From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples find themselves on frontlines of Mitch relief

From "Cathy Hinkle"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 01 Dec 1998 12:54:33

Date: December 1, 1998
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
Email: CMiller@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

98c-70

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- When two groups of Disciples began planning
trips to Central America, little did they know they would find
themselves on the frontlines of Hurricane Mitch relief. But in a time
of overwhelming need, both found ways to serve.

	For almost two years, members of the Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ) in the Upper Midwest had been planning a work/study trip to
El Salvador. At the same time a group of Disciples pastors was making
plans for a similar trip to El Salvador and Nicaragua. This trip was
organized by the Church Finance Council and the Division of Overseas
Ministries.

	Working with the region's global mission partners, Greg and Dawn
Nottingham, the Week of Compassion and the Division of Overseas
Ministries, the Upper Midwest team had identified a small Lutheran
congregation who needed a concrete floor poured for their new
building. Then, the weekend before the group was to leave, Hurricane
Mitch stalled over Central America, inundating the region. Now the
greater need in El Salvador was medical aid.

	Within the next two days, the 12 team members collected medical
supplies, vitamins and general purpose antibiotics. Luggage was
unpacked and rearranged to accommodate the needed supplies.
Fortunately one team member was a registered nurse; three were
emergency medical technicians. On Nov. 6 the team arrived in El
Salvador, ready for a new mission.

	With the assistance of Lutheran Bishop Medaredo Ernesto Gomez, the
group traveled to Usulutan in the eastern part of El Salvador. There
they stayed in a regional warehouse, sharing a single toilet and a
cold water shower.

	Here's how Upper Midwest Deputy Regional Minister Alan Mace
describes the team's work: "Each day began with a 45-minute ride to
the end of the road at Puerto Parada. There we boarded boats for an
hour-plus ride into the mangrove swamps to reach small communities
which were cut off by the flood waters. When the boat ride ended, we
walked in mud and then on the dikes around washed-out shrimp farms
some 20 minutes to the first village.

	"Half of the group stayed there and ran a small medical clinic. The
remainder of the group walked about 1.5 miles to the next community.
Much, if not most, of this walk was through water, some of which was
waist-deep. Again, a clinic was provided at this village as well. Our
group was the first relief to reach these villages.

	"We were received with open arms and gracious hospitality. We were
also overwhelmed by what we saw. The people had been living in
standing water for eight days when were arrived. They were dealing
with a very powerful foot fungus which literally eats at the feet.
Parasitic infections from bad water were very common as were a
variety of internal infections. In addition, we treated colds, open
sores and various wounds. All told, our group saw more than 450
persons. We stayed until we had exhausted all medications and
supplies. We were fortunate to have the appropriate materials
available to assist these persons in the face of the other calamities
in their lives."

	The second group was made up of 12 Disciples pastors. Their trip,
planned over a year ago as a cooperative venture of Week of
Compassion, Church Finance Council and the Division of Overseas
Ministries, was expected to offer participants an opportunity to
reflect on issues of stewardship and mission with partner churches in
El Salvador and Nicaragua. The group did have some of those
opportunities. But in Nicaragua, they worked with ecumenical partners
coordinating emergency relief efforts.

	While the team was in Nicaragua, Week of Compassion and One Great
Hour of Sharing sent $15,000 to our partner church to aid their
relief effort. The Division of Overseas Ministries also made
available $1,000 for the immediate purchase of food and supplies.

	The Revs. David Shirey and Verity Jones share this report of their
work: "On Nov. 5, we gathered with our Nicaraguan partners in the
small offices of the Mision Cristiana de Nicaragua and prepared our
offering: we bagged rice and corn meal, put candles in plastic and
placed packets of bleach into containers to purify water.

	"The next day we loaded our goods and ourselves into the back of
three pick-up trucks and headed for a small town north of Leon. It
took us seven hours to travel about 50 miles. We drove through river
beds where bridges had once stood, across washed-out roads, and
through fields destroyed by mud and rushing water. We dodged a number
of dead cattle and gave folks along the way rides into the next town.
We got stuck in the mud too many times to count.

	"But we made it, not quite as far as we had hoped, but to
Larreinaga, where one of our partner churches ministered. We unloaded
our gifts and gathered with the town folk to thank God for God's
generosity even in times of trial. We returned home exhausted and
dirty, but confident of God's presence and the hope that we share in
Christ Jesus."

	Participants in the Upper Midwest trip were all from Iowa: Joycelyn
Haage, First Christian Church, Keokuk; the Rev. Traverce Harrison,
First Christian Church, Burlington; Don and Martha  Johnson, First
Christian Church, Des Moines; the Rev. Phil Jorgenson, First
Christian Church, Clarinda; Deborah Krichau, Pleasantville Christian
Church, Pleasantville; and the Rev. Jerry and Gladys Sawyer, Ankeny
Christian Church, Ankeny.

	Other travelers: the Rev. Rebecca Strom, Pleasantville and Fairview
Christian Churches, Pleasantville; Virginia Stuary, First Christian
Church, Winterset; Harlan "Frosty" Van Voorst, Packwood Christian
Church, Packwood; and the Rev. Alan Mace, Christian Church in the
Upper Midwest, Des Moines.

	Travelers to Nicaragua included the Rev. David Avery, Community
Christian Church, Jefferson City Mo.; the Rev. Luis Ferrer, Board of
Church Extension, Indianapolis; Angela Herrmann, associate editor,
The Disciple, Indianapolis; the Rev. Verity Jones, Central Christian
Church, Terre Haute, Ind.; the Rev. Marvin Owens Jr., Williamsburg
Christian Church, Brooklyn, N.Y.;  the Rev. Kevin Russell, Sparta
Christian Church, Independence, Ky.; and the Rev. David Shirey, North
Christian Church, Columbus, Ind.

	Also: the Revs. Ed Taylor, Church Finance Council, Indianapolis;
David Vargas, Division of Overseas Ministries, Indianapolis; Sarah
Webb, chaplain, Bethany College, Bethany, W. Va.; Dan Webster,
Christian Church of Arlington Heights, Arlington Hts., Ill.; and
Rebecca Zelensky, First Christian Church, Gibson City, Ill.

-- end --

Disciples News Service releases
are available at http://www.disciples.org/dns/index.htm