From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Many Tennessee homes rebuilt after April tornado but work

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 25 Nov 1998 10:23:34

remains

Nov. 25, 1998	Contact: Linda Bloom (212)7870-3803*New York   {693}

NOTE:  From Disaster News Network, www.disasternews.net,  used with
permission.

By Michelle Tirado*

PICKETT COUNTY, Tenn. (UMNS) -- Seven months have passed since a fierce
funnel cloud split apart Lloyd and Joyce Keys' 80-year-old Byrdstown
home. "We lost everything ...everything but the clothes on our back,"
said Joyce Keys.

The Keys have lived in Pickett County for 30 years, and had bought  the
three-story house five years ago. "We had just put down new  carpeting
five months before the storm hit," she added.

The family will have the chance to start all over again in a new  home
built for them following the tornado. "We're just now getting  in," said
Joyce, "but we don't even have the carpet down. We had  some insurance
coverage and an SBA loan, but it didn't near cover all we lost. The
United Methodist Church has sent us a bed and a  washer and dryer, and
we've had some clothes donated."

The Keys are among 50 Pickett County families who have recently  moved
into replacement houses. In all, the April tornado destroyed  68 homes
in the Byrdstown area. Many of these families are living in  basements
while workers install electrical wiring, plumbing, and  sheet rock.  But
even after the interiors are finished, there will still be much that
needs to be done.

According to the Rev. Gerald Taylor, pastor at the Byrdstown United
Methodist Church, money remains the largest need. "We are $5,000  short
on building supply expenses," Taylor said. "And these families  also
need startup items, like bedding, furniture, cooking and eating
utensils, and kitchen appliances."

Other Pickett County-area residents are trying to help meet some of
those needs. On Saturday afternoon (Nov. 14) Sheila Lowhorn, a  teacher
and Chairwoman of Christians Assisting in Response (CARE),  delivered
bags of supplies to more than 50 families. The bags,  provided by the
local junior women's club, contained blankets,  kitchen towels, and
Tupperware.

Jeana Taylor, the pastor's wife, is coordinating a project that can
only be likened to a bridal shower. "The United Methodist Church's
women's clubs are currently furnishing gifts for the families," she
explained. "As the items are received, they (the families) will be
invited to the church to take what they need."

Beverly Beckwith, a volunteer coordinator calls herself "the mouth
between the mountains and the city." She has written letters and  made
phone calls to let outside communities know that Pickett County
families are moving into their new dwellings and what they will need.

The F3 tornado that touched down near Byrdstown, was one of a  violent
streak of twisters that struck Tennessee on April 16th.  Throughout the
state, the storm system claimed six lives, destroyed  200 homes, and
damaged 2,000 other structures. By April 20,  President Clinton had
declared six Tennessee counties major disaster  areas.

The tornado that struck the state's second poorest county, leveled  68
homes and damaged more than 100 other structures, including  churches,
schools, and barns.   According to Clay Hall, coordinator for disaster
response with the Tennessee United Methodist Conference, the county lost
10 percent of  its family housing units. Although the majority of the
owners of the  damaged homes have been approved for FEMA grants and
loans, recovery  efforts have been hampered by a shortage of skilled
labor and  construction equipment, he said.

In addition to money and home startup goods, flexible, local  volunteers
are in demand. Although officials are not encouraging  out-of-state
volunteers this winter, they will welcome them again in the spring.

One of the last out-of-state volunteer groups will arrive on Dec.  14.
An Auburn Wesley Foundation team of 25 students will spend  a week of
their holiday break to repair roofs and winterize homes in  the
Byrdstown area.

"The area was devastated," said Diane Thornton, Minister of Youth
Programs at a United Methodist Church in Casselberry, Fla.  She and a
group of college and high school students traveled to Byrdstown a  few
days after the storm hit.

"When we got there, people were still stunned. There were clothes in
trees and walls were found a half mile from their original  structures.
I remember one young man and his pregnant wife who had  lost their
vehicle and their home. Amazingly, the few items that had  survived were
five bibles." She and her crew of Florida youths  stayed in Pickett
County for three days to help people sift through  the rubble and to set
up a clothing bank.

Thornton and another youth group developed a relationship with
Byrdstown three years ago through a local mission project. "I  couldn't
believe what had happened to the people I had grown to  love," she said.

The Byrdstown United Methodist Church has been one of the focus  points
for the county's relief effort. Although disaster response  funding has
been challenging, more than 100 volunteers from nine  states helped
rebuild many of the homes. Taylor said that the  remaining displaced
families should be in their new homes early in  the new year.

Donald and Shelba Shaver are one of those 18 families who have not  yet
moved into a replacement homes. "Everything's slow-going. We  wanted to
get in by Christmas, but I don't think we'll make it,"  Shelba Shaver
said. She and her husband have been living in a small  Byrdstown
apartment since May. When their home is ready, they will  also need some
basic items.

"The church people have made a good, substantial effort in  Byrdstown,
but it's still a long-term commitment," explained  Beckwith. .

The Tennessee Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church has
already provided $80,000 for the  Pickett County relief effort. Other
assistance, both monetary and  volunteer, has come from Church World
Service, the American Red  Cross and Mennonite Disaster Service.
#  #  #
*Tirado is a writer for Disaster New Network.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at
http://www.umc.org/umns/