From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Leader Calls For WCC to Condemn Mugabe's Ban on Strikes

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 10 Dec 1998 21:17:31

    Trade Union Leader Calls For WCC to Condemn Mugabe's Ban on Strikes

    by Stephen Brown
    Ecumenical News International

HARARE, Zimbabwe--The leader of the Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions
(ZCTU), Morgan Tsvangirai, has called on the World Council of Churches,
whose eighth assembly is meeting in Zimbabwe's capital, Harare, to issue a
strong condemnation of a ban on strikes in Zimbabwe.

    Last month Zimbabwe's president, Dr. Robert Mugabe, declared a
six-month ban on strikes, prohibiting "the inciting of, or taking part in,
collective industrial action meant to put pressure on the government to
change laws." The government has said it will introduce a permanent ban on
strikes next year.

    Tsvangirai, the ZCTU's secretary general, told ENI today that he was
hoping that the WCC "will take a very strong resolution and make it clear
to government that this is unacceptable."

    The ban follows growing industrial action by unions and other
organizations as unrest grows over the nation's troubled economy. Inflation
and massive price rises are making it very difficult for many Zimbabweans
to survive. The most recent one-day "stay-aways," on 11 and 18 November,
brought the country to a virtual stand-still.

    However, asked at a press conference today whether the WCC assembly
would rebuke Zimbabwe for its ban on strikes, Dr. Janice Love, the
moderator of the WCC's Commission of the Churches on International Affairs,
said that the WCC had a "long-standing policy" of not criticising the
governments of countries in which WCC meetings were taking place.

    Tsvangirai was speaking to ENI after addressing a meeting on
international debt, organized by the Jubilee 2000 coalition, at the WCC's
assembly, which is taking place on the campus of the University of
Zimbabwe.

    During his speech,  Tsvangirai criticized, without specifying any
particular country,  "ruling elites who have found a way of borrowing
[international loans] on behalf of the people, and then secreting the funds
outside the country." At the time of the struggle against colonial rule
there had been a "unified programed," but since liberation "a certain group
of people assumed responsibility for us and made us accountable to them
instead of them being accountable to us," he said.

    Under the presidential decree banning strikes, trade unions which
recommend, encourage or incite people to engage in unlawful collective
action will have their registration suspended. Employers who encourage
staff to join illegal action can be fined or gaoled for up to three years
or both.

    Zimbabwe's trade unions were now "facing very serious constraints in
terms of their liberty to operate," Tsvangirai said. The presidential ban
on strikes "literally incapacitates our ability to organize," he added.

    "The whole world church movement is here and we cannot be seen to be
operating the other way round [when] people's rights are trampled upon and
people's freedoms are not observed," he said. "I think that the churches
throughout the world must campaign for human rights 50 years after the
United Nations Declaration of Human Rights, and I think it is important
that these conditions also apply here," he said. Today, 10 December, marks
the 50th anniversary of the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights. To mark the anniversary the WCC assembly issued a declaration
supporting "the indivisibility of human rights, including social, economic
and cultural, civil and political rights, and the rights to peace, to
development and the integrity of creation."

    The ZCTU has not called any stay-aways since 18 November, saying it
wants to give tripartite talks between government, employers and trade
unions a chance to succeed. But a tripartite meeting yesterday 9 December
ended without agreement, after a key government minister, Finance Minister
Herbert Murerwa, failed to turn up.

    "It's a disappointment, but we're used to so many disappointments. But
we're hopeful that this process can be taken further and these issues can
be resolved without necessarily anarchy and chaos," Tsvangirai told ENI,
but refused to rule out further strikes.

    "Obviously we cannot put all our eggs in one basket, in the negotiating
option. We will have to make sure that we also have the rights to take
appropriate action."

    According to a local political analyst, Lupi Mushayakarara, the ZCTU is
the only national organisation in Zimbabwe apart from President Mugabe's
ruling ZANU (PF) "with a membership and a leadership."

    "It is not surprising people look to the ZCTU to become a political
party," she said.