From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Identity Project Gets $1.5 Million Boost

From NEWS <NEWS@elca.org>
Date 19 Nov 1998 13:33:11

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 19, 1998

ELCA IDENTITY PROJECT GETS $1.5 MILLION BOOST
98-231-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
will receive a $1.5 million grant from Aid Association for Lutherans, a
fraternal benefits society based in Appleton, Wis.  Over the next two
years, the grant will provide matching funds to support local and regional
use of advertising materials of the ELCA Identity Project.
     "I am personally grateful to AAL for this enormous boost to our
efforts in support of congregations in their outreach," said the Rev. H.
George Anderson, ELCA presiding bishop.  "We have the materials;  AAL has
given us the means to share them widely.
     "I know that many more congregations will step forward in
partnership, now that their local contributions will be matched.  Thank
you to AAL for helping us spread the word," said Anderson.
     "We applaud the ELCA for undertaking this significant campaign to
increase awareness of the Lutheran church nationwide," said AAL Senior
Vice President Fred Ohlde. "This mass-media campaign is a wonderful
opportunity for the ELCA to invite people into the church."
     The Rev. Eric C. Shafer, director of the ELCA Department for
Communication, said, "For many years, ELCA Lutherans have been asking for
television advertising, 'like the Mormons.'  This AAL grant will allow us
to encourage congregations and groups of congregations to use advertising,
television, radio, newspapers, billboards, bus signs, flyers, and more as
well or even better than the Mormons!
     "AAL has long been a major supporter of Lutheran outreach.  This
gift, which will enable our congregations to reach out with the Gospel in
their local media market, is another example of AAL's fine commitment to
such outreach," said Shafer.  "We thank AAL for this wonderful gift."
     "With this generous grant, congregations will have the means to use
Identity Project outreach materials in their own communities," said Kristi
S. Bangert, project manager.
     "Just as important, congregations will have the opportunity to
attend special training events designed to help them hone their
hospitality skills," said Bangert.  "This support from AAL means that
congregations of the ELCA will be well prepared to invite and welcome the
stranger."
     AAL, a Fortune 500 organization based in Appleton, Wis., is a
fraternal benefits society of 1.7 million Lutherans and their families who
are joined together for insurance, volunteer and education opportunities.
AAL offers grants to Lutheran organizations and institutions, providing
more than $11 million in grants last year.

For information contact:
Frank Imhoff, Assoc. Director (773) 380-2955 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html