From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Mississippi woman creates "In God's House" curriculum

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 24 Nov 1998 14:23:15

Nov. 24, 1998	Contact: Thomas S. McAnally*(615)742-5470*Nashville,
Tenn.     {689}

A UMNS Feature
By Woody Woodrick*

When folks at the Madison (Miss.) United Methodist Church, just outside
Jackson, asked Bev Cook to consider teaching children's Sunday school,
they didn't know the result would be new curriculum.

Cook, a former elementary school principal,  recently published "In
God's House," study materials designed to teach children (and parents)
how to behave at church.

"The church called me," she said.  "They were having trouble getting
people to teach Sunday school because many people don't want to deal
with the discipline issue.

"Some people were not pleased with the behavior of the children. We had
a meeting at the church and they asked me what I thought. When I was a
principal, I wanted any adult in the building to be there to help the
children, which means they could correct them. I wanted that attitude at
church."

One night when Cook couldn't sleep she got up and developed the concepts
for the book and a variety of teaching materials to instruct children
about the importance of God's house and how to treat it with respect.
Once she had the basic ideas down, she took the materials to adult
Sunday school classes for their opinions.

"People wanted more," Cook said. "I had dealt with the sanctuary and
Sunday school class but they felt like I hadn't put enough emphasis on
other areas of the church."

After making some revisions, the program was introduced at the Madison
church. The Rev. James Harrison, pastor, started the process with a
sermon that emphasized the importance of teaching children in the
church.  He referred to the baptismal covenant in which church members
promise to help children grow in the church. Cook led training for
teachers which ended with a children's service.

The pastor  is enthusiastic about the results. "We were all impressed
with the content of the material," he said. "It made a lot of parents
and children rethink some things that are important relative to our
faith and behavior. It helps recognize the importance of respecting each
other as God's children."

After using the curriculum with children of all ages, it was discovered
that it works best with grades 2-4, Cook said.

Cheryl Bowen, director of Madison's preschool program, said the children
are now much more conscious that they are "in God's house" when they
come to church.

Bowen said learning good manners early could prevent problems as
children grow older. "The earlier you start with them the better your
chances of teaching them proper behavior in the first place rather than
having to redirect bad behavior," she said.

With the success at Madison, Cook decided to offer the material to other
churches. "There is not a church in the nation that couldn't use this,"
she said. "You're saying something that needed to be said in a
kid-friendly manner."

When Cook decided to offer the curriculum to other churches she received
an education of her own. She took her manuscript to publishers, but
found no takers. Meanwhile, she talked with Richard Polzin of Jackson,
author of  a children's book about morals, who advised her to publish it
herself. When another Christian author from Hattiesburg offered the same
advice, Cook took the plunge.

She formed Bright Eyes, Inc., with the help of a Small Business
Administration loan, and hired an illustrator. They spent three months
working on illustrations to accompany the lessons. "I would have ideas
and he would draw them for me," Cook said. "Sometimes we worked on an
idea and then we would go back and revise. He was very patient with me.
I didn't want to impose on his artistic ability, but I really had a
vision for what I wanted."

Then Cook shopped for a printer. Materials include an implementation
guide, posters, 12 samples of stationery, the book, rules, posters and a
set of certificates. The package also includes an examination packet
with samples of the materials so churches may look over the curriculum
before purchasing.

^From teaching to book publisher, Cook has taken quite a journey
requiring a significant financial commitment.  However, she is not
anxious.  ""I've put it in God's hands and I just have to leave it
there," she exclaimed. She may be contacted at (601) 856-1961.
# # #
*Woodrick is editor of the Mississippi Advocate newspaper.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at
http://www.umc.org/umns/