From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Decade Festival Points Way Forward

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 02 Dec 1998 13:11:26

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

124NCC12/1/98FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
By Carol J. Fouke, NCC Communication Department, 212-
870-2227

Additional Stories on the Decade Festival:
 http://www.ncccusa.org (Link to News Service)
 http://www.wcc-coe.org (Link to Decade Festival)

AS DECADE OF THE CHURCHES IN SOLIDARITY WITH WOMEN
"ENDS," PARTICIPANTS POINT THE WAY FORWARD FOR
CONTINUING TO WORK
Letter to WCC's 8th Assembly Addresses Priorities,
Divisive Issues of Human Sexuality

 HARARE, Zimbabwe, Nov. 30 - Even as a four-day
festival here marked the end of the World Council of
Churches' Ecumenical Decade of the Churches in
Solidarity with Women 1988-98, delegates reached
consensus on a forward-looking challenge that builds on
the Decade's four major themes: economic justice,
women's participation in the church, racism and
violence against women.

 The 1,200 delegates from around the world,
including 125 from the United States, spoke clearly: We
are celebrating the end of the Decade but we can't
accept being dismissed.

 Participants in the Nov. 27-30 Decade Festival,
held on the campus of Harare's Belvedere Technical
Teachers' Training College, celebrated the Decade
program's broad reach into grassroots church
communities, increased participation of women in church
leadership and a heightened awareness in both church
and society of women's strengths and struggles.

 "The Decade opened things up for women around the
world," said Karen Hessel, Director of the Justice for
Women Program in the National Council of the Churches
of Christ in the U.S.A., New York City.  Reports from
75 "Living Letters" team visits to 330 churches, 68
national councils and some 650 women's groups during
the course of the Decade revealed that "much education
and advocacy happened," she said.

 Nevertheless, Festival participants acknowledged
that many churches ignored or resisted the program, a
framework within which churches could look at their
structures, teachings and practices with a commitment
to the full participation of women.

 As the Decade ends, "women have expressed a real
anxiety that the churches will heave a sigh of relief
that the women have stopped talking," commented Dr.
Aruna Gnanadason, Program Executive, WCC Women's
Program, Geneva, Switzerland, addressing the "Decade
Festival: Visions Beyond 1998."

 "In many places, there has been a reduction in
funding and staff for work supporting women," she said.
"The challenge is to ensure that the solidarity we seek
is sustained.  It is important that we ask the churches
to recommit themselves to the issues the Decade has
raised.
"We now have to emphasize that issues such as the
economic exclusion of millions of women and the demands
that somehow women have to keep themselves and their
families alive; violence against women that tears the
fabric of our families, our societies and even our
churches, or racism and xenophobia that keeps even us
as women divided, are in fact ecclesiological
challenges. What we need to emphasize here is that
these are all concerns that threaten the unity of the
churches - the very being of the church," Dr.
Gnanadason said.

 The delegates - mostly women but including a few
men - pressed for a clear framework for follow up, with
a "checkpoint" in four to five years.  The Ecumenical
Decade will be the theme of one of three main plenaries
during the WCC's Eighth Assembly, meeting Dec. 3-14 at
the University of Zimbabwe in Harare, and the challenge
adopted during the Decade Festival will be put to the
leaders of the 330-plus WCC member churches there.

 "I believe the document provides a strong stimulus
for action, thoughtful theology and a bold middle
ground where we don't agree," commented Dr. Kathleen
Hurty of New York City, a member of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America who heads Church Women
United.  "Let's commit ourselves as this part of the
church to work toward accountability on the significant
principles."

LETTER ADDRESSES VIOLENCE, INCLUDING VIOLENCE IN THE
CHURCH

 Festival participants' challenge, framed as a
letter to the WCC Assembly, implores the world's
churches to declare that violence against women is a
sin, urges them to commit resources to "restore (women)
to their rightful place in God's household," and urges
them to work to end economic injustice and racism.
"The world is not yet a safe space for us," said Thoko
Mphumlwana of South Africa, among presiders.

 The tightly packed document - six pages, single
spaced in its English version - presses more than a
dozen specific initiatives. Particularly strong wording
demands the elimination of all violence in various
forms, giving pointed attention to violence in the
church as "a heresy, an offense against God, humanity
and the earth."

 The Decade Festival on its second day had held
what is believed to have been a global "first" - a
special hearing, incorporated into a liturgy, on the
issue of violence against women in the church.  During
an emotion-filled morning, church women from five
nations offered harrowing personal testimonies of
violence and abuse.  The statements included stories of
rape, domestic beatings, sexual trafficking, abusive
employment practices and exclusion by church
institutions.

 But the hearing also featured four positive
testimonials on efforts to confront the issue, and four
statements of commitment to continue working on the
problem.  "My first commitment is to not cover up the
sickness of our church," said the Rev. Dr. Konrad
Raiser, WCC General Secretary.  "We must share these
stories and continue to break the silence of violence
against women."

 The Festival challenge letter responded with a
series of demands, including the exposing of all sexual
abuse, especially by those in positions of church
leadership; the creation of restorative justice
processes where both the victims of violence and the
perpetrators can experience, in the light of truth
telling, the power of effective repentance, forgiveness
and reconciliation; the critical examination of all use
of Bible and theology that seek to sanction the spirit
and presence of violence, and the denouncement of all
initiatives of war.

CONSENSUS TESTED AROUND ISSUES OF HUMAN SEXUALITY

 One paragraph in the six-page document was a test
of how to reach consensus when delegates are polarized
on a key point of content.  Getting careful attention
was a paragraph reflecting the difficulty on
discussions around human sexuality, a subject also
expected to simmer at the WCC Assembly.

 While the document put before the delegates at no
time included the words "homosexual," "gay" or
"lesbian," these clearly were at issue, as debate
centered on wording about "human sexuality in all of
its diversity."  One delegate, from Africa, asked that
the phrase "in all of its diversity" be struck,
another, from the Netherlands, spoke up for its
inclusion.

 An Orthodox woman asked that the document say,
"For some men and women in our midst, addressing this
issue is not legitimate."  She explained, "Our church
has taken a very serious stance on the topic and we
aren't in a position to change it here."  A delegate
from the Netherlands, identifying herself as a lesbian,
said, "My church has been discussing sexuality for 20
years and I can be open about my sexuality in my
church."

 At the Festival, most discussions around
homosexuality took place informally around tables or in
Issue Huts scattered across the college's lawn, and in
meetings arranged during the breaks and not on the
formal agenda.  (At one point Dr. Gnanadason offered
lesbian participants a personal apology, in particular
for not including attention in the hearing to violence
against gays and lesbians.)

 Regular "Listeners Reports" reflected some of that
conversation back to the plenaries, revealing a range
of strong feelings, from "It's probably our only chance
to discuss these issues" to "There shouldn't have been
any space given.  Some of us weren't prepared to
discuss this.  We weren't mandated by our churches to
talk about it."

 A member of Gays and Lesbians of Zimbabwe (GALZ)
spoke during debate on the document, saying, "I haven't
been in church for 10 years.  I have been discriminated
since people found out I was lesbian.  I am also
created in the image of God."

 The Rev. Bertice Wood, a United Church of Christ
pastor from Cleveland, Ohio, serving as moderator for
the debate on the letter, said, "People are here from
churches that have different stands on this issue.  The
test for us now is can we find a way to incorporate the
diversity of perspectives transparently in the
document?"

 This was in keeping with her original mandate to
the delegates to aim for a document that "reflects the
Festival and the spirit that is here. Don't ask, 'Is
this how I would have written it?' but rather 'Have I
and others been heard?'"

 The drafting committee came back from a tea break
with wording that was accepted by the delegates by
consensus.  In its final form, the paragraph simply
acknowledged the differences around issues of human
sexuality.  It read:

 "We recognize that there are a number of ethical
and theological issues such as abortion, divorce, human
sexuality in all of its diversity, that have
implications for participation, and are difficult to
address in the church community.  During the decade we
acknowledge that human sexuality in all of its
diversity has emerged with particular significance.  We
condemn the violence perpetrated due to differences on
this matter.  We wrestled with this issue aware of the
anguish we all endure because of the potential to
create further divisions.  We acknowledge that there is
divided opinion as women and men on this particular
issue.  In fact, for some women and men in our midst,
the issue has no legitimacy.  We seek the wisdom and
the guidance of the Holy Spirit that we may continue
the conversation in order that justice may prevail."

DISCUSSIONS, LETTER EMPHASIZE INTERRELATEDNESS OF
ISSUES

 The Decade Festival was far from dominated by
issues of human sexuality.  Rather, the
interrelatedness of a wide range of issues was
stressed.

 This was illustrated during debate on the
challenge letter, during which delegates asked
strengthening of language on racism, environmental
justice, war and the arms trade, and attention to
fundamental needs such as those for literacy, clean
water, sewage systems, vocational training for income
generating, and health care.

 These and other amendments grew out of the
specific contexts of delegates: concern about the
particular impact of religious fundamentalism and
discriminatory law on women, the need to recognize
indigenous women's identity and culture, the evil of
sex tourism.

 During the Festival, participants also joined in
worship and Bible study, heard from young women and
from African women, celebrated Africa's strengths and
explored its problems, and encountered each other and a
wide spectrum of concerns in the Issues Huts, where
they also shared information and resources on racism,
ecology, theology, peace, uprooted women, violence
against women, health, the global economy and other
issues.

 The Rev. Dr. Musimbi Kanyoro, preaching at the
Festival's opening worship, challenged participants to
"engage in actions that move us from solidarity to
accountability" and to learn from Africans "a
spirituality of not giving up," of facing poverty,
disease and disaster with "living hope."  Africa "knows
death, but we are not a dying continent.  We refuse to
give up on God, ourselves or the church.  We celebrate
jubilee every day.

 "Sometimes during this Decade the church didn't
stand in solidarity with us," she said.  "But this
Decade has made us stronger and gave us courage.  We
are stronger together."

-end-
 -0-