From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Renowned Disciples ecumenist speaks on the state of Christian

From "Wilma Shuffitt"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 18 Nov 1998 09:15:22

unity
Date: November 18, 1998
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Curt Miller
Email: CMiller@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

98a-68

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- "I am the luckiest man on the face of the
earth" -- the words of retiring baseball legend Lou Gehrig echoed by
a retiring Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) leader who's
traversed a good deal of the earth's face in his 40 year career as an
ecumenist.  A wide variety of activities Nov. 5-9 honored the Rev.
Paul A. Crow, Jr., Council on Christian Unity president for the last
quarter of a century.

	"It's been a marvelous, marvelous, experience," Crow told the CCU
directors in his final board meeting with them.  He recounted for the
board some of the highlights of his career, including his
participation in the inauguration of the Church of India in 1970, his
1986 trip to Assisi, Italy to pray for world peace with Pope John
Paul II, and his years (1968-1974) as the first general secretary of
the Consultation on Church Union.

	More than two dozen of Crow's world ecumenical community colleagues
spent part of the weekend in an off-the-record symposium on the state
of global Christian unity work. Many of them attended an ecumenical
Eucharistic service and joined about 250 other colleagues, relatives
and friends at a dinner in Crow's honor.

	On Sunday, Nov. 8, Crow delivered the 17th annual Peter Ainslie
lecture at Christ Apostolic Church, Indianapolis.  While the retiring
CCU president was instrumental in establishing the lecture series and
inviting world-renowned ecumenists to speak over the years, this was
his first time at the lecture podium. Ainslie, a Disciples minister,
was a prominent ecumenist of the early 20th century and founded the
Council on Christian Unity.

	"Christian unity -- God's gift and our calling -- in a dramatically
different world" was Crow's lecture theme.  "If you take this
ecumenical century and compare it to the four previous centuries,
we're living in a different part of the galaxy," he said.  He
celebrated a host of 20th century accomplishments, among them the
transformation of the Roman Catholic Church from a position of
resistance to ecumenical leadership; the alliance of Protestant and
Orthodox churches in the World Council of Churches; the rise of
ecumenical leadership among Asians, Africans, Latin Americans, and
Caribbean and Pacific Christians; the emergence of the United Church
in South India in 1948 and subsequent unity efforts that have led to
65 United Churches around the world; and wide-ranging agreements in
talks between and among various Protestant denominations.
"Unbelievable!" he exclaimed.

	Still, as the 20th century draws to a close, some express the
sentiment that the best work of ecumenism has passed -- that the
ecumenical movement is stagnant. "Has the ecumenical vision died? Has
the ecumenical movement as we know it lost its momentum?" he asked.

	He acknowledged that the cause of Christian unity may have entered
"wintertime," but chose to interpret "winter" as a time of waiting --
a time of rest before spring.  "God was in Christ reconciling the
world to God's self, and entrusting to us the ministry of
reconciliation. That is not a wintertime statement," Crow challenged.

	He asserted that the ecumenical movement has progressed beyond
talking to the moment of deciding. "When the moment comes when your
talking must eventuate in decisions that change lives and
institutions, people get very anxious, very fearful and very
negative. But I name that as a good moment in the ecumenical
movement. If people care enough to articulate their fears, if people
care enough to debate the issues and the goals and the visions that
are being proposed, there is life in the Church. I fear apathy more
than I fear conflict."

	Crow enumerated three late 20th century challenges to Christian
unity: radical localism, a new pluralism, and the secularization of
the church.  Radical localism is expressed in the attitude "Don't
bother me with the problems of the world. The only thing that counts
for me is my congregation," Crow said.

	Human diversity is a gift of God, said Crow.  But it becomes
problematic when "difference becomes the only definition of who we
are...we name our ethnic identity, our racial identity, our national
identity as our fundamental identity -- and all the rest has no
meaning and has no claim upon our lives."

	The secularized church, Crow said, "looks to the culture to define
what is important for it. It does not look to the Gospel. The church
begins to be reformed by this kind of secular decision-making."

	"The ecumenical movement challenges localism. It says the church is
the Body of Christ, and the Body of Christ is never captive to a
particular place.  Indeed, the Body of Christ draws every place into
communion and fellowship.  The ecumenical movement challenges
isolating pluralism. When people define their unity as only with
people ‘like us,' there is not that vision of wholeness that can
transform the world," said Crow.

	The faithful church, Crow said, "can proclaim what God did in Jesus
Christ -- and in the context of that Gospel -- try to discover what
it means to be one -- to try to discover how we transcend our
differences. The Gospel announces to us that God in Jesus Christ has
made us one. So may it be."

	The Rev. Crow officially retires at the end of the year.  The Rev.
Robert K. Welsh has been named to succeed Crow.

	-- end --

{Note to Editors: Photo of Rev. Crow will be mailed}

Disciples News Service releases
are available at http://www.disciples.org/dns/index.htm