From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Faiths Prod Government For Stronger Role in Peace Process

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 03 Dec 1998 20:05:55

98399

    Religious Leaders Prod Government For
    Strong Role in Peace Process

    by Alexa Smith

WASHINGTON - With a fragile agreement in place and potentially volatile
talks yet to come, national Jewish, Christian and Muslim religious leaders
convened here to show support for peace between Israelis and Palestinians
and for continued U.S. involvement in peace negotiations.

    Though there's little clarity - and even downright disagreement - among
members of the U.S. Interreligious Committee for Peace in the Middle East
about what peace ought to look like, there's real commitment to demonstrate
that a carefully negotiated peace is what the majority of Middle Easterners
and their U.S. constituencies want - not unilateral pressure or extremist
actions.

    Just to make the point, leaders from the American Muslim Council, the
National Council of Churches, the Union of American Hebrew Congregations,
the Center for Jewish-Christian Understanding, the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) and others gathered Nov. 22 at the Foundry United Methodist
Church, the congregation where President Clinton and his family worship
when they are in Washington.

    "This administration - and other administrations before it - has been
committed to helping the peace process proceed," said Ronald J. Young, the
committee's executive director, citing vocal lobbies ranging from Christian
fundamentalists to the well-established American Pro-Israel Political
Action Committee voicing sole support for Israel.  "But there are pressures
on the administration, pressures [from] the Congress that are almost
overwhelming ...

    "And almost all the pressure is, essentially, to adopt the position of
the Israeli government and get the Palestinians to accept it," said Young.

    Use of such  pressure is not how his committee wants to see the
negotiations run.  Begun in 1987 to bring Jews, Christians and Muslims
together for dialogue, education and peace advocacy, the organization
defines itself as working to build bridges between faiths that share the
Abrahamic tradition and to work for peace as a moral imperative.

    "We've got no real political clout.  We've got a voice, a significant
voice," said Albert Vorspan, a vice president emeritus of the Union of
American Hebrew Congregations who is one of the committee's three national
interfaith co-chairs.  "We've got a voice that says the U.S. has to play a
leadership role in the peace process, no matter where we may come out
individually on the issues ... and we come to understand each other.

    "This is the only platform I've heard of where people of all religious
faiths come together to share one commitment to peace in the Middle East.
We never reach across bridges to the other groups."

    How hard that is was exemplified by the committee's program where two
speakers - one a retired Israeli military officer, the other a female
Palestinian politician and activist - articulated widespread support for
peace within their constituencies in a painful 40-year sovereignty battle.
But on the sticky questions - such as control of Israeli settlements deep
in Palestinian territory and on how to stop terrorism - common ground was
harder to find, let alone, develop.

    Startling some in attendance were remarks by Shlomo Lahat, mayor of Tel
Aviv and president of the Council for Peace and Security, an organization
with 80 percent of Israel's senior retired military officers as its
membership. He proposed that peace, which is necessary for Israel's
security, includes: giving the Palestinian state its 1967 borders and, in
the Israeli-Syrian negotiations, withdrawing from the Golan Heights.  Peace
he said, also includes a commitment from Israel, not to interfere in the
return of refugees to the new state - ideas that go beyond what the
Netanyahu government is offering.  Lahat insisted that the Palestinian
government minimize terrorism, that settlements, exempting isolated ones,
remain within Israeli hands, and that Jerusalem be the capital of the state
of Israel, with guarantees of religious freedom for people of all faiths -
freedoms that, Lahat said, exist now for the three faiths.

    Stepping up next to the podium, former Palestinian National Authority
minister Hanan Ashrawi countered a Jerusalem that includes two different
capitals for two seperate states in one city is a possibility and not "a
pipedream."

    "We must find a solution to do justice to Jerusalem ... and not reduce
it to a spiritual place where people worship," she said, arguing that the
city - despite Israeli rhetoric -  is not open to people of all religions
because of permits often denied to Palestinians and military checkpoints.
"It must be a place where people can live."

    Ashrawi articulated what she called a "sense of outrage" that is
"destroying the peace process" when the international community - most
particularly, the U.S. - overlooks how Israel not only annexed the
historically Arab section of  Jerusalem, but continues to build settlements
on Palestinian land.  She said violating human rights to curtail terrorists
will not end terrorism, but further the injustices and abuses experienced
now by Palestinians and erode trust in the new Palestinian government.

    Likewise, the two leaders spoke differently about the U.S. role in
future negotiations. Lahat said the U.S. can take several roles in the
coming negotiations - from aiding the Palestinian state in development and
interfering when agreements are violated, Ashrawi was more circumspect.
"So far, the perception is that the U.S. has taken sides," she said, urging
that what has become a dangerously slow peace process should include
Europeans and Arabs.

    "The need for an active, determined U.S. role in the coming months is
absolutely clear," said Young. He added that whatever differences were
articulated by the speakers, neither disagreed that a "morally logical,
politically realistic" peace is wanted by majorities on both sides of the
political divide.  "And, we cannot assume that the U.S. will play a role
unless we demonstrate - as unitedly as we can - that's what we want the
administration to do.

    "Nor are we cheerleaders for one side or the other.  We are Americans,"
he said. "Our role is to push and support the administration to play an
active [role] in helping the parties negotiate solutions ... that remain
acceptable to majorities on both sides."

     Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Interfaith Coordinator Peggy Thomas
agreed, adding that the denomination needs to be listening to a wider
circle of voices in the coming months, some of whom are nuancing their once
hard positions and are broaching subjects that were once taboo.  "For a
long time, the General Assembly has spoken about this issue ... and we've
tended to see [it] through the eyes of our partners, the Christians with
whom we relate.

    "But ultimately," said Thomas, "if we're interested in peace, we have
to stop listening to only one side and start listening to a multitude of
voices ... so we hear the aspirations of various people, all of whom need
to get enough out of this to determine if something is going to be liveable
for them."

    The errors and abuses of all three faiths were singled out during
remarks by Atif Harden, executive director of the Washington-based American
Muslim Council, who asked each community to look at its own record during
the centuries each took control of Jerusalem.  "Just as individuals are
judged for how we live our lives, I also believe communities are judged ...
and one of the tests is: did we treat one another with justice?," he asked,
using Jewish, Muslim and Christian history to raise questions about the
future in what he called "holy land."

    "Whose reign," he pushed, "was most just, most righteous ... and who
kept the land and the city of Jerusalem a city of peace?"

     Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Moderator the Rev. Doug Oldenburg told
that gathering that the role of religious leaders is to "keep hope alive"
in the midst of a process that tempts North Americans - well-insulated from
the problems -  to be discouraged or worse, apathetic.  "We've seen history
open with unexpected surprises," he said, citing as the foremost example
the collapse of the Berlin Wall.  "And we must keep hoping and praying that
the God we worship will bring about reconciliation. Our job is to keep hope
alive."

    National Council of Churches President the Rev. Joan Brown Campbell,
another of the Interreligious Committee's national co-chairs, said
peacemakers in interfaith circles have been "slogging it out for years and
years" on Middle East peace issues.  She told the Presbyterian News Service
that mainstream Protestants have a strategic role to play in pushing the
administration to stick with peace negotiations, because the Jewish
community is so small.  "Without [our] voices," she said, "the government
will not put as much energy into the peace process."

    That energy has been Young's point - since he founded the committee 11
years ago.  "We've got to hear each others' points of view.  We've got to
adopt positions of advocacy that are sensitive to each others' concerns ...
[and the government has] to help the parties work toward a solution, the
outlines [of] which are beginning to emerge."