From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Discuss the Future of Worship

From Brenda Williams <BRENDAW@elca.org>
Date 10 Dec 1998 18:27:38

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

December 10, 1998

LUTHERANS DISCUSS THE FUTURE OF WORSHIP
98-43-244-MR

     ORLANDO, Fla. (ELCA) -- "Worship is like a gas station where people
get spiritually tanked up for the week," said Marty Haugen, a liturgical
composer from Eagan, Minn.  "Liturgy is about invitation and conversion."
     Haugen spoke to more than 450 musicians, pastors, seminary professors
and worship leaders of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) at
"The Future of Worship: Exploring the Critical Issues" held here Nov. 18-20.
The conference preceded "Alive in Christ: Equipping Congregations for
Effective Ministry in the 21st Century" Nov. 20-22.  Both events were
organized by the ELCA's Division for Congregational Ministries.
     Haugen discussed the role music plays in a worship celebration.  "All
people of God need to hear music.  What do we sing?  We sing the lectionary
to celebrate the stories we are called to remember.  We also sing our
rites.  Ritual music gives the congregation the ability to say, 'Amen,'"
said Haugen.  "Lutherans need to remember that to sing a hymn is a ritual
act."
      "Why do we sing?  We sing to remember.  The music leader serves to
remind people who and whose they are.  We sing to express things too deep
for words.  We sing because it connects our experience with other
Christians from all over the world.  Lutherans understand the rhythm of
worship," he said.
     Haugen added, "We need music that is theologically inspiring.  Music
is also about presentation and architecture.  Lutherans must continue to
grow, mentor and train those who will eventually lead the community."
     The conference featured five plenary discussions.  "The intent of the
conference was to identify the critical issues facing ELCA worship and
music resource production and develop goals for the next generation of
work," said the Rev. Michael R.
Rothaar, ELCA director for congregational studies and planning.
     "What most of our people are engaged in is the hard and unglamourous
work of being faithful.  At the same time they are crafting worship that
can communicate the gospel to the North American people in all of their
cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic and generational diversity," said the Rev.
Karen Ward, ELCA assistant director for worship.
     "Almost 50 percent of the population of North America does not relate
to the church and its worship.  This provides us with a tremendous
opportunity to reach out to the diverse people of this continent with the
life-giving gospel of Jesus Christ," she said.
     Ward is a member of the Lutheran World Federation's Worship and
Culture Study Team.  The Lutheran World Federation is a communion of 124
member churches in 69 countries representing more than 57 million of the
world's 61 million Lutherans.
     "The Federation study has outlined four major categories or
diagnostic lenses through which we can look at worship in relationship to
culture.  The categories are the transcultural, the contextual, the
countercultural and the cross-cultural," said Ward.
     "The transcultural components of our worship form the common ground
that transcends the cultural realities of individual congregations and form
the basis of the culture of the gospel under which all Christians stand.
     "With a deep understanding of the values, patterns and institutions
of a given culture one can then begin to contextualize the transcultural
pattern of worship.
     "Of the four lenses through which we look at our worship, the lens of
counterculturality often requires specific attention, especially within
North America," said Ward.
     "The North America 'umbrella culture' characterized by individualism,
market- driven consumerism and the preoccupation with entertainment, is
being exported throughout the world.  Because of the mass marketing of our
culture throughout the globe, North Americans are susceptible to believing
that our cultural 'umbrella' is beyond critique.  Some of the values,
patterns and institutions of any human culture are contrary to the values,
patterns and institutions of the gospel and its expression in worship.
     "True cross-cultural sharing is motivated by the desire to know and
love Christian brothers and sisters from other cultures.  We share in each
other's cultures in worship as a means of embracing the people of that
culture and of gaining new insights into the gospel," said Ward.
     The Rev. Susan R. Briehl, executive director for Holden Village, a
Lutheran center for renewal in the North Cascade Mountains of Washington
state, led a discussion on language used in Lutheran liturgy.
     "Words fail us.  They are fragile and finite.  But words are the
tools we have," she said.  "Sometimes we want to say so much that we do not
take time for conjunctions and commas, or time to breathe."
     "Our liturgy is not a museum artifact.  Our words are not to be
dusted and presented.  We are inheritors of a living liturgy.  In the best
of times words have nourished and blessed people.  In the worst of times,
words have oppressed.  During these times we need to be, like God,
extravagant.  Let our language reflect God's future," said Briehl.
     "Overall, people who worship in our congregations feel that they have
been lifted out of their everyday world and encountered that which is
holy," said Rothaar.  Rothaar led a discussion on "changes and priorities
in 420 exemplary congregations of the ELCA."
     "The 420 congregations were selected by ELCA bishops, worship leaders
and staff from the ELCA's 65 synods when asked, 'Where would you send
someone who wanted to experience the best in Lutheran worship?'  These
congregations have strong local reputations in their communities," said
Rothaar.
     "Forty-six percent of the congregations selected added music staff in
order to expand the music program in worship," said Rothaar.  "Forty-six
percent reduced the age at which children may first receive Holy Communion,
and 41 percent increased the frequency with which Holy Communion is
celebrated."
     The conference also featured work group sessions designed for
participants to review production models for ELCA worship resources.
     The Rev. Paul R. Nelson, ELCA director for worship, and the Rev.
Frank W. Stoldt, editorial director for worship and educational materials
for Augsburg Fortress, the publishing house of the ELCA, offered models of
"processes which church bodies have used or are using to produce materials
for worship."  Participants evaluated each of the models in their work
group sessions.

For information contact:
Frank Imhoff, Assoc. Director 1-773-380-2955 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html