From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Curriculum Publishers Donating Portion Catalog Sales to Charity

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 20 Nov 1998 20:06:29

98382

    Curriculum Publishers Donating Portion
    of Christmas Catalog Sales to Charity

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-The Curriculum Publishing Program Area (CPPA) of the
Congregational Ministries Division here has announced that two of its
departments - Bridge Resources and Witherspoon Press - are giving a portion
of their Christmas catalog revenue to local and global mission agencies.

    CPPA publisher Donna Blackstock said, "The theme of this catalog, `This
Christmas, Make a Difference!' directly reflects our commitment to do our
work as an entity of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). We genuinely care
about providing the very best resources and gift ideas while being mindful
of our overall ministry to the world at large."

    Benefactors of the program include SERRV International, Morris Fork
Crafts, Presbyterian Border Ministry, several program areas of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), and the Presbyterian Community Center in
Louisville, Kentucky.

    "Our partnership with SERRV International, the Presbyterian Community
Center, Presbyterian Border Ministry, and so many others has been mutually
beneficial," Blackstock said.   "Their cooperation and support has allowed
us to nurture and support their very significant ministry in the world."

    Brian Backe, marketing director of SERRV International, a nonprofit
agency that has for nearly 50 years promoted the social and economic
progress of people in developing regions of the world by marketing their
handicrafts, said, "We are deeply grateful to PC(USA) for not only
including SERRV products in the catalog, but supporting programs like ours
that provide meaningful income for struggling craftspeople in developing
regions of the world.

    "This catalog represents a tangible commitment to the Christian
principles of social justice - not just as an abstract concept but through
real-life actions. Presbyterians and other people of faith can buy gifts
from this catalog knowing that the artisans who made these wonderful,
handmade items were treated with respect and fairness. They can give these
items as Christmas gifts with the assurance that they are not contributing
to the exploitation of workers in the developing world. Instead they are
helping to make social and economic justice a reality for one more person
and their family."

    Peggy Mudd, a staff member of the Presbyterian Community Center in
Louisville, said, "When I came to the Presbyterian Community Center six
months ago, I was struck by how quietly and successfully the Presbyterian
Community Center has served the families in its area for nearly 100 years.

    "But the world is changing.  In today's world, we must find the
resources to fully prepare our children to live productive lives in this
century and the next.  It is our challenge and privilege to provide more
than food and clothing for these children living in one of the poorest
neighborhoods in the city of Louisville.  We need to bring awareness to our
mission.  This cooperative venture with Bridge Resources and Witherspoon
Press is proving to be a wonderful way to get our word out to the world.
It's one way of reminding the world that these children belong to all of
us."

    Copies of the Christmas catalog are obtainable by calling the
Presbyterian Distribution Service at 1-800-524-2612 and asking for item
#079910.

(Information for this story furnished by Carissa Herold, CPPA)