From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Staff Travel to Indonesia

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 11 Dec 1998 09:41:30

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227

129NCC12/10/98         FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC STAFF MEMBERS WITNESS RELIEF AND RECONSTRUCTION
IN MIDST OF INDONESIA'S TURMOIL

 NEW YORK, Dec. 10 ---- Economic and political turmoil
in Indonesia has created and exacerbated interreligious
tensions there, reported two staff members from the National
Council of Churches who spent two weeks in Indonesia
recently visiting the new $2.5 million food program
implemented by the NCC and funded by the United States
Agency for International Development (USAID).

"We visited to show appreciation to the staff  and our
partner, the Communion of Churches in Indonesia (CCI), who
have gotten our comprehensive food-for-work program off the
ground," said the Rev. Dr. Rodney Page, Executive Director
of Church World Service (CWS), the NCC's human development,
refugee assistance and disaster relief ministry.  "We also
went to show solidarity with the churches and the people of
Indonesia during this time of deep crisis in the life of
their nation."

 "As a memorable line in a play says, `Everything nailed
down is coming loose.'  That is what is happening in
Indonesia right now," said the Rev. Larry Tankersley, NCC
Southern Asia Director, who spent November 14-25 in
Indonesia with Dr. Page.  "There are student demonstrations
every day, including while we were there.  Last week 14 more
students were killed.  About 1,500 people have been killed
in the recent violence."

 "Economically, people have suffered a dramatic decline
in their buying power and 80 percent of businesses in
Indonesia are technically bankrupt," Rev. Tankersley also
said.  "What's more, 20 million people are unemployed.  On
top of the social problems, there have been forest fires and
El-Ni¤o related drought.  All of this has led to a World
Food Programme estimate that 40 percent of the population
will be unable to meet their basic nutritional requirements
in the coming year."

 "Most disturbing to us in the religious community is
that the religious world in Indonesia seems to be coming
apart, as well," Rev. Tankersley added.  "There has been a
history of religious tolerance in the region, but over the
last several months, Dayak Christians have killed Madarese
Muslims in Kalimantan and Javanese Muslims have killed
Ambonese Christians in Jakarta.  There have been burnings of
churches and mosques.  Just last week, a church was burned a
few blocks from our office in Ujungpandang.  The military
had placed a guard on churches in several cities."

 "People we met expressed concern about this increasing
tension between Muslims and Christians," Dr. Page said.
"Because of the economic crisis, scapegoats are sought and
interreligious tensions are exacerbated."

 Yet in the midst of crisis, the food-for-work program
delivers much-needed rice and results in work projects which
help to rebuild the infrastructure and increase food
security.

CWS works with CCI to supply 45 percent of the caloric
needs for 37,000 people in Sulawesi, one of Indonesia's five
largest islands which has been particularly hard hit.  The
12-month emergency food program will increase food supplies
until the next harvest and ensure that children under 5 and
lactating mothers do not become malnourished.

In exchange, recipients repair roads and bridges, build
water conservation systems and plant trees.  One-third of
the beneficiary families will receive seeds and tools.

 While there, Dr. Page and Rev. Tankersley witnessed the
delivery of rice.  Ten tons of rice per day is being
distributed in Sulawesi.  They also visited a rice paddy
irrigation project near Ujungpandang where Dr. Page helped
to dig a ditch.

 "This food is given without regard to religious
affiliation or ethnicity, but given only on the basis of
need," Dr. Page explained.

"CWS has always supported interreligious dialogue and
interfaith cooperation in Indonesia," Rev. Tankersley said.
"We will continue to do so, while our program will model
such cooperation."

Meanwhile, "people hesitate to make even educated
guesses about what will unfold in Indonesia," Rev.
Tankersley said.  "Elections are set for October but it is
hard to know whether or not they will solve anything."

"People asked for our prayers for Indonesia," Dr. Page
said.

 CWS plans additional projects in Indonesia to respond
to the current crisis.

-end-
 -0-