From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ruling on "labels" draws mixed reaction

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 16 Nov 1998 13:50:35

Nov. 16, 1998	Contact: Linda Bloom·(212) 870-3803·New York    {671}

By United Methodist News Service

The recent United Methodist Judicial Council ruling that annual
conferences, church agencies or other official bodies may not identify
with or take the "label" of an unofficial group has met with mixed
reactions from representatives of such organizations.

The Confessing Movement is "fine with the decision" because its purpose
is to refocus church attention on doctrine, discipline and scripture,
said Executive Director Patricia Miller. She credited the increasing
influence of the Confessing Movement as a factor in the Judicial Council
decision.

The October ruling (UMNS #641) by the denomination's supreme court arose
out of the Northwest Texas Annual Conference's decision last June to
become a "confessing conference." The Judicial Council disagreed with
the opinion of the presiding bishop that the label was only an
expression of opinion and not in conflict with the United Methodist Book
of Discipline.

The council noted that the denomination's Articles of Religion,
Confession of Faith and General Rules are protected from change,
paraphrase or summary. By affirming doctrinal statements in its
resolution to become a confessing conference, Northwest Texas violated
the church's constitution, the council ruled.

The latest ruling reverses an earlier Judicial Council decision allowing
the Wisconsin Annual Conference to become a "reconciling conference" and
the churchwide Commission on Christian Unity and Interreligious Concerns
to become a "reconciling commission."

Six annual conferences, 150 congregations and 23 campus ministries have
aligned themselves with the Reconciling Congregations Program, a
movement that welcomes all persons to the church, regardless of sexual
orientation.

In a statement issued in response to the October ruling, the program's
board of directors called the action "further evidence of a desperate
and defensive denomination trying to squelch the movement of God's
spirit. We grieve for our ailing church that increasingly attempts to
enforce obedience and unity by coercion instead of building up the Body
of Christ through the bold proclamation of God's unconditional love and
grace."

The continued marginalization because of sexual orientation "brings pain
to faithful United Methodists who are gay, lesbian and bisexual as well
as their family members," the directors stated. "An increasing number of
United Methodist individuals and groups recognize that this
discrimination is contrary to the Gospel of Jesus Christ."

The Reconciling Congregations Program board called on United Methodists
to continue wearing the reconciling label "until all divisive policies
of exclusion within the United Methodist Church cease."

The Rev. Bruce Robbins, general secretary of the Commission on Christian
Unity and Interreligious Concerns, noted that it was the witness of the
Reconciling Congregations Program that inspired his agency to become a
"reconciling commission."

In his opinion, when gays and lesbians "became public in our churches,
they offered the United Methodist congregations a 'test case' for
hospitality. Are we welcoming of all people into the life of our church,
no matter how uncomfortable they make some of us?

"The commission's action was an attempt to say that, even though we may
disagree with each other regarding homosexuality and the Christian
faith, everyone, including gay men and lesbians, is welcome among us,"
he continued. "We are baptized into one Body of Christ."

Robbins said he hopes the commission will find other ways to advocate
its mandate, "the unity of the Body of Christ in all aspects of the
church's life."

The Judicial Council's ruling on annual conferences has received
tentative support from the Transforming Congregations movement, which
considers homosexuality a sin but believes the Holy Spirit can transform
the lives of those struggling with homosexuality.

The Rev. Robert Kuyper of Transforming Congregations said he welcomes an
end to the debates within annual conferences over whether to become a
reconciling or transforming conference.

"Every dollar spent on political battles is a dollar taken away from
ministry," he explained. "It seems to take a lot of time and a lot of
resources."

While he thinks there is value in the "transforming" label at the local
church level, especially in demonstrating the ministry of the
congregation, Kuyper said he agreed with the council that labels could
be divisive, "particularly at the annual conference level."

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at
http://www.umc.org/umns/