From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Media Reports on Adventist Vegetarian Lifestyle

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 22 Dec 1998 13:15:20

December 23, 1998
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Media Reports on Adventist Vegetarian Lifestyle
[98/37/06]

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA, 06.12.1998   [ANN/APD/AP] The
American tradition of eating turkey for Thanksgiving in
November brought with it an article, published by the
Associated Press (AP), on those who say "no thanks" to meat.

"Vegetarianism is practised among many faiths and is
prevalent among Seventh-day Adventists.  Many shun turkey
and meat altogether, even on Thanksgiving Day," reports
Richard N. Ostling, AP religion correspondent.

In his report, Ostling notes that vegetarianism was rare
among Christians until what he terms the "founding prophet"
of the Seventh-day Adventist church, Ellen G. White, had a
health vision in 1863.  She joined forces with Sylvester
Graham and John Kellogg-known for Graham crackers and
corn flakes-in advocating vegetarianism on grounds of health.

The Adventist Church recommends vegetarianism but does
not require it, notes Ostling.

"Our bodies are not our own. They're God's by creation and
redemption, and we ought to represent him and not destroy
the temple he has given us," says Stoy Proctor, chief health
educator at Seventh-day Adventist Church World
Headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA.

The Proctor family enjoyed "Mock Turkey" for their
Thanksgiving Day celebration. The entree is shaped like a bird
and roasted with an oval of dressing inside, but it's really
brown rice, pecans and onions, says the AP report.

Both Christians and Jews believe that vegetarianism is the
ideal religious regimen, states Ostling.  They agree their diet is
good for physical, moral, and spiritual health.