From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist Church Protests Human Rights Violations in Sri Lanka

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 22 Dec 1998 13:16:41

December 23, 1998
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist Church Protests Human Rights Violations of Pastor
and Member in Sri Lanka
[98/36/02]

Columbo, Sri Lanka [ANN/APD] The arrest of Seventh-day
Adventist Church member Elkins Thurairajah of Jaffna, Sri
Lanka, on October 27, accused of terrorist involvement has
highlighted on-going concerns about human rights violations
in the country. Manickam Anthony Alexander, a Seventh-day
Adventist pastor and principal of the Adventist International
School in Vavuniya was arrested in March this year. He
continues to be held in detention accused of aiding terrorists
but still has not been charged or tried.

Thurairajah, 25, and the son of a pastor, was arrested during
a dawn raid at his parents' home. Despite their conviction that
their son is completely innocent of any charges, they fear for
his safety in the volatile situation. Both arrested Adventists
come from the minority Tamil group.

"We have tried to get him out, but every person that went to
talk with the authorities was told that he is a terrorist and he
is involved so that they cannot release him," said Pastor K.
Thurairajah. "We know that our son is innocent. He was an
active member in the church, and never had any free time to
spend on such activities. We have entrusted him to God and
left the rest in His hands."

Dr. Bert Beach, secretary of the Council on Inter-Church
Relations at the Seventh-day Adventist Church World
Headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA, has written to
the Sri Lankan Minister of Justice.

"The Seventh-day Adventist Church World Headquarters was
shocked to learn that a pastor and the son of a pastor from
your country have been arrested and are still in jail," says
Beach. "Our pastors are not allowed to engage in political
activities. In addition, our members know that no terrorism or
violence of any kind are tolerated."