From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCUSA Asks President Clinton to Forgive Central

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 02 Dec 1998 13:13:25

American Debt

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227

126NCC12/1/98  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC LEADERS ASK PRESIDENT CLINTON TO FORGIVE DEBT AND TO
PROTECT CENTRAL AMERICAN NATIONALS IN WAKE OF HURRICANE
MITCH

 NEW YORK, Dec. 1 ---- In a letter signed by the
General Secretary and 13 other representatives from the
National Council of Churches' (NCC's) 35 member
communions, church leaders ask President Clinton to
cancel debt owed by Latin American countries affected by
Hurricane Mitch and to give "temporary protected status"
to nationals from those countries.

 The Nov. 24 letter commends the Clinton
Administration for its continuing response and assistance
to the region in the wake of devastating Hurricane Mitch,
but urges "additional measures which we feel are
essential to relieve the great burden which these
countries face as they seek to rebuild."  The Rev. Dr.
Joan Brown Campbell, NCC General Secretary, signed the
letter along with leaders from 13 Protestant and Orthodox
communions.

 The church leaders encourage President Clinton to
enact measures including to "follow the example announced
by France . . . and write off all of the aid and
development debt owed by Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador
and Guatemala."

 Besides granting the cancellation of debts, the
Clinton Administration is also asked "to grant an
eighteen month `temporary protected status' for Central
American nationals from El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras
and Nicaragua currently in the United States."  The
letter explains, "This status was created precisely to
respond to crises like the one Central America is now
facing, where countries are temporarily unable to handle
the return of its nationals."

 The full text of the letter, including the 14
signatories, follows.

-end-

November 24, 1998

President William J. Clinton
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC  20500

Dear Mr. President:

As representatives of the 35 member communions of the
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.,
we write to commend your administration for its
continuing response to the devastation facing Central
America in the wake of Hurricane Mitch.  The additional
assistance which first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton
announced in Tegulcigalpa is a welcome supplement to the
assistance which we know has already been sent to this
region.  We write today to urge additional measures which
we feel are essential to relieve the great burden which
these countries face as they seek to rebuild.

We are gratified that the United States has joined other
nations in acknowledging the burden of the foreign debt
owed by these countries.  The NCCC just unanimously
passed the enclosed resolution regarding debt
cancellation at its annual General Assembly last week.
Your decision to grant a two-year moratorium on bilateral
debt payments for Nicaragua and Honduras, while seeking
to encourage the same of multilateral lending
institutions, is a welcome first-step.  We now urge that
you move to follow the example announced by France -- who
has also extended to Guatemala and El Salvador this
relief -- and write off all of the aid and development
debt owed by Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador and
Guatemala.  It is predicted that it will take years for
these countries to restore their destroyed economies.
Diverting funds to debt payments from the critical tasks
of restoring infrastructures and rebuilding schools and
clinics will only serve to magnify and extend the human
cost inflicted by this disaster.  To ask that these
countries maintain their structural adjustment policies
and continue to repay their debt while trying to recover
from such devastation is to pour salt into the wounds of
these nations.

Besides granting a cancellation of debts owed by these
nations, we also ask that your Administration act
immediately to grant an eighteen month "temporary
protected status" for Central American nationals from El
Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua currently in
the United States.  This status was created precisely to
respond to crises like the one Central America is now
facing, where countries are temporarily unable to handle
the return of its nationals.  There are already countless
numbers of homeless in these countries, and many of them
have lost their means of employment as well.  Allowing
these nationals a temporary extension of their stay in
the United States will protect them from a similar fate
while helping to alleviate the suffering in the region.

Again, we commend the steps which you have taken already
and the concern which you have shown in the wake of this
disaster.  We thank you for the consideration of our
concerns regarding the specific issues of the debt burden
and temporary protected status.

Sincerely,

Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell
General Secretary