From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC'S "Shaky Ship" Goes on Sailing

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 18 Dec 1998 20:08:44

18-December-1998
98438

    WCC'S "Shaky Ship" Goes on Sailing

    PC(USA) delegates reflect on the Eighth Assembly

    by Jerry Van Marter

(Editor's note: Of the11 PC(USA) delegates to the WCC's Eighth Assembly,
only the Rev. Dawn de Vries was unavailable for an interview for this
story. - Jerry Van Marter)

Harare, Zimbabwe--The 960 delegates and 4,500 visitors to the Eighth
Assembly of the World Council of Churches (WCC) arrived here with several
crucial questions on their minds that, taken together, created considerable
doubt about the future of the world's largest fellowship of churches.

    Could the WCC make enough accommodations to keep the increasingly
restless Orthodox Churches in the fold?  Would the issue of homosexuality
tear apart the Council, as it has threatened to do with a number of member
churches?  Meeting in Africa, could the Assembly sufficiently convey its
solidarity with the people and churches of this troubled continent?  Have
drastic budget and staff cuts crippled the WCC's ability to respond
effectively to the needs of its churches and the world it seeks to serve?

    The messages out of this Assembly, which was held on the campus of the
University of Zimbabwe here from Dec. 3-14 are mixed, but closing worship
preacher Emilio Castro, former general secretary of the WCC, seemed to
strike a resonant chord when he concluded, "We have seen and lived once
more the mystery of God's presence and as a shaky ship we go on sailing, in
the words of Paul, 'setting our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of
our faith.'"

    As the WCC heads into its second 50 years - it was founded in Amsterdam
in 1948 - the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) will continue to play a
leadership role.  The Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, stated clerk of the General
Assembly, and Ashley Seaman, a student at Columbia Theological Seminary,
were elected to the 150-member Central Committee, which oversees the work
of the WCC during the seven years between assemblies.

    They succeed associate stated clerk the Rev. Eugene Turner and Kristine
Thompson, an elder from Washington, D.C., on the Central Committee.
Kirkpatrick was also elected to the WCC's 18-member Executive Committee.

    Angela Bohanon served on the Assembly's Nominations Committee and said
she came to appreciate the balancing act required to give more churches a
sense of ownership in the WCC.  As more churches join the WCC - membership
is now up to 338 - the task of meeting the desires of all churches to be
represented on the Central Committee, who's membership remains at 150 gets
tougher.  "We were concerned about including more churches and about women
and youth, but to meet those needs," Bohanon said, "some churches are going
to have to give up power."

    The importance of meeting in Africa was emphasized in every aspect of
this Assembly.  And by far the most electrifying moment of the Assembly was
the appearance late in the Assembly of South African President Nelson
Mandela.  Tara Spuhler, echoing the sentiments of many, said she was
"overwhelmed" by Mandela.  The 24-year-old PC(USA) delegate said, "I'm not
old enough to remember Martin Luther King, so Nelson Mandela is my real
hero -- his life and story is more real to me."

    The Rev. Karen Hernandez-Granzen said meeting in Africa encouraged her
to "claim my African blood, which I am always tempted to deny because of
the racism all around."  She said many Africans,upon seeing her when she
wore her clerical collar, came up to her with words of encouragement.
"They had never seen a woman minister of color," said Hernandez-Granzen,
who describes herself as multi-racial.  "They feel in solidarity with me
and say 'please keep doing what you're doing,'" she said.

    Thompson said the WCC "is in a tough place programmatically and
staff-wise."  Budget and staff cuts have left the Geneva-based staff
"feeling in flux," she said, "so programs feel in flux, too."  Thompson
said the WCC "still has a leadership role to play," but with the world
ecumenical movement growing more and more diffuse, she added, "the WCC
needs to move away from considering itself the center."

    Seaman agreed.  "On the central committee I will be interested to see
how the power shifts," she said.  "Africa has become the heart of
Christianity," she continued, "so the process of how styles and structures
change will be intriguing."

    In that vein, Kirkpatrick was one of the strongest supporters at the
Assembly of a "Forum of Christian Churches and Ecumenical Organizations,"
an initiative long advocated by WCC general secretary Konrad Raiser.  The
WCC will now take the lead in trying to draw together around one table all
of Christendom, WCC members and non-members alike to discuss matters of
common concern.

    Key participants in such a forum who are not WCC members include the
Roman Catholic Church, a large number of Pentecostal and Evangelical
churches and groups, and an equally large number of regional and national
councils of churches that currently have working relationships with the WCC
but which are not members.

    Kirkpatrick argued passionately for the forum, which some had feared
would distract the WCC from its unity goals by establishing a "parallel"
organization with less formal commitment to unity and less accountability
between its participants.  "I don't want to see any second-class status,
but let's not forget, friends, that renewal comes from reaching out, not
reaching in," Kirkpatrick said.  "We must find ways to involve the broader
body of Christ in our search for unity."

    Turner said he came to the Assembly with "many reservations about the
continuing presence of the Orthodox churches, but they have diminished."
Orthodox churches have grown increasingly unhappy with WCC pronouncements
that they consider too liberal and with decision-making processes that they
feel are stacked against the Orthodox, who comprise about 25 percent of the
voting membership.

    Two Orthodox churches have withdrawn from the WCC - the Georgian
Orthodox Church and the Bulgarian Orthodox Church - and the Russian
Orthodox Church, by far the WCC's largest member church, has suspended its
participation in the Central Committee pending the outcome of a
newly-instituted Special Commission that was created by this Assembly to
try and iron out the differences between the Orthodox and the WCC.

    Turner said the dissidents are primarily from the former Soviet Union
and Eastern Europe where the political upheavals of recent years have left
Orthodox churches in those countries suspicious of ecumenical bodies such
as the WCC.  Still, most of the 22 Orthodox churches remain staunch
supporters of the WCC and an "observer" from the Georgian Orthodox Church
tearfully told the Assembly that his church had withdrawn only upon threat
of schism by "fundamentalists and extremists."

    "We have to have the Orthodox in order to be a global conciliar body,"
Turner said, adding he believes the special commission will find the way
for full inclusion of the Orthodox.

    Spuhler expressed frustration that the "youth" delegates had so much
difficulty "injecting our positions into the actions of the Assembly."
Noting that positions on various issues had been carefully crafted at a
pre-Assembly youth gathering, she said, "It's challenging how to get
plugged in here because our positions are seen as 'youth issues' when they
really are global issues for all people."

    Similar frustration was expressed by the Rev. Unzu Lee regarding
women's issues.  "I don't feel very well" about the recently concluded
Ecumenical Decade: Churches in Solidarity with Women, Lee, who is on the
staff of the Women's Ministry Program Area in Louisville, said.  The WCC
tries to broaden the scope of its actions to appeal to more churches, she
noted, "but when you broaden the agenda, the specific needs of particular
people get dropped out, such as the needs of women and children in the
context of talking about war or the refugee situation in the world."

    Yet, in what seems to be a commonly felt love-hate relationship with
the WCC, PC(USA) delegates all praised the Assembly.  "When Mandela
arrived, our clapping converged into an act of God," Lee said.  "That unity
of spirit was powerful -- documents aren't all that happened here."

    Edwin Andrade, a PC(USA) delegate who is on the staff of the Synod of
Southern California and Hawaii, said the highlight of the Assembly for him
was worship. "Worship is one of the few places we can come together as
children of God without agendas," he said.  Andrade also expressed
appreciation for the small groups in which each delegate and visitor
participated.  "In such a large Assembly its hard to make strong
connections," he said, "so getting close to people of such different
backgrounds and experience made me much more aware of the diversity of the
whole church."

    The Rev. Marian McClure, director of the Worldwide Ministries Division,
said differing perspectives around the world was also valuable in the
Assembly's policy statement on global debt.  The statement called for debt
cancellation for poor countries, debt reduction for middle income countries
such as Brazil, tighter controls on international financial institutions
who have the power to ruin countries by rapid movement of capital and for
tougher measures to eliminate corruption and the improper spending of loan
funds by some governments.

    "The evolution of the thinking about the debt burden truly shows the
ways that we Christians need each other in all our diversity," McClure
said, "if we are to be faithful to the call of Jesus Christ to serve the
world for whose sake he died."

    And so the World Council of Churches enters its second 50 years.  The
Ninth Assembly is scheduled for the year 2005 somewhere in Asia.  Andrade
echoed a widely-held optimism: "As long as we keep trying, there's a lot we
can do."