From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"An Advent Night in Africa"

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 17 Dec 1998 20:07:00

17-December-1998
98417

    "An Advent Night in Africa"

    by Gary Payton

    "Hark the herald angels sing, Glory to the newborn King." The familiar
carol fills the night air with traditional sounds of Christmas. A
well-trained English choir recorded, no doubt, in a lofty Gothic cathedral
now plays on a boom-box on a quiet African night. The images that well up
from the heart at the sound of the first carol of the season don't fit the
Advent night around me.

    African tree frogs sound on my evening walk home, the red earth of
Zimbabwe clings to my shoes, sticky after the rains,  and crickets chirp
outside my window as I pause at the end of the day.

    "Peace on earth and mercy mild, God and sinners reconciled." Just
minutes before, a sky deep and giant  filled with towering thunderheads
boiling  and blowing and flashing with light.
Swirling gray against the blue black domes, thunder rolling from horizon to
horizon! And then, the cooling rains that bring steam from the surface of
the land.

    Now the rains have passed and in their place is a sweetness that fills
the air. Torch red flowers?  Renewed green grass? Or maybe the breath of
Mother Earth sighing after the waters of rebirth.

    "With the angelic host proclaim, Christ is born in Bethlehem." It is,
of course, God's same earth. But on this night I wait from the South and
not the North. I wait for the Prince of Peace. No wintry winds, no bundled
coats, no burning fire. This night I wait with the tree frogs and the
crickets and the rising steam.

    He comes for all you know. "Neither Jew nor Greek," nor old or young,
or black or white or brown or woman or man or gay or straight. He simply
comes for all.

    "And the angel said unto them,  Fear not, for behold, I bring you good
tidings of great joy,
which shall be to all people For unto you is born this day in the city of
David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord."

    The sheep and the donkey knew, and so did the tree frog and the
cricket.

Editor's note: This  poem was written by Presbyterian Peacemaking Program
Coordinator Gary Payton in Harare on the evening of Dec. 8.  He was in
Zimbabwe coordinating Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) workshops at the Eighth
Assembly of the World Council of Churches. - Jerry L. Van Marter