From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Freda Gardner Is Endorsed as Candidate for Moderator

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 10 Dec 1998 21:17:25

98413

    Freda Gardner Is Endorsed as Candidate for Moderator

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A retired Princeton Theological Seminary professor of
Christian education is now the first woman in a field of three men to stand
for election as moderator of the 211th General Assembly next June in Fort
Worth, Texas.

    Elder Freda A. Gardner was overwhelmingly endorsed as a candidate for
moderator by the Presbytery of New Brunswick Dec. 8.

    "Freda has a long history in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and is
widely recognized for her service as an elder [not a clergyperson] on the
Christian education faculty at Princeton Seminary," said the Rev. Vernon B.
Van Bruggen, the executive presbyter in New Brunswick Presbytery said after
the vote, which set aside the previous month's election of another
elder-commissioner to the Texas Assembly.  "And she is making herself
available to the larger church for service if that is the will of the
church."

    Gardner recently completed two terms as a member of the General
Assembly Council and is ending more than a decade of service as a  member
of the Board of Trustees of Union Theological Seminary and the Presbyterian
School of Christian Education.  She is affiliated with the Religious
Education Association, the Association of Presbyterian Church Educators,
the Presbyterian Peace Fellowship, the Fellowship of Reconciliation and the
National Organization for Women.  She is currently the clerk of session  of
the Nassau Presbyterian Church in Princeton, N.J., and co-chair of the
church's Adult Education Committee.

    She is the Thomas W. Synnott Professor of Christian Education, Emerita,
and Director of the School of Christian Education, Emerita.

    "We're at a crossroads," Gardner told the Presbyterian News Service,
describing life within the denomination.  "But it is a time of hope and
promise.  And I think I have - all the way through my life in the church
and in my professional life - dealt with people of diverse opinions and
positions.  I think the only way forward for us as a church is to keep
learning and keep growing.

    "I think that," she said, "is what God expects of us."

    Gardner said others asked her to consider seeking the office.  "It came
to me as a call should ... to at least stand for election," she said.  "I
respect the three men running, but I feel we're different in terms of
experience, background and life in the church ... enough different to make
me an alternative candidate.

    "And I approach that with excitement and a little trepidation."