.

	"The church came through that largely because the
church acted like Christians under persecution.  They
did not turn in their neighbors.  When their neighbors
were put in prison, they took care of the children and
expressed the love of God that they had known," said
Young.  "They acted like Christians."

IN OTHER BUSINESS, THE NCC GENERAL ASSEMBLY.

" Gave "first reading" to "Seven Pillars of Peace for
the 21st Century" and expressed support for the
United Nations.  "Peace rooted in justice" is the
foundation of seven "Pillars of Peace for the 21st
Century" that the General Assembly of the National
Council of Churches (NCC) gave first reading Nov.
12.  The document will be circulated for review and
feedback and come back to the Assembly for final
action in November 1999.

	This proposed document - to become a new NCC
policy statement on the United Nations -- will update
"Six Pillars of Peace" the Federal Council of Churches
studied in the midst of World War II.  The Federal
Council of Churches was a predecessor body to the NCC.
"All six of those pillars of peace, bar none, were
included in the charter of the United Nations," said
Mia Adjali, executive secretary for global concerns of
the Women's Division of the United Methodist Church,
introducing the proposed document.  She said the update
will address concerns that were not necessarily the
priorities they are today: the environment, women,
human rights, non-military threats to society, and
poverty.

	"A new world vision is needed, a vision of peace
rooted in justice," says the document.  "The National
Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA renews its
support for the United Nations, calls upon the United
States government to fully support the United Nations
and affirms the following principles."  The document
will return to the NCC's 1999 General Assembly for
adoption.  In the coming year, the NCC's member
communions will study it with the help of a study guide
and video the council is producing.  They will be
available at the beginning of 1999.  The nation-wide
study will examine requirements for global peace and
the international institutions that are needed to carry
out these requirements.

The seven pillars are: International Political
Framework for Continuing Collaboration; International
Economic Accountability; Comprehensive International
Legal System; Liberation and Empowerment; Conflict
Resolution and Building a Culture of Peace; Human
Dignity and Rights; Protection and Preservation of the
Environment..

" Celebrated (Nov. 11) the 50th anniversary of the
World Council of Churches in a festive service held
at First United Methodist Church in Evanston, Ill.,
where the WCC held its Second Assembly in 1954.

	Former WCC General Secretary Emilio Castro, in his
sermon, described an ecumenical movement "extended to
the breaking point" over differences in belief and
behavior.  "What's natural and normal for some is out
of touch totally for others." He expressed his hope
that participants in the WCC's Eighth Assembly, to take
place in Harare, Zimbabwe, in December, will use the
occasion "to build relationships, recognizing others as
trying to be as faithful a Christian as I am trying to
be."  He also challenged ecumenists "to work to build a
little more justice in a world where people are trying
to convince us how to be a better consumer day by day."

	First United Methodist's senior minister, the Rev.
Dean Francis, welcomed the Assembly and the
representatives of Northern Illinois judicatories who
took part in the celebration.  The service included
liturgical elements from resources prepared for the
Harare Assembly and testimonies to the WCC's witness to
unity by the Very Rev. Leonid Kishkovsky, Orthodox
Church in America and a former NCC president; Rev. Dr.
Joan B. Campbell, NCC General Secretary, and Bishop
Vinton Anderson, African Methodist Episcopal Church,
the first WCC President from an historic Black church.

" Welcomed many special guest speakers, including
three from ecumenical and denominational ministries
with refugees in Togo, South Africa and Kenya; Dr.
Gert van Maanen, general manager of the Ecumenical
Development Cooperative Society; the Rev. David A.
Anderson, Executive Director of the Illinois
Conference of Churches; and a Native American
leader, who (at the Interfaith Breakfast) asked
churches to support self-determination for Indian
peoples; and the Rev. Cynthia Campbell, who
described the recent Lutheran/Reformed relationship
of full communion.

" elected Rebecca Cruz, a lay member of the Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ), Chicago, to serve out
the unexpired term of the Rev. Joan Parrott as vice-
president at large of the NCC Executive Board.  The
Rev. Parrott of the American Baptist Churches in the
USA resigned her position with the Executive Board
in January of this year, indicating a desire to
focus more on local church involvement.  Ms. Cruz
currently serves as chair of the Inclusiveness and
Justice Standing Committee of the Council.  She has
served on the General Board of the Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ) and is moderator-elect of the
denomination's regional board for Illinois and
Wisconsin.

-end-