From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist Church Targets Use of High Tech in Inter-America

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 22 Dec 1998 13:16:40

December 23, 1998
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist Church Targets Use of High Tech to Fulfil Mission in
Inter-America
[98/36/05]

Miami, Florida, USA    [ANN/APD] Seventh-day Adventists in
the countries of Inter-America are rapidly developing high-
tech solutions to the challenge of fulfilling the Church's
mission.

"We are in the process of greatly expanding the way we use
the Internet," says Leslie McMillan, communication director for
the Adventist Church's Inter-America Division based in Miami,
Florida.

"Our clear intention was to make sure Internet access is
available to Church workers. That process is now virtually
complete. As a Church organisation we recognise the
advantages of electronic communication."

The plan is to develop the inter-connectivity so that both
ministers and members can easily access information from the
Church.

"We see our role not as gate-keepers of information, but of
suppliers to all who want to know," comments McMillan. "Our
website now includes the latest news and information which is
accessible to all to visit."

The Church's involvement in the use of such electronic
technology has been very intentional, reports Jose Romero,
computer systems engineer.

"My role is to use available technology to make it happen,"
says Romero. I believe the Church should be looking to do
more on the Internet to organise the Church's presence more
intentionally. Already we have more connectivity, but this can
be developed, particularly in the form of an Intranet to
provide resource materials online."

The territory covered by the Division includes 32 countries
with a combined Adventist membership of 1.8 million.