From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC Assembly Wrap-Up, Part One

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 22 Dec 1998 12:30:54

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A.
Contact: Carol Fouke, NCC, 212-870-2227

132NCC12/18/98   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(Part One of Two: Being Transmitted in Two Files)

"TOGETHER, UNDER THE CROSS IN AFRICA,"
WCC'S EIGHTH ASSEMBLY COMES TO A CLOSE

Editor's Note: This news release represents a modest
edit of the wrap-up prepared by the World Council of
Churches.  The WCC's daily stories and photos from the
Assembly are available on the Web at http://www.wcc-
coe.org.  Accompanying stories by the National Council
of Churches News Service seek to augment - not
duplicate - the WCC's dispatches.  For more
information, contact NCC News: 212-870-2227.

HARARE, Zimbabwe ---- The Eighth Assembly of the
World Council of Churches adjourned on Monday (December
14) after member churches renewed their half-century
commitment "to stay together" and delegates promised to
remain in solidarity with their African hosts.

More than 5,000 delegates, observers, advisers,
stewards, visitors and journalists descended on the
campus of the University of Zimbabwe in Harare December
3-14 to compose what one local newspaper described as
"a mini-world."

As expected, tensions between Orthodox and other
delegations were evident during pointed and
occasionally angry debates, but Orthodox delegations
participated Sunday night (December 13) in a service of
recommitment to the WCC.

In many respects, said WCC General Secretary
Konrad Raiser, the Assembly confounded both friends and
critics of the Council.  "Despite earlier indications
that the Assembly might expose weaknesses of the WCC
and fears that the Council might break up," Raiser
said, "delegates showed maturity during discussions,
even in areas of conflict."

The delegates heard from three legendary African
leaders.  President Nelson Mandela of South Africa and
President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe credited the World
Council of Churches for helping them to cast off
oppressive apartheid regimes. The Right Rev. Paride
Taban, the Roman Catholic Bishop of Torit, Sudan, urged
the Assembly on December 5 to help stop the slaughter
in Southern Sudan and was apparently the target of a
retaliatory bombing in the town of Narus, South Sudan,
several days later.

The delegates elected a 150-person Central
Committee to preside over the Council until the next
Assembly in 2005, participated in hearings to set
directions for the Council in the next seven years, and
issued statements on a variety of public issues,
including the global debt crisis and human rights. They
also turned down a proposed amendment to the WCC
Constitution that would have given the power to elect
WCC presidents to the Central Committee, retaining it
for themselves.

The Assembly gave its backing to the creation of a
"Forum of Christian Churches and Ecumenical
Organizations" which could extend the WCC's ecumenical
outreach far beyond its 339 member churches.

The proposed forum could bring to the ecumenical
table nearly all of the mainline Christian churches,
including many that are not WCC members, such as the
Roman Catholic Church and major Pentecostal and
Evangelical churches. The forum could also include
regional ecumenical organizations, Christian world
communions and international ecumenical organizations.

Delegates and visitors participated in more than
600 contributions to a five-day "Padare" ("Meeting
Place" in the Shona language) in which subjects ranged
from Evangelical-Orthodox dialogue to ministry among
the world's uprooted people to human sexuality.
Delegates attended two days of hearings to evaluate the
past seven years of WCC work and to make suggestions
for future emphases.

SOLIDARITY WITH AFRICA

The Assembly rededicated the Council to "the
African dream and agenda for the 21st century."  A
statement adopted on Saturday (December 12) said that
the WCC had already "sought to engage creatively and in
solidarity with Africa and to stimulate a new way of
looking at Africa."

"We are proud in seeing a vision of the journey of
hope of African churches for the development of the
continent for the 21st century," the WCC said.  "We are
determined to work out this vision that promises life
with dignity for the African people."

This vision, it said:

  Called the churches and Africa to work together and
creatively "to be in solidarity with one another, to
accompany those among us with burdens too heavy to
carry alone."
  Compelled the churches and Africa to work to
eliminate "the barriers and walls that divide and
enslave us."
  Provided ways "to reconcile broken relationships and
heal wounds inflicted by violent ways of resolving
misunderstandings and conflict."

Such a vision could be realized "if Africans agree
to work together in the spirit of pan-Africanism, and
manage their human and natural resources responsibly
and ethically, together and in partnership with one
another and with Nature."

ORTHODOX AND THE WCC

The World Council of Churches will set up a
commission on the participation of the Orthodox
churches, whose membership has recently been troubled
by dissatisfaction among some Orthodox over what they
regard as difficulties in making their tradition's
voice heard within the otherwise Protestant body.

The Assembly decided on Saturday (December 12) to
set up the commission, which will take at least three
years on its task. Half the members will be determined
by the Orthodox churches and half by the executive
committee of the WCC, after consultations with other
member churches.

The Rev. Paul Oestreicher (Church of England) told
his fellow delegates that the Russian Orthodox Church
was "undergoing a turbulent time of inner crisis.
However, its immense spiritual wealth, its deep
spirituality, are factors we should learn from.  More
martyrs have died for it than any other church and we
must express our deep love for the church and all it
has stood for in history."

On the participation of the Orthodox churches
during the Assembly, General Secretary Raiser said
although the scaling back of participation by some
Orthodox delegations in the Assembly, they had shown a
willingness to talk and to engage in dialogue. The
decision to set up a commission on the participation of
churches in the WCC is one indication of wanting to
find ways to reach better understanding. The Assembly
has clarified the agenda, which was now realistic,
Raiser said, and most Orthodox churches were eager to
be involved.

MANDELA AND MUGABE ADDRESS ASSEMBLY

President Nelson Mandela of South Africa called on
the WCC to be engaged in the entrenchment of democracy,
so helping the fulfillment "of the dreams of African
renaissance."  His surprise visit on Sunday (December
13) was seen to have heightened the significance of the
WCC as he used the occasion to bid its member churches
farewell before he relinquishes the leadership of his
country next year.

In the past few months, President Mandela has been
visiting selected countries and institutions for such
farewells. "It is because of the values you promote and
what you have stood for that I set aside whatever I was
engaged in, to come and join you," he told a capacity
audience at the University of Zimbabwe's Great Hall.
"As my public life draws to a close, I feel privileged
to share my dreams and my thoughts with you."

His Deputy President, Mr Thabo Mbeki, had been
expected at the WCC's 50th anniversary celebration. The
surprise turn of events, with Mandela accompanied by
Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe, brought all events
at the campus to a standstill. Assembly participants
thronged his passage when he entered the hall to have a
closer glimpse of Africa's most charismatic leader. The
scene was repeated on his departure by crowds estimated
at more than 3,500 inside and outside the hall.

A few days earlier (December 8), President Mugabe
had made a passionate appeal to WCC churches to help to
end what he termed "a global conspiracy against poor
nations." He said that the global order today belonged
to the strong and heartless, a world dominated "by
bullies." He went on to paint a bleak picture of "a
conservative world where rich nations tumble upon poor
ones with disgusting impunity," adding: "We call it a
global village in spite of the blatant inequalities of
its villagers."

Calling for the WCC's support, he named the debt
burden, unequal terms of international trade
accompanied by depressed commodity prices, and lately
speculative capital as among major factors wrecking
economies of poor nations and which require the
attention of the international community. Africa's
total debt stood at US$227.2 billion, $379 for every
man, woman and child in Africa.  Zimbabwe's debt stood
at US$5,005 million, $447 per person.

ARCHBISHOP TABAN CALLS ON CHURCHES TO INTERCEDE IN
SUDAN

The churches should intercede with the
international community to stop the slaughter in
Southern Sudan, Roman Catholic Bishop Paride Taban of
Torit, Sudan, told the Assembly (December 5). He said
he witnessed two blitz-style bombing raids by Khartoum
on centers where there was no military presence.
Referring to the no-fly zone imposed on Iraq to protect
the Kurds, he had said: "Our people ask, `Are we not
worth human life to be protected from the Sudanese air
force by the imposition of a no-fly zone?'"

His call was backed up (December 10) by a meeting
of Assembly delegates and visitors from Southern Sudan,
who urged the WCC not to be party to a conspiracy of
silence on genocide "being perpetrated by the Islamic
fundamentalist regime in Khartoum against the people of
Southern Sudan."

A week later, a bombing raid was reported to have
killed six people and to have damaged a cathedral and
school served by Bishop Taban. A letter from the WCC to
the foreign minister in Khartoum, Mustafa Ismail Usman,
said that according to its information, 14 bombs
exploded in Narus town square. In addition to the
deaths, 14 people were reported seriously wounded.

The letter (December 12) told the minister that
the WCC was shocked by the bombing. "Without judging
the motivation until more facts are known, we in any
case condemn in the strongest possible terms this act
of violence apparently directed at Bishop Paride. We
urge you to take immediate measures to ensure his
absolute personal security, and to identify and bring
to justice the perpetrators of this terrible act."

-end part one of two-

 -0-