From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Not Enough Pastors for Rapidly Growing East African Church

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 24 Nov 1998 20:05:22

98388

    Not Enough Pastors for Rapidly Growing East African
    Church, Presbyterian Missionary Reports

    by Timothy Emerick-Cayton

Editor's note: The following story was sent to the Presbyterian News
Service by the Rev. Timothy Emerick-Cayton, who with his wife Sher and
their children are serving as Presbyterian missionaries to the Presbyterian
Church of East Africa. - Jerry L. Van Marter

NAIROBI, Kenya-Imagine this.  The Presbyterian Church of East Africa (PCEA)
has 420 active, retired and tentmaker pastors and - I'm not lying about
this - a total of more than 2,400 congregations, schools and hospitals each
of which could use a full-time minister.  That is at least three
institutions for each trained minister.

    And to further complicate matters, the PCEA grows at a rate of about
150 new congregations per year while we produced about 20-25 new ministers
in the same period.

    If my math skills are not completely gone it appears demand is greater
than supply. These are just a few of the tidbits I learned while driving
with the PCEA Secretary General and other PCEA officers to visit the
mission congregations in Tanzania.

    We drove a total of more than 4,000 km.(2,400 miles) over pot-holed,
gravel or just plain
nonexistent roads to reach some very remote rural locations and have one
completely broken shock absorber and severely crippled rear coil springs to
prove it.  I've never seen a car take such a lickin' and keep on tickin'.
My respect for the 4-wheel drive vehicle has skyrocketed.

    We visited eight congregations, one of them the smallest Presbyterian
church in all of East Africa (6 x 8 ft.) with a membership of about 30 and
I would venture to say it might even be the smallest church in the entire
world.  But what was inspiring was that, in spite of its tiny size, its
members were filled with pride and joy and looked forward to the day when
they would have enough saved to build a larger church in which to give
thanks and praise to God.

    That experience left me with great respect for the power the story of
Jesus has in giving people a reason to live.

    Smallest church, roughest roads ... and the most roasted meat I have
ever eaten.  East Africans, at least the ones I was traveling with, love
their roast meat.  Any kind.  Chicken, beef, goat and I dare not ask what
else.

    But sitting around a mound of food with folks who did nothing for 24
hours a day but talk about the way in which church will serve and grow and
reached new people gave me great admiration and love for these church
leaders.  These folks are committed servants and that is no tall tale.

    I've returned home safe and sound although a much different person. I
thank God for the privilege of seeing the church in action in this part of
the world and for the honor that comes with the recognition that we are
living smack dab in the middle of God's great realm.