From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist Chef Demonstrates Lifestyle Recipe

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 22 Dec 1998 13:16:44

December 23, 1998
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist Chef Demonstrates Lifestyle Recipe
[98/37/04]

Jinga, Uganda, 06.12.1998  [ANN] "The Seventh-day
Adventists have much to offer to the world.  If we practice
what our church stands for, we will leave a very positive
picture of what a worker can be," says Baraka Muganda,
Youth Director at the General Conference of Seventh-day
Adventists in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA.

While travelling to Uganda on a gospel outreach program,
Muganda experienced first-hand the impact a hard-working
Adventist can have in his work environment.

"Our outreach program was held in the town of Jinga," says
Muganda.  "When I arrived at the hotel where I was to stay
for the next three weeks,  I questioned the clerk in regards to
the fees involved for such a long stay."

The clerk called the manager of the hotel, Alice K. Guma, who
was expecting Muganda's arrival.

"We talked for a while and she shared her experience with
Seventh-day Adventists," says Muganda. "Then she told me
there would be no charge for my stay.  When I asked 'why'
she told me it was because of the hotel's Adventist chef."

Guma introduced Muganda to Wilson Kibuuka, a Seventh-day
Adventist Church member who has worked at the hotel as a
chef for eight years.  Kibuuka was trained in Denmark.

"He is the most hard-working, trustworthy, clean, on-time
worker at this hotel," said Guma.  "He has only one thing in
mind- to support us and our business.  His food is always
perfect."

Kibuuka had left such an impression on Guma that she had
decided not to charge for Muganda's room.

"If he were not honest, I wouldn't think of giving you this
privilege of staying here for free," Guma expressed to
Muganda.  "Kibuuka has made a great impression on all of
us."

The hotel management are not the only ones that have
noticed Kibuuka's work ethic.  Recently, the president of the
Republic of Uganda stayed at the hotel.  During his visit, he
spoke to the manager regarding Kibuuka:

"I have never seen a chef that keeps the hours this man does.
There are very few people like him who are willing to start
work at 5 a.m. and have such long days."

Because of his excellent work ethic, Kibuuka has been able to
secure Sabbaths off, and during Muganda's outreach gospel
program, Kibuuka was excused from work to attend the
meetings.

"His manager tells me 'he is so faithful at his job,' and there is
no question for them that he will complete his tasks," says
Muganda.  "Not only did he attend the meetings, but he also
brought co-workers with him. He's not afraid of talking to his
co-workers about God.  The way he behaves is very
respectful."

"I want my church to have a good name," says Kibuuka.  "It
taught me to be this way."

Four days before Muganda left,  Kibuuka asked him to hold
meetings to address the top management leaders in the hotel.
Speaking to all the hotel managers, Muganda prayed with
them and challenged them to strive for the excellence model
in their daily work.  Muganda also provided copies of Bible
Readings for Home and The Ministry of Healing for all the
managers.

"In developing countries, to be an Adventist is not a duty, it's
a lifestyle," says Muganda.  "Kibuuka is involved in a special
kind of ministry.  I came to that hotel with faith that the Lord
would provide for these meetings.  The Lord used Kibuuka
and his work to provide for a much needed gospel outreach
program.  As a result, 101 people were baptised."