From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

RELIGIOUS LEADERS PROD MIDDLE EAST PEACE PROCESS

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 11 Dec 1998 09:41:39

Tile: Religious Leaders in Middle East Peace Process

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

Contact: Wendy McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227

128NCC12/4/98     FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

RELIGIOUS LEADERS PROD GOVERNMENT FOR STRONG ROLE IN
PEACE PROCESS

by Alexa Smith*

 WASHINGTON, D.C. ---- With a fragile agreement in
place and potentially volatile talks yet to come,
national Jewish, Christian and Muslim religious leaders
convened here to show support for peace between
Israelis and Palestinians and for continued U.S.
involvement in peace negotiations.

 Though there is little clarity -- and even
downright disagreement -- among members of the U.S.
Interreligious Committee for Peace in the Middle East
about what peace ought to look like, there is real
commitment to demonstrate that a carefully negotiated
peace is what the majority of Middle Easterners and
their U.S. constituencies want -- not unilateral
pressure or extremist actions.

 Just to make the point, leaders from the National
Council of Churches (NCC), the American Muslim Council,
the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, the Center
for Jewish-Christian Understanding, the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) and others gathered Nov. 22 at the
Foundry United Methodist Church, the congregation where
President Clinton and his family worship when they are
in Washington.

 NCC General Secretary the Rev. Joan Brown
Campbell, one of the Interreligious Committee's
national co-chairs, said peacemakers in interfaith
circles have been "slogging it out for years and years"
on Middle East peace issues.  She said that mainstream
Protestants have a strategic role to play in pushing
the administration to stick with peace negotiations,
because the Jewish community is so small.  "Without
[our] voices," she said, "the government will not put
as much energy into the peace process."

During her formal remarks, Dr. Campbell said that
the group was gathered for "a very
simple reason: to give energy, strength and courage to
all those who are peacemakers."   She said that a rabbi
once told her that the term "neighbor" is not "a
geographic term" but  "a moral term."  She closed by
saying: "So let us go forth and love our neighbors as
ourselves."

 "This administration - and other administrations
before it - has been committed to helping the peace
process proceed," said Ronald J. Young, the committee's
executive director, citing vocal lobbies ranging from
Christian fundamentalists to the well-established
American Pro-Israel Political Action Committee voicing
sole support for Israel.  "But there are pressures on
the administration, pressures [from] the Congress that
are almost overwhelming . . . and almost all the
pressure is, essentially, to adopt the position of the
Israeli government and get the Palestinians to accept
it."

 Use of such  pressure is not how his committee
wants to see the negotiations run.  Begun in 1987 to
bring Jews, Christians and Muslims together for
dialogue, education and peace advocacy, the
organization defines itself as working to build bridges
between faiths that share the Abrahamic tradition and
to work for peace as a moral imperative.

 "We've got no real political clout.  We've got a
voice, a significant voice," said Albert Vorspan, a
vice president emeritus of the Union of American Hebrew
Congregations who is one of the committee's three
national interfaith co-chairs.  "We've got a voice that
says the U.S. has to play a leadership role in the
peace process, no matter where we may come out
individually on the issues ... and we come to
understand each other."

 "This is the only platform I've heard of where
people of all religious faiths come together to share
one commitment to peace in the Middle East. We never
reach across bridges to the other groups."

 How hard that is was exemplified by the
committee's program where two speakers - one a retired
Israeli military officer, the other a female
Palestinian politician and activist - articulated
widespread support for peace within their
constituencies in a painful 40-year sovereignty battle.

But on the sticky questions - such as control of
Israeli settlements deep in Palestinian territory and
on how to stop terrorism - common ground was harder to
find, let alone, develop.

 Startling some in attendance were remarks by
Shlomo Lahat, mayor of Tel Aviv and president of the
Council for Peace and Security, an organization with 80
percent of Israel's senior retired military officers as
its membership. He proposed that peace, which is
necessary for Israel's security, includes: giving the
Palestinian state its 1967 borders and, in the Israeli-
Syrian negotiations, withdrawing from the Golan
Heights.  Peace, he said, also includes a commitment
from Israel not to interfere in the return of refugees
to the new state - ideas that go beyond what the
Netanyahu government is offering.  Lahat insisted that
the Palestinian government minimize terrorism, that
settlements, exempting isolated ones, remain within
Israeli hands, and that Jerusalem be the capital of the
state of Israel, with guarantees of religious freedom
for people of all faiths - freedoms that, Lahat said,
exist now for the three faiths.

 Stepping up next to the podium, former Palestinian
National Authority minister Hanan Ashrawi countered a
Jerusalem that includes two different capitals for two
separate states in one city is a possibility and not "a
pipedream."

 "We must find a solution to do justice to
Jerusalem ... and not reduce it to a spiritual place
where people worship," she said, arguing that the city
- despite Israeli rhetoric - is not open to people of
all religions because of permits often denied to
Palestinians and military checkpoints. "It must be a
place where people can live."

 Ashrawi articulated what she called a "sense of
outrage" that is "destroying the peace process" when
the international community - most particularly, the
U.S. - overlooks how Israel not only annexed the
historically Arab section of  Jerusalem, but continues
to build settlements on Palestinian land.  She said
violating human rights to curtail terrorists will not
end terrorism, but further the injustices and abuses
experienced now by Palestinians and erode trust in the
new Palestinian government.

 Likewise, the two leaders spoke differently about
the U.S. role in future negotiations. Lahat said the
U.S. can take several roles in the coming negotiations,
from aiding the Palestinian state in development to
interfering when agreements are violated, but Ashrawi
was more circumspect.  "So far, the perception is that
the U.S. has taken sides," she said, urging that what
has become a dangerously slow peace process should
include Europeans and Arabs.

 "The need for an active, determined U.S. role in
the coming months is absolutely clear," said Young. He
added that whatever differences were articulated by the
speakers, neither disagreed that a "morally logical,
politically realistic" peace is wanted by majorities on
both sides of the political divide.  "And, we cannot
assume that the U.S. will play a role unless we
demonstrate - as  unitedly as we can - that's what we
want the administration to do.

 "Nor are we cheerleaders for one side or the
other.  We are Americans," he said. "Our role is to
push and support the administration to play an active
[role] in helping the parties negotiate solutions ...
that remain acceptable to majorities on both sides."

 The errors and abuses of all three faiths were
singled out during remarks by Atif Harden, executive
director of the Washington-based American Muslim
Council, who asked each community to look at its own
record during the centuries each took control of
Jerusalem.  "Just as individuals are judged for how we
live our lives, I also believe communities are judged
 ... and one of the tests is: did we treat one another
with justice?," he asked, using Jewish, Muslim and
Christian history to raise questions about the future
in what he called "holy land."

 "Whose reign," he pushed, "was most just, most
righteous ... and who kept the land and the city of
Jerusalem a city of peace?"

  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Moderator the Rev.
Doug Oldenburg told that gathering that the role of
religious leaders is to "keep hope alive" in the midst
of a process that tempts North Americans "well-
insulated from the problems"  to be discouraged or
worse, apathetic.  "We've seen history open with
unexpected surprises," he said, citing as the foremost
example the collapse of the Berlin Wall. "And we must
keep hoping and praying that the God we worship will
bring about reconciliation. Our job is to keep hope
alive."

 That energy has been Young's point since he
founded the committee 11 years ago.  "We've got to hear
each others' points of view.  We've got to adopt
positions of advocacy that are sensitive to each
others' concerns ... [and the government has] to help
the parties work toward a solution, the outlines [of]
which are beginning to emerge."

-end-

*Alexa is a staff reporter for Presbyterian News
Service in Louisville, Kentucky

 -0-