From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Sudanese Bishop Seeks WCC Support for Peace in His War-torn Nation

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 09 Dec 1998 20:08:41

    Sudanese Bishop Seeks WCC Support for Peace in His War-torn Nation

    by Jerry Van Marter
    Ecumenical News International

Harare, Zimbabwe--A Roman Catholic bishop from Sudan today asked the World
Council of Churches to support foreign intervention in his war-ravaged
country similar to international efforts mounted in Kosovo and Iraq.

Speaking at a "Celebration with Zimbabwean Churches" at Harare's huge
Rufaro Stadium, Bishop Paride Taban of Sudan said: "My people, who have no
voice, asked me to come here and give voice to their cries.  The suffering
people of Sudan ask: 'Are we not worth as much protection from the bombers
in Khartoum [Sudan's capital] as the Kurds are from the bombers in Baghdad?
Are we not worth as much protection from those who would kill us as the
people of Kosovo'?"

Bishop Taban was preaching to a festive crowd of nearly 10 000 people,
comprised of participants at the WCC's eighth assembly, which opened in
Harare on 3 December, and local Zimbabwean Christians. He compared the
situation in his country, which has been at civil war - between the Islamic
north of the country and the Christian and animist south - for more than 40
years, to Ezekiel's story of the valley of dry bones.  "In that day the
people turned to God and he made them live," Bishop Taban said.  "Today our
question is: can these African bones live?"

He said that the problems of Africa - war, international debt, the
oppression of women, internationalization, Aids - were "greater than any of
us can comprehend. We need ecumenical harmony and unity to be able to meet
them." Africa was one place where the church and ecumenical movement could
make a difference, Bishop Taban insisted, "because if the statistics are to
be believed, our continent is now the heartland of Christianity".

The service, which gave Harare's Christians a chance to participate in
assembly events and was led by local clergy,  was conducted from a
makeshift stage on the field of the stadium. Zimbabwean Christian singers,
dancers and musicians provided a vivid splash of color to the stadium.  WCC
officials were led to the stage by a procession of young children carrying
a simple wooden cross.

The service began with two women crossing the stage on their knees - a
traditional sign of humility - to offer a drink of water to the WCC's
general secretary, Dr Konrad Raiser, and the moderator of the WCC's central
committee, Catholicos Aram I of the Armenian Apostolic Church.  "In Africa,
whenever you are traveling, when you arrive you are given water to drink,"
explained Jonathan Siyachitema, the "host" pastor and worship leader.
Lively African hymns led the assembled congregation through the service to
a benediction given in English and the two prominent indigenous languages
of Zimbabwe - Shona and Ndebele - and an animated "liturgical dance" by
scores of Zimbabwean Christians in a variety of indigenous dress.