From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

News of Theological Institutions

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 18 Dec 1998 20:08:40

18-December-1998
98437

    News of Theological Institutions

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary (LPTS)
President John M. Mulder delivered a keynote address at a "Future of the
Kirk" conference held by the Church of Scotland in Glasgow, Sept. 7.  "Does
Presbyterianism Have a Future? An American Perspective on Signs of
Vitality" was the subject of Mulder's speech, which was based on a
seven-volume research project co-directed by Mulder, LPTS library director
Milton J Coalter and Union Theological Seminary of Virginia President Louis
B. Weeks, called "The Presbyterian Presence: The Twentieth-Century
Experience."

RICHMOND, Va. -Five members of the Union Theological Seminary &
Presbyterian School of Christian Education community attended the Eighth
Assembly of the World Council of Churches, Dec. 3-14, in Harare, Zimbabwe.
Attending are: Dawn DeVriers, professor of theology; Syngman Rhee, visiting
professor of evangelism and mission; and students, Gun Ho Lee of Seoul,
South Korea, and Candace Worth of Raleigh, N.C.  Union-PSCE Board of
Trustees member John Evans of Davidson, N.C., and his son, Alex Evans, a
Union-PSCE alumnus, were also present.

PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Theological Seminary is announcing two winter
continuing education courses that are geared around the family.
"Understanding Family: A New Perspective" will be offered by the Rev. Robin
Cumberland of Ashtabula, Ohio, a church pastor, and Anne Vogeding Read, a
faculty member of the Western Pennsylvania Family Center, from January
through May for $125.  Carl A. Jensen of the Western Pennsylvania Family
Center is offering "My Church, My Family and Myself" from January through
May for $125.  For additional information, contact the seminary at
412-362-5610.

AUSTIN, Texas - The Rev. Jerold D. Shetler has been named vice president
for insitutional advancement of the Austin Presbyterian Theological
Seminary, according to President Robert Shelton.  Shetler has served as a
pastor and as the chair of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)'s Committee on
Theological Education and chair of a General Assembly committee on budget
and finance.  "His distinguished career as a pastor, his longtime
involvement in theological education, his experience in fund raising and
his commitment in the church all commend him highly for this work.  We are
very excited about his coming to work with us at Austin Seminary as we plan
for and move toward the future," Sheldon said.  Shetler is currently pastor
of First Presbyterian Church in Greensboro, N.C.