From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Women's Caucus meets, reflects on "isms" in society

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 23 Dec 1998 10:22:05

The Episcopal Church
http://www.dfms.org/contents.html
Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>

by Kathryn McCormick

	(ENS) Confronting questions of power and prejudice in
society and how they hurt the church, the Episcopal Women's Caucus
(EWC) used its annual gathering in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in early
November to reflect on the "isms" in society and what women, and
men, could do about them.
	Led by keynote speaker Katie Geneva Cannon, the first
African-American woman to be ordained in the United Presbyterian
Church and currently associate professor of religion at Temple
University, the nearly 70 persons attending the meeting were
challenged to think about racist, sexist and classist stereotypes
and the damage they can do.
	Such stereotypes, Cannon said, have erected tremendous
barriers. She recalled the story of Fannie Lou Hamer, an African-
American activist born in segregated Mississippi who defied
authorities in her county by registering to vote. She was
repeatedly jailed and while there was once beaten nearly to death
by white sheriff's deputies. Yet she lived.
	Hamer, a God-fearing woman, learned to challenge society's
stereotypes, to "keep on keeping on," by following the path of
black women's ancient wisdom, Cannon said.
	Too often, she said, stereotypes block the honest
consideration of what each of us knows and has experienced, the
"human archeological sites" that hold memories and their deep
lessons. She cited the difficulties of African-American religious
scholars who feel they must engage in abstract religious discourse
rather than explore the liberation ethics that are much more
connected with real life.
	This kind of discourse leaves out "the Fannie Lou Hamers of
yesterday, the Fannie Lou Hamers of today and the Fannie Lou
Hamers of tomorrow. This type of invisibility reinforces racist,
sexist, classist stereotypes," she said.
Wisdom in experience
For the world outside the academy, Cannon said, the
understanding that there is wisdom in the experience of people,
especially those who have been victims of oppression, "emphasizes
the need, as people of faith, to see our responsibility to work
not merely through religious dimensions of contemporary issues but
to dig down deep into the social milieu" to witness the chaos out
of which we want to bring order.
In a workshop that filled much of the next day, Cannon and
three others-the Rev. Dr. Renee Hill, an Episcopal priest and
senior associate for justice and peace at All Saints Church in
Pasadena, California; the Rev. Dr. Mary Foulke, a Presbyterian
minister and senior associate for children's and family ministries
at All Saints Church; and the Rev. Dr. Susan Harlow of the United
Church of Christ, assistant professor of Christian education at
Meadville-Lombard Theological School-worked with the
predominantly middle-class, white audience to examine privilege
and its effects.
Hill suggested some actions that might be taken by
individuals and congregations seeking to discern where they are in
the hierarchy of oppression and where they want to be.
"Do power analysis. Understand who has the power, how is it used,
what is my own role in the situation, how can I redirect or
transform the power," she said.
	Second, she said, recognize that one kind of oppression
often is related to another, and knowing this will help in
planning strategies to combat them. Third, acknowledge that "most
of us are not only victims"-it is important that we each
thoroughly understand our own power and use it to make justice.
And last, she added, get away from the kind of thinking that can
lead to rigid stereotypes and learn to look at situations and
people in a way that allows for their complexities.
	Foulke added another dimension to the discussion by looking
at matters "specific to white, class-privileged, heterosexually
identified women's culture."
	The pressure to live up to the perfectionism many feel is
demanded by society, as well as the self-denial often seen among
this particular category of woman, often prevent them from seeing
racism as it touches their lives and keeps them from acting on the
problems connected with it.

Perfectionism and racism
	"Perfectionism causes us to suppress any evidence that we
have failed to achieve racial harmony," she explained. "Anyone
who reveals imperfections is shamed." The white person who owns
their own racism, she added, is therefore described as someone who
is breaking down. People who are thus shamed tend then to focus on
appearances, and tend to practice racial ignorance and spin
control rather than meaningful change.
	Added to Hill's and Foulke's remarks was a charting of what
women, and men, could do to transcend privilege, whether in race,
class, gender, age, disability or many other categories, and find
the connections and support that stereotypes don't allow people to
see.
Harlow emphasized that any changes to be made in how the
church responds to the inequalities in society and the damage that
causes "will take the effort and abilities of all of us.and it
will mean vigilance for our lifetimes."
This, she added, will require congregational study groups to
begin with questions that each member must answer, at least to
herself, including, How do race, class, gender and other
differences affect me? How is my humanity impaired by others'
oppression?
These groups then need to become educated by reading what
others have said about these issues and by talking with people who
have been victimized by discrimination and then these groups must
confront what they can do in their own congregations.

The work of reconciliation
	The Women's Caucus ended with a Eucharist celebrated by
Bishop Mary Adelia McLeod of  Vermont.
	In a sermon that focused on "the lie of full inclusion in
our church," and the hard, constant, work of reconciliation,
McLeod said, "When we stand before the judgment seat of God, the
judge who died for us will not ask, `Did you understand the
mystery of who I am and whip everybody else into shape?'
	"No, I think God's questions to us will be: `Did you love
me above all else and show that love by loving your brothers and
sisters as you love yourself?.Did you act for the benefit of
others?"

--Kathryn McCormick is associate director of the Office of News
and Information for the Episcopal Church.