From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

African bishop appeals for message of hope for continent

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 08 Dec 1998 12:12:37

Dec. 8, 1998	Contact: Tim Tanton·(615)742-5470·Nashville, Tenn.
{719}

NOTE: Photo available

By Tim Tanton*

HARARE, Zimbabwe (UMNS) -- The people of Africa are "thirsty for hope"
on a continent torn by war, AIDS and other problems, a leading Sudanese
cleric told participants at the World Council of Churches' (WCC) Eighth
Assembly.

"Our people need to hear the message that God loves them and there is
hope," said Bishop Paride Taban of Toriti, Sudan. "Our people are hungry
and thirsty for hope. Let us not disappoint them."

Taban gave the sermon at a Dec. 5 worship service, a celebration with
Zimbabwe churches held at Rufaro Stadium. Participants at the WCC
gathering were taken by bus to the stadium from the University of
Zimbabwe. The Roman Catholic bishop preached on the theme of the Dec.
3-14 assembly, "Turn to God - Rejoice in Hope," with emphasis on the
plight of Africa.

The Roman Catholic Church is not a member of the WCC, but it works with
the ecumenical movement on many areas.

Today, Africa is full of problems. Almost all of its nations are dealing
with poverty, mismanagement of resources, political instability and
social disorientation, he said. "In a world controlled by rich and
powerful nations, Africa has particularly become an irrelevant
appendage, often forgotten and neglected."

The United Methodist Church has long been active in Africa. The
denomination's Board of Global Ministries, for example, is trying to
address many of the continent's problems, including AIDS, landmine
removal, and the need for agricultural assistance.

The board is holding a conference on AIDS at Africa University in Old
Mutare, Zimbabwe, following the WCC assembly, according to the Rev.
Randolph Nugent, general secretary of the New York-based agency and a
delegate to the council meeting.

This will be the board's second such consultation on AIDS in Africa and
it plans to schedule more, country by country. Nugent said structures
must be set up for both the church and university to provide education
and care. "We are hoping to work more on prevention, particularly with
the younger population," he added.

Landmines are a legacy of the many civil wars that have been waged on
the continent, and the board is seeking people who have military
experience in Africa or the United State who could provide expertise on
the removal of the explosives. The agency also is interested in new
technology for landmine removal. Clearing the minefields would allow the
land to be used for farming, which is the focus of another major church
initiative.

Through its Millenium Fund, the board has earmarked "significant
resources" for providing food and medicine to Africa between now and
next spring, Nugent said. "We're really committed to this. It has to
happen."

One of three new missionary programs also will make it possible for any
annual conference to send 10 missionaries to any area where churches
have requested help, he said.

Other church agencies and annual conferences also are at work in Africa,
and the Council of Bishops is pushing its "Hope for the Children of
Africa Appeal."

The United Methodist Church's East African Annual Conference is trying
to respond to needs  in Taban's country, Sudan.

There, Taban said, the people are struggling with hunger and poverty,
and are trying to get the normalcy "that you and I take for granted."
Meanwhile, military planes from the capital city of Khartoum come nearly
daily to drop bombs on the people, he said, referring to the Christians
and animists in the southern part of the predominantly Muslim country.

The people of south Sudan want a no-fly zone similar to what the United
Nations imposed in Iraq to protect the Kurds, he said.

 "We are gathered here as representatives" of Africa's suffering people,
he said in his sermon. "We need ecumenical dialogue and harmony to
realistically cope with the reality of now. We need a unity that comes
from our openness with one another."

Closing his remarks a few minutes later, Taban said: "Above all, we all
need to be agents of God's hope."

# # #

*Tanton is news editor of United Methodist News Service.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at
http://www.umc.org/umns/